97, 123, 62 & 8

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I just finished reading the latest issue of Revista Palacio and was gratified with the anti-Drugs results thus far.

The numbers in the title of this thread stands for the number of illegal flights related to narco-trafficking that were detected by the authorities.

2007: 97 flights importing approx. 38,800 kilos of cocaine.

2008: 123 flights importing approx. 42,200 kilos of cocaine.

2009: (The S?per Tucanos military planes started operations this year) the illegal flights decreased to 62.

Up to Sept 2010: 8.

Revista Palacio: 8 al 14 de noviembre de 2010

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2008
So does this mean the trafficking is being brought to a halt, or simply that the DNC is turning its collective back on more and more flights?

I see nothing in those numbers to be particularly thrilled about. There doesn't seem to be any major disruption of the supply train, as far as most reports indicate.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I just finished reading the latest issue of Revista Palacio and was gratified with the anti-Drugs results thus far.

The numbers in the title of this thread stands for the number of illegal flights related to narco-trafficking that were detected by the authorities.

2007: 97 flights importing approx. 38,800 kilos of cocaine.

2008: 123 flights importing approx. 42,200 kilos of cocaine.

2009: (The S?per Tucanos military planes started operations this year) the illegal flights decreased to 62.

Up to Sept 2010: 8.

Revista Palacio: 8 al 14 de noviembre de 2010

Excellent - the D.R. has won the war on drugs.

Thanks for that NALS - that is good news.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
So, what you have discovered is:

As the "Drug" payroll grows,
....... the number of "Detected" flights decreases.

Reactions: xtoclark

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
Great, so bored drugdealers are going to start being good citizens :squareeye

principe

Nov 19, 2002
War on Drugs

First off I wouldn't recommend anyone fight a war on drugs. Usually soldiers are sober when they go to battle.

Conducting a war on drugs is a very silly concept, but a neccessary waste of money i suppose.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that for every kilo of coke confiscated by the police another 10 kilos travels through DR under the protection of the very same police and the very same polititians who lead the "war" on drugs here.
call me a cynic.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Well at least, if you are correct, the drug trade is in the hands of the authorities.

In Mexico it seems the terrible problems of violence come from the drug trade being in the hands of independant gangs.

So not all bad......

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Change of Gov't

I think that the drug war escalated in Mexico when the government changed and the territories they helped maintain control over for years were up for grabs. I think the DR will easily follow that pattern as well. Don't think it'll get better before it gets worse.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The DR will never have the problems that Mexico has as long as Mexico shares a border with the States and has the abject racism and poverty it does.

Thanks Nals for the good news. I hope it is truthful.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The DR will never have the problems that Mexico has as long as Mexico shares a border with the States and has the abject racism and poverty it does.

Thanks Nals for the good news. I hope it is truthful.
I think it is truthful. First because the Dominican media this year has been unusually quiet regarding the illegal flights, and with the new findings it makes sense. But also due to the downward spiral the Cocaine trade has been in for the past few years as the most recent UN World Drug Report stated (Post 297).

I don't think the DR will ever get to the levels seen in Mexico, mostly because Mexico is where the vast majority of the drugs are shipped through. The drugs will continue to be shipped through there as long as the US continues to be a major consumer and they continue to share a very long and porous border.

Regarding the "it's going to get worst before it gets better", many people always say that, even after the worst has passed. It's a convenient term that can be used at anytime, hardly a predictor of anything.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No surprise here with the new planes.

But my larger concern is the drugs that get into the DR and can't get out, or the payment in drugs to locals for services rendered that stay here.

THEY are the real direct problem, enslaving the locals who, frankly, can't afford them.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Drug problem is a huge issue among the authorities in DR. The generals know who is involved in it and when the order comes from above to contain the situation, some people get busted. The drug crime among the drug dealers is also in a big mess. the tigres who work for drug dealers and try to steal money from them are found dead with 5 bullet holes in the head. left there as an example for everyone to see. The local drug dealers often employ police to make their deliveries and use them as security. When the coronel in charge tells the police to finish off some drug trade somewhere, guess what happens? they round up the tigres (example: dominican york deportees) and just put a bullet in one guy's head in front of the rest or just kill them all. This happens everyday in DR. When the americans put pressure on DR, the authorities take actions but you have to remember, the pay-off to authorities is in great sum so some choose to deviate on the drug dealer's side.
AZB
D