would you have done anything different....?

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
a few evenings ago, i went on a walk round santo domingo. i have regularly done this for a number of years.
i put my "walking kit" on and, as usual made sure, i was carrying no valuables of any kind.

....yeeeeaaaarrrssss ago, it would normally have been a pleasure to take a quick time out to talk to someone on the way you had never ever met.
these days, you can't help be a bit paranoid whenever someone approaches you, especially when it's just starting to get dark.

anyway....walking about....loads of dominicans also walking about, mostly coming out of work, when this bloke with a hand-bag approaches me.
i could see him cutting through others and making a bee-line towards me, and with about 5 metres between us, he says; "excuse me sir. one question."
apart from thinking "wtf!", i kept my mouth shut and kept walking my line.......only to hear delirious screams of "unpolite! unpolite!"
i resisted the temptation of turning around and saying "it's IMpolite" or anything similar. Also realised that all eyes were on me.

i have done reputations for foreigners absolutely no good whatsoever.....you probably know that most dominican people think we are all "cold" and back in our own countries we would probably leave a dying person in a street (which in my case is absolutely not true), but i cannot possibly think what he could have wanted to ask me that wouldn't have been a bit dodgy.

directions? i am 90% sure the bloke was dominican, he could have asked anyone.
english grammar? how did he know i spoke english?
timeshare? - do they still do that?
hare krishna? he had hair and was by himself.
invite back to his place? i am not gay, and don't look even the slightest camp (although that doesn't really mean anything, does it?)

it is most likely he had a harmless question, but these days it is just not worth taking the risk to find out.......... though i don't want to stop the walks just yet.

as i said, it was a few days ago, but it is still grating.

what would you have done?
stopped? or carried on your way?

Reactions: SantiagoDR

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
standard approach of someone you wont realy want to talk to - excuse me sir one question- heard all the time in cabarete

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
He was polite, he said 'excuse me sir', I see nothing wrong with looking at him and allowing him the 2 meters it would have taken for me to know if he was selling, begging or preaching and given him the usual, nah, 'I'm skint' or 'I'm atheist' that I usually say.
No need to be rude, he may have been geuine, obviously he would more likely be bonkers with a hand bag.

With strangers I have a one meter rule, if they try to touch me, or get in my face then I get pi$$ed, if they stay their distance then it's usually cool.

Reactions: Africaida

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
If a guy toting a handbag approached me like that I'd do exactly the same thing you did, whether in the DR or Philadelphia, PA, where I live, and I would have no regrets about having done so.

Reactions: Lucille

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
2 sides to every coin

it's good to be cautious...

with lots of people around i see no reason to fear
if he were gonna do something...
you walking away would have made no difference

he may have been dominican
or he could have been
sri lankan, indian, malaysian, pakistani, mexican, cuban...ect.
they have similar traights and can be mistaken for dominican until they speak
and thier english is not always as clear either

it's possible he wasn't dominican and was hoping you would be the ONE person there who could help him :)

i also believe that if you have a gut feeling go wiith it..most times it's right :)
can't see a right or wrong in this situation

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Though certainly not a daily occurrence, incidents like that have happened to me often enough that I am no longer tempted to reply with a perfectly justified rude gesture. (commensurate with his level of rudeness) I do get a kick out of the effort some of those people put into cutting you out of the heard.

The last thing I would do is loose any sleep over it ! !

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
the fact i continued walking, which is what most people would have done let's face it, made me an "unpolite".
if he had stabbed me, or perpetuated any other type of crime i would have been portrayed at best an 'innocent' foreign victim. even on this site i would have been listed as another naive tourist or similar.

it's kind of funny......both ways seem wrong....if presented with the same situation, i would take the one that is less wrong again.

any bravado would just be totally unnecessary.

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
the fact i continued walking, which is what most people would have done let's face it, made me an "unpolite".
if he had stabbed me, or perpetuated any other type of crime i would have been portrayed at best an 'innocent' foreign victim. even on this site i would have been listed as another naive tourist or similar.

it's kind of funny......both ways seem wrong....if presented with the same situation, i would take the one that is less wrong again.

Quit apologizing... You did just fine. Seriously. Unpolite? So be it.

Now, had you realized when you got home that you dropped your keys/wallet... That's another story.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just A Quick "Come Mierda Maricon!!" Would Have Beeb "Better"!

:cheeky::cheeky:CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

While this is quite vulgar, I do consider it to be apropos for this use. Some posters are not "getting" it...This could well have been a take=off on the Colombian scam where you are poisoned with a mind-altering bit of dust(Like GHB-the date-rape drug) and then your bank account is emptied.

This was and should be seen as a very dangerous situation. The unwary would think, "Oh, we are in the middle of the street and nothing bad can happen!" No longer true.

The OP did the right thing and what Criss suggested is quite proper, however ugly it might be.

HB-Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If a Dominican approaches me in the street as such and speaks English no matter if he wants a minute or a second I will usually answer por favor no and go on my merry way.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
"you probably know that most dominican people think we are all "cold" and back in our own countries we would probably leave a dying person in a street (which in my case is absolutely not true)"

Let me clear up one thing for you right away. Dominicans do not think this way about you. They are much to street smart for that. They watched and knew exactly what was happening and the guy approaching you knew exactly what was happening. The only one who did not fully comprehend was yourself. I can always look back to my time in the DR and laugh at how ignorant I truly was. It is amazing that I survived.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010

All things considered you did nothing wrong. You were unsure, didn't feel that safe and made what felt to be a good decision. Maybe you could have been the 'model foreigner' but thats not your job. When push comes to shove, its better to be 'unpolite' and alive, then polite and dead.

Not to imply that he automatically had some evil intent tucked away in his mysterious bag, but who knows. Its like not your typical ladron es going to approach you and say, "oye amigo, preparate....te voy a robar ahora mimo' oiste?....listo?....ok dejame sacar mi pistola, y e' facil....pero no te mueves...".

Its not your responsibility to uphold nor exorcise the cursed name of Foreigners, no matter what you do, to some people all foreigners are Fariseos, and to others you can never do any wrong. It is good to at least think about how your actions are viewed by others, that is very commendable, but don't get shot behind it either. You can be the nicest and most politically correct person on the Island, but that won't prevent some tiguere from pulling a gun out on you.

Be a nice and appreciate guest when and where you can, everywhere else que seas chivo. If you don't feel safe, trust your instinct and don't be afraid or embarrassed to run because of cultural etiquette. There are tons of people who ALSO sell things in the street, but they stay where they are and allow you to come to them.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Jesus, what odd, dramatic and ultimately negative responses. Remind me never to ask a gringo for any kind if help in public for fear of attempted murder accusations.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Jesus, what odd, dramatic and ultimately negative responses. Remind me never to ask a gringo for any kind if help in public for fear of attempted murder accusations.

With all due respect, thats not your typical I need help type situation.
"Hey there sir! Excuse me! Sorry for having to single you out, but I need your help to translate this book in my mysterious bag??"
Lets be realistic here. Is that how you go about asking people for help? If so then I retract my earlier statement, if not then you have to be reasonable and realize that a Foreigner is just that, foreign. If YOU were in a foreign country and someone came up to you in that fashion, would you not feel at least a little suspicious?? I hope that can be a rhetorical question for you. When you grow up in the environment you know what to expect, you know what to look for, you know what to do and how to do it, but when you are foreign to a place, you lack that ability. I'm not saying turn into a Samurai Warrior on everyone, but lets be realistic, people DO get robbed, victimized and killed en la republic dominicana, y si uno no puede distinguir entre el sincero y el malhechor, hay que ser prudente.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
i could see him cutting through others and making a bee-line towards me, and with about 5 metres between us, he says; "excuse me sir. one question."
apart from thinking "wtf!", i kept my mouth shut and kept walking my line.......only to hear delirious screams of "unpolite! unpolite!" .....

Your response was 100% CORRECT..... he already "TARGETED" you!

He did not have the right to insist you talk to him......

D in Santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my experience tells me that "just one question" will always turn out to be: "do you believe in jesus?" or "can you give me some money?"
the answer to both is "no" so i cannot be bothered to stop and have a useless chat.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Handbag Guy

I would have said, no I would have thought, no maybe I wouldn't give a sh--. about this guy especially if he was trying to sell you what was in the bag. Since you f-----up and didn't ask we will never know. I want to know what was in the freakin bag. Was it:

A.) An exotic pet

B.) A sex toy or

C.) Something he ripped off from the last Gringo who actually let him within 12" of his face.

Unfortunately foreigners' stand out like fake breasts. A taser would solve your problem, but then what do you do with bag?

S

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Generally speaking, gringos tend to have the reputation of being impolite if not boderline rude in many instances in addition to being arrogant. Yes there are Dominicans that are rude or get angry in public (a no no) but they are ostracized and ridiculed too. A typical Dominican reaction to a pushy salesman would be "no me interesa, gracias".