No more tube TV's.....

Jan 9, 2004
FWIW:

According to my shipper, Aduana will, immediately, no longer allow tube TV's to enter the country.

I know that they are probably not even sold anymore, but many Dominicans, as they upgrade to LCD/Plasma, ship the old ones to family and friends back in the D.R.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
bought one two days ago....brand new...dirt cheap.
for one of the maids to have in her quarters.
she was very happy to get a colour tv....and i was f*cked if i was getting her a flat-screen job.

should get 10 years out of it at least......the telly too if i am lucky.

May 29, 2006
LCD/LEDs are getting dirt cheap in the US. Walmart is going to have 17" flat screens for $100 on Black Friday. 17" isn't a big TV anymore, but $100? Damn, that's cheap.

May 29, 2006
Most industry experts are predicting that Flat screen TV's are going to hit rock bottom prices after the end of the year.

I'm waiting till then.

And just what is a "tube TV" anyway???? (just joking)

I stop by the local Best Buy once in a while and the price and quality is simply jaw-dropping. What was $500 last year is now about $300 and what was $300 is now $175. You can get even better deals on close-outs.

Just checked their ad and they are selling 50"(125cm) screens starting at $650. That is WAY more TV than I would ever want.

May 29, 2006
Are there any stats on what percentage of households in the DR have TVs so far? I don't think those DVD vendors are just selling to tourists.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Electricity

If power usage is a concern ( I am solar, so I watch it).... the tubes use much less energy than the new LCDs

Stupid me, I shipped the flat screen before I was educated....I have a perfectly good tube sitting unused in the US

Dumb !!

WW

Jan 9, 2004
I actually read...

If power usage is a concern ( I am solar, so I watch it).... the tubes use much less energy than the new LCDs

Stupid me, I shipped the flat screen before I was educated....I have a perfectly good tube sitting unused in the US

Dumb !!

WW

the opposite on a cnet forum...when comparable screen sizes are evaluated.

Suffice to say the newer LED TV's, as they gain market share, will consume less than the LCD's.

The current flat screen "Deals" are mostly LCD, 720p, 60mhz. The newer LED, 1080, 240mhz TV'S and the newest entry, 3-D, are still fairly pricey...except for some of the off brand stuff.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Most industry experts are predicting that Flat screen TV's are going to hit rock bottom prices after the end of the year.

So, for us living in the D.R., does that mean that the prices will only be doubled instead of tripled?????

B in Santiago...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Oh No...., No more Boob tubes!

s3k8.gif

(The phrase "Boob Tube" is American and Canadian slang for a television set)

I stop by the local Best Buy once in a while and the price and quality is simply jaw-dropping. What was $500 last year is now about $300 and what was $300 is now $175. You can get even better deals on close-outs.

Just checked their ad and they are selling 50"(125cm) screens starting at $650.

That is WAY more TV than I would ever want.

30xczna.gif

The bigger screens make it easy to watch in bed without wearing one's glasses,
safer when falling asleep while watching.... ;) lol

I used to have a 6 foot projection TV.

vh5ag8.gif

The reason I got one was because the "Shrinks" said it was bad,
........ as it involved the user too much in the actions/show.

That sounded great to me, so I went out and bought one.

D in Tampa/Santiago

Reactions: waytogo