San Jose de Ocoa info

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
i will be visiting my Novia's family in Ocoa next month. I like to know a little about the place I am visiting before i go.

So far all i know is the piscina in Rancho Francisco, bar america, and the locals go to the park to drink at night....

I have been to D.R. often recently so I feel pretty comfortable in almost any place but i enjoy hearing suggestions from anyone that might has visited Ocoa.

places to eat?
places to drink?
Places to dance? *I owe the novia at least 1 bachata, Merengue, or salsa
places to watch sporting events? *football, basketball, and DR winter league are all going on :)

Anything touristy i can buy to bring back to my mother? Dulce de higo

Anything you can share would be greatly appreciated

dominicanpapi

Dec 9, 2003
Ocoa is a small little town. Safe to walk around. There is rancho francisco as your mentioned. That is located right before entering town on the right hand side. It has a nice big pool and you can eat and drink there.

As far as the clubs and bars.. there arent that many but they are all located in front of the park in the center of town. Theres few clubs and a few bars and one colmadon. There is also a hotel name el gran marien, it has a resturant in the first floor. El gran marien is algo right by the park.
so all the action at night is pretty much all around the park.
During the day than Rancho francisco is probanly the best option. There is another pool the place is called el Roble. this is located on the road going towards sabana larga.

There are a few cabanas but they are not located in the center of town.

There isnt really anything geared towards tourists in ocoa. You can probably buy some galletas de ocoa at any bakery in ocoa. Also something called polvoron. If you want to some some dulce de higo or any type of dulce than stop at a place called las marias. That is Bani, right before entering Bani when coming from Santo Domingo. They have all kinds of dulces there.

I hope this helps.. let me know if need anything else.

Reactions: woofsback

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
As far as the clubs and bars.. there arent that many but they are all located in front of the park in the center of town. Theres few clubs and a few bars and one colmadon.
Thanks for the info....

There is also a hotel name el gran marien, it has a resturant in the first floor. El gran marien is algo right by the park.
I am not sure which hotel the novia is planning for me to stay in. This is good to know. Both her parents have homes in Ocoa. In the event they pull the "what hotel are you staying at? dont stay there! stay here on the couch or in our sons room." trick...i can just tell them i am already payed, and have a reservation at.....^

There isnt really anything geared towards tourists in ocoa. You can probably buy some galletas de ocoa at any bakery in ocoa. Also something called polvoron.

I usually just bring my mom Dulce, mamajuana, or booze. the novia suggested the galletas, and dulce de higo. I will add polvoron to the list.

If you want to some some dulce de higo or any type of dulce than stop at a place called las marias. That is Bani, right before entering Bani when coming from Santo Domingo. They have all kinds of dulces there.

Bani is off limits for me with my novia ;) the current ex is from Bani and the novia will go crazy if i even look up when we are driving through Bani. I plan to pretend i am asleep as soon as we drive past Paya....

dominicanpapi

Dec 9, 2003
the good thing about Ocoa is that all the places to have fun are located very close to the park. ice cream places and places to eat and drink. also on saturday and sundays the park gets packed with people during the afternoon and well into the night.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
If you want to some some dulce de higo or any type of dulce than stop at a place called las marias. That is Bani, right before entering Bani when coming from Santo Domingo. They have all kinds of dulces there.

Bani is off limits for me with my novia ;) the current ex is from Bani and the novia will go crazy if i even look up when we are driving through Bani. I plan to pretend i am asleep as soon as we drive past Paya....

Las Marias is located in Paya, so if you tell her that you want to stop there, it will be okay. I recommend the dulce de leche with marmelada de naranja.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
i think i recognize this place

i think i stopped there last time...I bought some dulces for my friends kids, and i had some pastelitos de pollo...i remember the pastelitos being pretty decent.....

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Ocoa was nice

getting there is straight fwd. from Santo domingo(gazcue/zona colonial/tourist area) take 27 feb to route 2 towards bani when you get to bani stay on rt 2(caretera maximo gomez). you will see signs to ocoa rt 41 and you make a right about 2hours total.

Do not attempt to drive there in bad weather unless you are on a SUV with 4-wheel drive. I have been told the roads get washed away and saw evidence of that.

if you are a observant driver, spot potholes at high speeds, and slow down when needed you can make it there in a regular sedan. if not take the bus or rent a SUV.

you can find places to go off-road, fishing, and hiking but remember this is undeveloped land so be careful. if you dont know how to get your jeep out of the mud or cant walk several kilometers to the next town do not get yourself into those situations

places to stay. i stayed at hotel el balcon. rooms ranged from 500peso-900peso. nothing fancy. full size beds, electricity, running water, cable TV, and no internet. it is close to the park but not really meant for late night strolls but not many places in D.R. are meant for that.

There is rancho fransisco at the begining when you enter ocoa from the south. it is far from the park, up a dangerous hill filled with blindspots so i wouldnt want to travel from rancho fransisco to the main strip at night.

NightLife/Activities
I didnt really notice any restaurants. lots of colmados and cafeterias. Rancho francisco and hotel el balcon both have restaurants. Most people go to the park at night and the main strip of bars there. it reminds me a little of sosua. the bars are open air, they are all playing music, the street is closed off and everyone is in the street infront of the park enjoying a drink and dancing.

Overall i had a great time. It was a great change of pace. little stress. the weather is great. the nights are chilly and you get a cool breeze in the day. I didnt get to interact with the people. they are seemed pretty nice and private.