What will change in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Read this story from Sosua news "What will change in Sosua?"
Sos?a-News

Can you believe that a suggestion of building a brick wall to seperate the restaurants and the street view??? Can you see yourself eating at a restaurant looking at a brick wall instead of the action of Pedro Clisante?

All I can tell you is that Neumann has yet to visit any of the expat owned establishements to ask their opinion on any of this and she is assuming that is what they want.

Street vendors, the cd girls, chicken vendors and the shoe shine kids are all part of the culture that many tourist enjoy seeing and experiencing. I agree on perhaps licencing them, but not getting rid of them all together. If the culture is no different than back home, why visit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lucille

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Enclosing in businesses behind a wall is a great idea.NOT!!!!

What a stupid idea, if it is even true..I dont understand how they think this will help Sosua. Thats the reason people come to places like Sosua and the DR..For that open Caribbean, tropical feeling..

Some of the idea's that you read about to clean up Sosua are so ridiculous..There are more problems in Sosua then just 50 Haitian Hookers..

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I really don't see the girls a the big problem in sosua, it is the young men that have caused and are involved in most of the negative issues surrounding sosua.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I really don't see the girls a the big problem in sosua, it is the young men that have caused and are involved in most of the negative issues surrounding sosua.

You may not, but a lot of people do. Including the family oriented tourists and other tourists who want something other than sex who are coming to Sosua in much smaller numbers.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
What I found most interesting is that a representative from the Air Force was at the meeting to discuss Sosua's problems....does this mean a precision air strike is being considered as a solution?? I heard the new Tucan Fighter Jets were just delivered... :ninja:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You may not, but a lot of people do. Including the family oriented tourists and other tourists who want something other than sex who are coming to Sosua in much smaller numbers.

I have only known Sosua for 7 or 8 years, it wasn't a family orientated place back then but seemed tobe doing sort of okay. I never have and never would recommend sosua as a family destination, infact I struggled to understand how ex pats would move there with younger kids.
I can see it would be an issue for those with families, but if people don't research before going there they sort of deserve what they get. I see your point but not the reason for the dip in visitors, you don't need to dig deep to find crap surrounding sosua of recent years, enough to turn people away so it seems.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
From what I understand

Punta Cana tried this and it worked. That's where the idea comes from. Seems strange to me but my wife (Dominicana) who knows all says its a great idea and will help a lot. Its easy to criticize but what ideas do you have to help????
At least there is an effort to try and make it better.

Reactions: mike l

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
maybe i'm wrong
but wasn't sosua built as a sex tourist spot?
and if so..why are they now trying to tear it fown
seems there's alot of room on the island to build all these fancy resorts
why would family oriented people even want to live in a sex town
if i were a family man i would pick another place..(just my opinion)

Reactions: SantiagoDR

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Punta Cana tried this and it worked. That's where the idea comes from. Seems strange to me but my wife (Dominicana) who knows all says its a great idea and will help a lot. Its easy to criticize but what ideas do you have to help????
At least there is an effort to try and make it better.

Punta Canta did what? Build walls???

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
you're wrong, but I guess your mistake is understandable.

try Sosua: An American Jewish Experiment for some of it's history. tourism, i believe didn't really take off till the 80s, and devolved over time to what it is today

What an informative article. Thanks for posting that.

The article does not mention, however, that inviting European Jews to settle here was also part of Trujillo's attempt to whiten the republic.

In the end, a horrible shame that more could not take advantage of the offer. So many lives could have been saved from the horrors of the Shoah.

And it's also a shame that so few know of the beginning of Sosua.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I think that some of you are just posting to P*** of us folks which actually like Sosua.
There is one road, Nay, Half a road, dedicated to the pleasures which seem degenerate to you others? Yo No Comprendo!!Para Nada!!
Why pick on Sosua again. I go there regularly. Never take a hooker, enjoy the scene, drink a few beers, eat excellent food at a great price, look over the ocean in a wonderful climate, no-one mugs me. no one hassles me, WTF is it with you people?
Go become Baptists or Something!
I like Sosua as it is!!!
Hands Off Do- Gooders! You've never improved nothing>.Ever!!
(Could turn down the music volume a bit tho')

Reactions: Seamonkey

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
YES! Enough downgrading Sosua, I too like it as it is.

Very nice, but unfortunately the two of you may not be enough to persued against the need for change. It can't stay as it is, that is shown in everyones concern, how to change is the question not all seem to beable to agree on.

Mar 2, 2008
First of all, not everyone has expressed the need for drastic change. There are a few geriatric puritans spouting off, but I would hardly consider them to be anywhere near a majority.

Secondly, not everyone is seeking a squeaky clean Sosua. There are many us who like the rough edges, and who appreciate the imperfections. Those imperfections make life interesting here. Some of us prefer not to live in a contrived antiseptic environment.

And thirdly, and most importantly, all the puffed-up proclamations in the world are not going to contribute a bloody thing to changing Sosua. Change will take its own good time, will not it will not be affected in the least by the wishes of a few ex-pat do-gooders.

Reactions: woofsback

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I dont see it as a problem - woman asks if you want sex , you say no thank you....problem solved.

they dont chase you dont the road....its only like someone asking if you want an avocado

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I say, change sosua so the family people can go there and enjoy the nice beach and be able to spend the night in the city. All of you whore mongers can go to thailand or some other depressed city in south america to get your rocks off. We want sosua beach back. The pedophiles and other stray dogs/misfits from all over the world can kiss a haitian hooker's ass somewhere else. Sosua needs to change and we want our beach back. I say build walls, chase the hookers out and shut down the brothels. This will certainly push 90% of sosua lovers to never come back.
I am all for the change and patiently waiting for the day when my family, my sisters and my niece and nephews can walk the streets of sosua without looking at these filthy misfits indulging in pleasures of the flesh (openly).
AZB

Status
Not open for further replies.