A major loss to the Dominican Republic "Freddy Beras Goico"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is being widely reported on the very early morning news programs in Santo Domingo and Santiago, that Freddy Beras Goico has passed away at 4:00 a.m. this morning. "His" channel, Channel 9 is running the news.

For the Dominican Republic, this is a great loss and the mourning will be felt all over, you can be sure of that.

Personally, I feel the loss, because like so many time in our lives, I wanted to say good by, and never made it.

More than 45 years ago, Freddy made me laugh so hard I could hardly breathe. At a little hangout on El Conde where some of Santo Domingo's 'artsy' folks could get together, Beras perfected his routines along with Cecilia and others. It was during one of these visits to watch Freddy that I realized that I could not live without the person who is now my wife, and I told her so in the midst of a room full of laughing people.

I worked with him on several projects, some, such as one of the first half marathons, sponsored by American Airlines were a hit. He was one of the major collaborators inthe 1986 Games in Santiago, as well as the Pan Am Games in Santo Domingo 2003.

He saved many, many lives through his chaity work, his intervention in tense situations and his incredible ability to make people smile.

God bless you Freddy, this old hillbilly will miss you dearly!

HB

Last edited by a moderator:

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I am so sorry to hear this news. I taught his daughter when we lived in the DR. It is a loss for everyone. But what a great story to help celebrate the good times of his life and how he contributed to helping so many.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
RIP Freddy. This guy was warm and a joy. :laugh: PJT had the occasion and privilage to meet him at an informal small dinner gathering when he got up from his table and mingled about with all the guests. He spoke and joked with everyone as if they were longtime friends. He will be missed.

PJT

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Very sad indeed. I felt as if Freddy was part of my family. Gew up watching his program and admiring this truly amazing human being. :-(

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Diario Libre and Listin both crashed due to traffic of this news. May he rest in Peace Leyenda Dominicana.

ginjer29

Jan 14, 2010
Freddy Beras Goico was a great entertainer. To me, he was up there with Carol Burnett, Jackie Gleason, Don Rickles and other greats. It is a great loss.

His were the only shows I liked when "exiled" to DR in the 80's. Laughing got me out of my funk long enough to realize it wasn't terrible being there, just different. My experience greatly improved after that.

Thanks and RIP, Mr. Goico.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Is this the same guy we're talking about? He sounds like he's tackling some serious issues in these youtube clips...

YouTube - Freddy Beras Goico dice: ?rmense.. quillao

YouTube - FREDY: EL NARCOTRAFICO NOS GOBIERNA

Freddy was a living legend. A very funny guy who also had a very serious side to him and who didn't back down from a fight. He was also a great humanitarian who was always involved in causes to help others (something most Dominican personalities are not exactly known for). He loved The DR. So much so that I recall when he was at the height of his popularity he was offered a huge salary to come to The US (Telemundo) and be the competition to Don Francisco and he refused on the grounds that he was content in The DR and didn't want to go anywhere else.

RIP Freddy...Those of us who grew up with you will miss your contagious laugh!!!

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
DR has lost a great man. Freddy was an excellent example of what humanity is all about. HE was a man with great humanity, integrity and dignity. Rest in peace dear Freddy. It would take a long time for DR produces a man with such high qualities as yours.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And that is just the "public" part....the lives of "tigres" that he saved from being shot out of hand by army or police is probably like Schindler's List!!! No kidding!! And the people he got his Dr. friends to operate on and take care of...must be in the thousands...

HB

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Back in the early 80s he was no.#1 in Dominican t.v. he always had good advise and said to audiences no hagan dano,(do no harm)he will be missed

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I must say how moved I was watching all the coverage yesterday - Freddy touched so many lives! In fact it appears he touched more lives in a positive way then most politicians etc. He made me laugh and cry with his programs!

Mar 1, 2009
He is a true padre de la patria, he is right up there with Duarte, Sanchez and Mella for us Dominican's maybe even higher. He was not afraid of a fight, but he knew how to pick his battles. He did fight for the cause of Bosch in the Revolution of 65, where he is shown with ammo and weaponry.