How to get from Santo Domingo Airport (SDQ) to Colegio Blingue New Horizons?

rlsowns

Nov 15, 2010
I live in the USA, and am in a long distance relationship with my girlfriend that lives in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. She goes to high school and Colegio Bilingue New Horizons. I want to take a plane flight and go surprise her at her school, but there are some problems. I don't speak ANY spanish, whatsoever and I don't know how to get to the high school from the SDQ airport. Would my lack of spanish be a major problem or do most people in the DR, for the most part, speak english? And can anyone tell me the best and fastest way of getting there and back to the airport? Also, can anyone tell me how long the drive would be by taxi or whatever method you suggest? Thank you for your help!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I live in the USA, and am in a long distance relationship with my girlfriend that lives in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. She goes to high school and Colegio Bilingue New Horizons. I want to take a plane flight and go surprise her at her school, but there are some problems. I don't speak ANY spanish, whatsoever and I don't know how to get to the high school from the SDQ airport. Would my lack of spanish be a major problem or do most people in the DR, for the most part, speak english? And can anyone tell me the best and fastest way of getting there and back to the airport? Also, can anyone tell me how long the drive would be by taxi or whatever method you suggest? Thank you for your help!

High school ??!! :paranoid:

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008

New Horizon's is on Av. Sarasota just off Churchill pretty close to the city centre. I would imagine the airport drivers will speak some English and know where it is. If not, tell them to take you to the Hotel Ambajador, and it is on the opposite side of the street from the entryway to the left.

Search the other threads on how not to get overcharged/robbed/etc... by the airport cabs...

Sorry, it will take probably about an hour depending on time of day.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005

The New Horizons Bilinguial College is at Avenida Sarasota #51 Santo Domingo, right next door to the BQ Hotel that used to be the Delta and is still known by that name. A taxi ride from the airport to there will cost you (at the official tariff about RD$1300 or US$35) and will take about 1 hour except during peak traffic, which right now seems to be all day, every day, so I would allow up to 90 or 120 minutes for the ride.

Your lack of any Spanish would be a problem in general, but perhaps not a major one if you are anticipating just riding in from the airport and back. For the most part however, people do not speak English so don't bank on it.

She must be quite some gal if you're willing to invest the 70 bucks for the trip from the airport and back, let alone the airfare and associated hassle, just to surprise her at school - I hope it doesn't turn out that SHE will surprise YOU when you show up out of the blue......

Good Luck (I was always the hopeless romantic, too).

rlsowns

Nov 15, 2010
Sorry, just curious. But what exactly did you mean when you said, "SHE will surprise YOU when you show up out of the blue"?
The New Horizons Bilinguial College is at Avenida Sarasota #51 Santo Domingo, right next door to the BQ Hotel that used to be the Delta and is still known by that name. A taxi ride from the airport to there will cost you (at the official tariff about RD$1300 or US$35) and will take about 1 hour except during peak traffic, which right now seems to be all day, every day, so I would allow up to 90 or 120 minutes for the ride.

Your lack of any Spanish would be a problem in general, but perhaps not a major one if you are anticipating just riding in from the airport and back. For the most part however, people do not speak English so don't bank on it.

She must be quite some gal if you're willing to invest the 70 bucks for the trip from the airport and back, let alone the airfare and associated hassle, just to surprise her at school - I hope it doesn't turn out that SHE will surprise YOU when you show up out of the blue......

Good Luck (I was always the hopeless romantic, too).

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Sorry, just curious. But what exactly did you mean when you said, "SHE will surprise YOU when you show up out of the blue"?

Well, just remember the Boy Scout motto and that this is the Dominican Republic!! Anything can happen here, and probably will.

rlsowns

Nov 15, 2010
hahaha you aren't being very specific. are you talking about catching her cheating on me or something? sorry, i just have no idea...
Well, just remember the Boy Scout motto and that this is the Dominican Republic!! Anything can happen here, and probably will.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Suprise her somewhere else.....

do you know any of her friends? i dont know if surprising her at high school (colegio) is the best idea. The schools i have seen are usually big campuses

if you know her friends just tell her them to bring her to the mcdonalds down the street or to the park to surprise her there....

if you do go dont try to find her on your own. go to the office and ask for her...

learn some spanish so you can :
negotiate price from airport to SDQ
ask her for her in the school