Driving around the DR on a Moped?

Lillajam

Nov 19, 2010
Hi!

Has anyone ever rented a moped and traveled the whole (or at least big distances SW - North coasts for example) DR? Are the mopeds allowed on all roads/highways?

Do many people travel on mopeds between areas? (not just in town)

Any recommendations on who to rent from in Santo Domingo?

Thanks, appreciate all help!

H.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I use to ride pop to Cabarete on a 100cc, not a big distance but enough on a small bike. A smaller bike would surely drive you literally insane. I've used a 125cc to get into the city from La Caleta/Boca chica again a small distance but in that quantity of traffic on such a small bike it is very mentally taxing if nothing else.
My personal opinion is you need a good size comfortable bike for any kind if touring around this place, I couldn't even imagine going from the capital to punta Cana on a small machine, would drive you insane.

Lillajam

Nov 19, 2010
ok ok...

have done my research now and you are right - for all the right reasons, especially safety. I will skip the moped, and rent a car.

THX!

Lillajam

Nov 19, 2010
3 weeks DR trip report/rental car

Ha!! ... and I was actually thinking to rent a moped! Thanks for the excellent advice as why not to... I Definitely would have gone insane. Just impossible actually.
I would Not recommend even thinking of a moped for the DR for big distance travel. It's a Big place.

The car was Excellent, I recommend Nelly Rentals, book online -good prices, But Next time - a 4 x 4! Anyway, AMAZING trip... seems like a surreal dream now, but Most excellent.

;) I'll be back.

Hi!

Has anyone ever rented a moped and traveled the whole (or at least big distances SW - North coasts for example) DR? Are the mopeds allowed on all roads/highways?

Do many people travel on mopeds between areas? (not just in town)

Any recommendations on who to rent from in Santo Domingo?

Thanks, appreciate all help!

H.

Sure if you have a death wish, go for it! Im not even trying to be funny