wi-fi Kindle question

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
I did a search but couldn?t find the answer I needed.

Specifically, if I buy and register a wi-fi Kindle in the US and then bring it to the DR, will the wi-fi in my condo get me access to Amazon?s site for downloads? or do I need to upgrade to the more expensive model with 3G? I just want to make sure I get the right one before I buy.

Thanks.

Bob

Reactions: mike l

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I bought my Kindle from Amazon in the US - it was delivered to my Miami P O Box address so as far as they are concerned I'm in the US. I use it to download books with my wi-fi here in the DR. I don't have the 3G version that works with the cellphone signal but a friend who does has used it here and in the US and Europe with no problems.

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
I bought my Kindle from Amazon in the US - it was delivered to my Miami P O Box address so as far as they are concerned I'm in the US. I use it to download books with my wi-fi here in the DR. I don't have the 3G version that works with the cellphone signal but a friend who does has used it here and in the US and Europe with no problems.

Newer 3G version (graphite) works US and abroad (about a 100 countries, including here).

Wifi is universal and Amazon isn't charged when you use it, thus wifi will work anywhere that there is wifi.

However, sometimes Amazon changes my country from USA to L.Amer & Caribbean, which limits content and increases prices. Not sure if it's because of using 3g over here or IP based. Anyways I have always been able to change it back, since I do technically live in the USA. :cheeky:

Reactions: mike l

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
I did a search but couldn’t find the answer I needed.

Specifically, if I buy and register a wi-fi Kindle in the US and then bring it to the DR, will the wi-fi in my condo get me access to Amazon’s site for downloads… or do I need to upgrade to the more expensive model with 3G? I just want to make sure I get the right one before I buy.
Thanks.
Bob

Short answer Bob is YES!
Mine was purchased & registered in the UK & on my recent holiday in the DR I found I could download books from the store & send books via its email address via my laptop.
Regards
Ian & Ellie

Aug 21, 2007
Newer 3G version (graphite) works US and abroad (about a 100 countries, including here).

However, sometimes Amazon changes my country from USA to L.Amer & Caribbean, which limits content and increases prices. Not sure if it's because of using 3g over here or IP based. Anyways I have always been able to change it back, since I do technically live in the USA. :cheeky:

You can always go on the Amazon Kindle site on your computer and buy what you want and have it transferred to your Kindle. Then it doesn't matter what country Amazon has you in.

However, for the 3G model, I am charged a fee for sending electronic material to the DR. I am charged $4.99 a week to transfer a daily newspaper and magazine. The $4.99/week covers all electronic subscription transfers.

I am not charged- to my knowledge- for transferring books.

Love my Kindle.

Lindsey

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Mine,also...

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
You can always go on the Amazon Kindle site on your computer and buy what you want and have it transferred to your Kindle. Then it doesn't matter what country Amazon has you in.

However, for the 3G model, I am charged a fee for sending electronic material to the DR. I am charged $4.99 a week to transfer a daily newspaper and magazine. The $4.99/week covers all electronic subscription transfers.

I am not charged- to my knowledge- for transferring books.

Love my Kindle.

Lindsey

Correct. All one time transfers over 3g are free (a book, a game). Periodicals are charged weekly for 3G. Private usage of Whispernet (to send documents to yourself over 3G) are also charged @ .99 cents per mB.

ALL transfers over wifi however are free.

To any kindle owners out there: Try out the Amazon word games "Shufled Row" and "Every Word". At least when I got it, it was free. Fun games and not time consuming... A bit like scrabble but IMO better.

As Reidy620 said "Short answer yes" but I know while I was waiting for my kindle I was interested in all this info anyways!

Seems like a lot of us DR1's are getting kindles huh?

I love it when someone asks me if my kindle DX is a cellphone... I tell them "Si, un BB. Dame su PIN" and hold it up to my ear pretending to make a call. The thing is about a foot long diagonally...

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is my verdict:

For the first two weeks or so I was using it all the time and beginning to get worried about how much I was spending, but then I calmed down! Now I've got a couple of normal books to read so I've held off from ordering any more Kindle versions online for the time being - it's now about 3 weeks since I used the Kindle.

The Kindle is agile and simple enough to use and it is great to be able to get a book instantly after so many years of living without real bookshops. All those years in Oxford had spoiled me! If it hadn't been for Amazon and the English Library in Santo Domingo, friends to borrow books from, etc. I might not have lasted this long in the DR.

In conclusion, I probably wouldn't have felt the need for a Kindle if I'd had normal access to books the way I did in UK. It's perfect as a back-up when you haven't got anything to read and it will be great for long flights and holidays in terms of not having to lug round books.

Aug 21, 2007
Chirimoya- You still are a virgin with Kindle. Give yourself a chance. Read 5 or 6 books on it. When you start to feel it's automatic turning the page with a click of your thumb, you will never want to go back to a paper book.

In the meantime, enjoy the journey.

Lindsey

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
(...) In conclusion, I probably wouldn't have felt the need for a Kindle if I'd had normal access to books the way I did in UK. It's perfect as a back-up when you haven't got anything to read and it will be great for long flights and holidays in terms of not having to lug round books.

My thoughts exactly! It is really more of a convenience thing than a "must have", but for extended vacations and flights it can be great. Should also be nice to download a daily paper once in a while.

Thanks everyone for all the information. It's good stuff. I didn't know what the consequences of using it outside the country of purchase would be. I have a better idea of that now.

Bob

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chirimoya- You still are a virgin with Kindle. Give yourself a chance. Read 5 or 6 books on it. When you start to feel it's automatic turning the page with a click of your thumb, you will never want to go back to a paper book.

Lindsey
I've already read more than 5 or 6 books - so maybe it'll be more of a gradual initiation in my case. :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Lindsey
Agreed.

It's still a tad bizzare to find a book on Amazon, click "buy"...and literally in seconds it's in my Kindle...

Aug 21, 2007
Okay, you novices...remember when you first learned to type on a computer and preferred writing on a piece of paper, then typing what you wrote on the computer?

Give yourself and the Kindle a chance. This is the future.

I gave all my books away. Am on my second Kindle. Love it.

Lindsey

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
kindle secrets. Go onliine to search for kindle books. Search criteria by price from $0 and up. That way you will find tons of free books, and many really, really cheap books. I got several 8 book collections for .99 total! If you are just looking for fiction to keep yourself occupied, this is the cheapest way to go!