Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I drive this:
    (Honda XR400R, 400cc, 4-stroke, air/oil-cooled with self installed electric-starter)
    (But I also have a car when mother nature is doing her watery thingy...)

It is, IMHO, the best bike for this country: you can take a pothole (policias costadas I take with 40km/h), it has good power so you are always overtaking cars and other bikes, it's high so you have a good view of everything, tires can go through a lot of garbage and even nails without problems, it's very tough and can stand a good hit!

Now I have to say that I drive these "off road" bikes since I am 16 in Europe, Curaçao and here in the DR (5 years in Santo Domingo) and have more than +100,000km experience. Only 1 time a slight "bump in" with a car (besides the dozens of times falling off when doing off road at too much speed..); I had nothing, bike had nothing but front-bumper of car was destroyed! I never drive my bike when I consumed alcohol and never when I don't feel 100% fit to drive it.

I always (ALWAYS) wear a helmet (like this one , not a cheap one they use here, jeans (if you go down, which you will one day, with shorts....), closed shoes(never ever wear flip-flops or other beach-things!!) and have 1 rear-view-mirror; I like to know what is behind me, although with this bike it's not a lot...
    Last edited by Peterj; 11-19-2010 at 02:26 AM. Reason: edit image-size

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

To the person who sent me a pm offering a honda 125, for some reason my messages are gone in my folder. I am interested in a motorcycle...please try my regular email address which is [email protected]

Thank you

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peterj View Post
    I drive this:
    (Honda XR400R, 400cc, 4-stroke, air/oil-cooled with self installed electric-starter).
    Very nice bike!

But those tires are made for the dirt, not pavement. When you need traction most on pavement, you have traction the least. Additionally, stopping power on pavement is significantly reduced by those tires.

Like I said, all bikes are a compromise, and one needs to choose how they will actually be using the bike to select the correct one for the intended use. The wrong bike for the mission compromises saftey; then you really need the best protective gear!

Two websites for riding gear:

Motorcycle Superstore - Motorcycle Accessories and Motorcycle Gear-these guys have a massive selection of everything and almost all brands.

Moto Direct Ltd - Distributors and Manufacturers of quality motocycle clothing/accessories and high end carbon cycle products. -these guys have decent gear at outrageously low prices.

One of our V-Strom DL650's:

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cobraboy,

This is not a picture of my bike, was just to show the type of bike I have.
    You're absolutely right about the tires of the one in the picture; mine has a combination-tire: 80% road/20% dirt which works great.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peterj View Post
    I drive this:
    That is the kind of bike I like, I always rode off road motorcycles when I was young, Yamaha Enduro 100 CC / Honda XL 100 / Honda XL 125 / Honda XL 250 and the last one Yamaha DT 125 stolen from my house's driveway three months after I bouth it brand new.
    No more bikes for me...

JJ

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

cobraboy post #6 was very helpful, i'm looking to get some type of bike myself and that breakdown was indeed quite informational.

Peterj, about how much does a bike like that cost used in the DR?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moving to Haiti

Hi,

Im start a new role in Haiti in Jan 2011. Im a Harley Rider back her in the UK and ride with the HDRCGB and the AAVMCC.

I had been hoping to find a used Sportster (or even an old Pan) but from what I gather HD's are not suited to either Dominican or Haitian roads.

I will be working for an NGO whilst there I be in asecure compound, but I guess owning anything in Haiti will be at risk of theft, would you consider this the case?

Is there a used market in either country or is best to import in from the USA. a lot of the models quoted in these threads are alien to us in the UK.

Although Im sure its just branding...

Are there any Beull Trailies to be had Ulysese?

Brigg

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that there is a used car market for Bradleys... and for the old Russian Armed Personnel Carrier...those are perfect for Haiti.

And any good Toyota Land Cruiser will also do the job.

good luck..do good work.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I understand that there is a used car market for Bradleys... and for the old Russian Armed Personnel Carrier...those are perfect for Haiti.

And any good Toyota Land Cruiser will also do the job.

good luck..do good work.

HB

Think that answers my questions, I am going to find it hard not riding for a couple of years. Thank goodness Im home every 6-8 weeks... But then I have the possibilities of Stugis and Daytona beach.... Cant be all bad

Post Thanks / Like

I am planning to retire to the DR this summer. I am looking to get a new bike maybe a Suzuki S50 what do you think?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12