Motorcycle and scooter definition?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Recently been informed that a license is not required for a scooter here. Now I have used several smaller engined bikes here and always presumed a license was needed to drive one here. So, this is news to me, but with the coming move to the eastcoast coming up if I can get my lass mobile on the same bike as I would use then this would save a bit cash and make life a lot simpler. So my lass has no license, car or bike. So what defines scooter/moped/moto from a real bike, how big can I go?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Generally, a "scooter" is any two-wheeled machine with 50cc or less motor with 5hp or less output. It really has nothing to do with the design, i.e. a pasola vs. motorcycle. A pasola can be a serious motorcycle like the Honda Silver Wing or Suzuki Burgman (with a top speed of 220kmh:surprised.)

Depending on the country/jurisdiction many do not need to be registered or licensed, but often there are restrictions as to where they can be used. For an example, in the states expressway onramps often have a sign prohibiting vehicles under 5hp from access.

Often no drivers license is required to operate a scooter, but required for a motorcycle. Note in the DR that many young kids (under 16) ride scooters while older folks ride motorcycles.

There is a reason many small motorcycles have a 50cc motor, and not 55 or 60.

I'm not sure what the law in the DR is,but it's rare to see AMET load a Jog or similar 50cc bike onto a flatbed during a paper check. The 100-125cc bikes? All the time...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
[Thread Drift]

SYM from Taiwan sells scooters and Motos in the DR. Wanna bet you'll be seeing some of these here soon?

SYM Goldrich Cargo Scooter

Seriously, I'd buy one of these. Uber practical...

[/Thread Drift]

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't know of anybody who has a drivers license to use a motorcycle. I don't have one either. When AMET stops someone it is because they don't have a helmet, license plate or a copy of the matricula. They have never even asked if I have insurance.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I agree they are super cool for shopping, I bet they come over cheap here also, if the rest of the 100-125 bikes they sell here are anything to go by. Great mothers machine, cool for getting the family to the beach etc.
Havent seen them yet but have seen similar extended foot tray and flap saddle bikes around.