Gun Permit Renos

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
often enough asked, maybe even worth a Sticky for the Mod,
here is my Experience updated Monday November 15th 2010.

little changed, almost the same procedure than last Year.

Renos can be done at any office of the Ban Reservas.
no need anymore to fill in the Form(lil white piece of paper),
just bring Your old Permit, in case You have also the Permit to carry the Gun both are needed to present.

the Guy at the Counter will fill in all Detials as shown on Your old Permits directly into the Computer and ask for accuracy/still Validity of details as Phonenumber, Address etc.

You can not send anybody else to renew the permits,
it has to be done in Person.

costs for the normal Permit:
* DGII RD$ 2.200.-
* SEIP RD$ 1.540.-
* Carnet RD$ 700.-
* FIDEIComiso RD$ 500.-
* Comision Banco RD$ 105.-
--------------------------------------
TOTAL RD$ 5.045.-

additional Costs for the "Carry" Permit:
* SEIP RD$ 700.-
* Comision Banco RD$ 105.-
--------------------------------------
TOTAL RD$ 805.-

makes for both Permits together a Total of RD$ 5.850.-.
You get 2 Receipts, 1 for the Gun Permit and 1 for the Carry Permit.

it takes as usual 10-15 LABOUR DAYS before Your new Permits arrive at the Branch where You renewed them, so count simply on 3 weeks of Time.

important Points:
* nobody else can pay the renewal Taxes for You
* nobody else can pick up the New renewed Carnets for You
* to get the New Carnets handed over You need to present the Old Carnets AND both Receipts of the Renewal.
* Do the Renewal ahead of Time, as I did mine today Nov 15th while the old one expires on Dec 4th, because at the Moment Your old Permits Expire and You do not have Your NEW Carnets in Hand means Your Firearm is held by You Illegally, not permitted to carry around.
that last Point is Important, I had Myself last Year a Incident with My Gun and Hit hard together with a Mayor of the PN at a Checkpoint, I renewed My Permit ahead of Time but at the Day of the Checkpoint(few Days after Expiration Date) My New Carnets still not been arrived.

Yes, You loose the 3 weeks of advantage renovation Time, the Date shown on the New Carnets is always the Date of the day You Paid the Renewal, not the Date the Carnet is Printed.

Mike

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
I brought my boat from the united states to Luperon. When I was clearing customs, they asked If I had any guns on the the boat and I said yes. So they are holding the guns until I leave. I living in santiago and don't plan on moving the boat any time soon. I am worried that if I leave the guns with customs for too long that they will disappear. I have my residency and would like to get a gun permit, is this possible?

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I brought my boat from the united states to Luperon. When I was clearing customs, they asked If I had any guns on the the boat and I said yes. So they are holding the guns until I leave. I living in santiago and don't plan on moving the boat any time soon. I am worried that if I leave the guns with customs for too long that they will disappear. I have my residency and would like to get a gun permit, is this possible?

Yes, but because of the total gun import ban they will confiscate your guns.
You can get a permit, but you have to buy your guns here for some astronomical price.
Better to pick up your guns and take or send them back to the US.

The Hun

BTW: Great info from Mike on the permits and prices.
Thanks!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Interesting to know that carrying your receipts that show you paid for renewal is not good enough, you must allow for the snail like pace with which new permits are issued and "renew ahead" to try and guess how long that will take.

Not only Interesting, it is a real PITAzz,
I had exactly that prob happen to myself last Year,
I renewed, and On Time ahead of the Expiration Date shown on my Cards, AND I had the Ban Reservas receipts at hand, in my purse together with my cards. It took me to use a good connection to not get My Gun shipped to "Somewhere".
that's why this Year I asked at the BanReservas a couple Weeks ago the cashier, same Guy who renewed my permits last year, how long it will take(last Year I passed by 2 weeks after renewal, the cards been there, but that been some days after the Checkpoint, lol), so He told me to count on 10-15 Labour Days, that's why I renewed Today Nov 15th with my old Expiration Date Dec 4th which will be a Saturday, in the "Hope" to be able to pick up my New Carnets no later than Friday Dec 3rd, before a weekend during which my ole ones would be Expired.

Thei senseless "sensing" on that Procedure is:
There could be a Reason to Deny the Renewal, so as long as the new Carnets aren't Issued AND Handed out the old ones need to be Valid/not Expired or the Holder violates the Gunlaws due expired Permit.
""Sense"" my Azz.

in case there would be anything reported related to My Person and My Gun, it should be in the System, so the Clerk at BanReservas would see right away that a Permit will not get a Renewal Approved, but maybe such would make too much "Sense", lol.

Mike

Reactions: SantiagoDR

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
Thanks for the help. I stopped by the gun store in Los Jardines today and they said that I would have a hard time getting a gun permit. I have no problem leaving them in customs, but I am afraid that they might disappear soon. That is my only concern.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

You did get a Real receipt that shows aside of Your Full name and Passport Number/Cedula number also the Brand and REG Number of the Firearm, right?
otherwise I would really not count on it existence somewhere at Customes.
I had a few years back some very Funny Experiences with Customs.
in Your Place I would take it back and Ship it back to your Homecountry just to not loose it.
sure it needs to be registered there to be allowed to be shipped there I would guess, but I am not firm with Foreign Gunlaws.
keep us up to date if you do anything on that case,
I am interested in that just out of curiosity, I have Boats here on the East Myself.
good Luck
Mike

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
Yes, I got a real reciept from customs with the make and serial number. I wanted to give them the gun, but keep the clips. They wanted everything. My friend is vice-alcaldeza in Luperon. Maybe I will take a trip with her this weekend to Luperon and see if the guns are still there.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that's what I would recommend to do.
when in the Area check in there every few months just so they know You are still alive and the Guns have to be "available".

correct, they keep also the clips and every other Gun Part, none of that is allowed to be Imported, sorrily.
during many Years i got clips and shots, Laser pointers etc etc brought in by a Friend who owns a Condo here and travels back and forth between the USA and PC several Times per Year, but since 2 or even 3 years they did not even allow brand new empty Clips. he got 3 of them taken away once, been a hassle to finally get them out there due a Friend of the Marina who works with the Marina Troops as the Airport Security, since then we didn't try again.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
btw, as Vice Alcadeza she has the needed connections to Police and Marina, through either You can get a Gun legally and with the Papers for 'reasonable' Rates. that way I got a 380 Taurus, Mod 2004, for just 25K, it costs as a Model of 2000 and older at any Gunshop in St Dgo 100-140K, such connections save a lot of Bucks when purchasing firearms.

Mike

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
important Points:
* nobody else can pay the renewal Taxes for You
* nobody else can pick up the New renewed Carnets for You
* to get the New Carnets handed over You need to present the Old Carnets AND both Receipts of the Renewal.

Mike

Incorrect....i renewed Both my Fathers And my uncles Permits In two different bank reservas Offices.....one in SD and the other in Santiago! had absolutely no problem renewing either! To pick them up all i showed was the cedula of each person and the reciepts, then i signed the book! and this one on november 1st and 3rd

Last edited:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Incorrect....i renewed Both my Fathers And my uncles Permits In two different bank reservas Offices.....one in SD and the other in Santiago! had absolutely no problem renewing either! To pick them up all i showed was the cedula of each person and the reciepts, then i signed the book! and this one on november 1st and 3rd

good to know the different handlings at different locations.
My Renewal been at the BanReservas Mainoffice at the Crossing Veron on the East, across the Street from the Shell Gas Station.
here the Clerk specifically advised Me that I have to pick up the New Cards in Person and bring the old Cards and also bring the Receipts.
keep 'em coming from the different Areas, so everybody get's the Info for His/Her Area.

I suspect that each and every location will treat this differently, so everyone's experience and results will vary based upon location and the person you are dealing with behind the counter.

I also suspect that showing a paid renewal receipt without yet having the updated license cards will work for some police personnel and not for others. Admittedly it is a high risk situation.

ooh Yes,
the High Risk is to loose a Gun of several K'sUS$$$ Value, I would not risk such. Once a Firearm is taken away from You and brought to their Storage at the Palacio de la Secretaria de Policia y Interior You would need very good Connections to recover such Gun. and You would have a "X" on the back of the next Issued Permits, 3rd "X" means No further Gun Permit for Lifetime. the "X" are done for example when a Gun does not get renewed for a specific Timeperiod(I don't remember the exact Timeframe, it was some Months), I have an "X" on Mine due a Burglary at My House back in august 2006, got a Black Beretta 92FS stolen on that, the Authorities consider such "Not taken properly Care of the Gun to prevent that Others could get Access ti It", so they mark since then my Cards with the 1st "X".

Mike

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Also good to know about the 3 strike (X) rule.

So, does this mean you must renew at least a month ahead of license expiration so that you get your cards before the old ones expire and because of that you lose a month of the license period each time?

The new license starts on the day you renew it, so you would lose a month if you do it this way. I have been renewing on or about the date it expires and have had no problems of any kind. I find it takes about 10-14 days to get it back at the Bank.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Is it possible to renew it for 2 years, or 1 year is the only option? I was told that it's possible, but I don't know anybody who tried to do this.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Residency Yes, depending on how long You are the holder of a Permanent residency, You can Renew for up to 10 Years at a Time.
usual Renewal Period for Residency is every 2 Yaers.
Gun Permits have to be renewed every Year, and there's no need to exceed such, it is a completely Hassle Free Tax Payment once a Year, or to be on the save side as in my case every Year-minus 3 weeks just to be sure to have the new Permit printed in Hand before the Expiration date of the old Permit, can be paid at every Ban Reservas office around the Island, present everywhere, Cheap, and even counting in 3 weeks or take it up to 1 Month of prerenewal per Year, still cheap and not a prob in case of Money for the renewal.
considering the Value of a simple used ole Firearm here the yearly renewal Fees are a Piece of Cake I guess.

cheers
Mike

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Guys, you did not understand my question.

I don't care about residency because I have Dominican citizenship.

My question was can I renew my gun permit for two or more years instead of one year? Long time ago I was told that I can do it, but in this case I need to pay for 2 years (for example) plus ~20% fee or something like that, just in case if SEIP will increase renovation prices next year. I don't know if I can do that now, but I will ask the cashier at Ban Reservas about it.

I am asking about this because right now, for example, I am outside the country, so I need to fly there especially to renew my permits. And I don't know, may be next year I'll be on vacation again, so if it's possible to renew it for more than 1 year I want to do it.

Also, 2 or 3 years ago I had a problem with Ban Reservas, they lost my new permits, SEIP had them sent to the bank, but the bank lost them. So I had a week of headache because my old permits already expired at that point, and the bank told me to wait, wait, wait... So I choose the easy way to resolve the problem, just paid again for duplicados (like I lost them), and got them the same day in SEIP office. So, it's better to have this renovation process once in 2 years than every year.