So how interesting is your day going to be?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I am contemplating catching the bus the either San Cristobal or Boca Chica, drinking a large quantity if beer, if in Boca trying to hunt down something close to a Sunday dinner, been missing my mums cooking lately, if San Cristobal then I expect I'll settle fir a few oildrum fried doo dars of some sort.
Anywhere do Sunday dinner in Boca? Haven't had a Sunday lunch in this country in over 2 years from Sosua. Never even seen one advertised here in the capital.
Tourist Sunday for me.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am contemplating catching the bus the either San Cristobal or Boca Chica, drinking a large quantity if beer, if in Boca trying to hunt down something close to a Sunday dinner, been missing my mums cooking lately, if San Cristobal then I expect I'll settle fir a few oildrum fried doo dars of some sort.
Anywhere do Sunday dinner in Boca? Haven't had a Sunday lunch in this country in over 2 years from Sosua. Never even seen one advertised here in the capital.
Tourist Sunday for me.

in Boca, the treat is the fried fresh fish and johnny cakes, all sold at the stands at the west of town on the beach. Pick out your fish and wait for them to fry it for you.

perhaps not your roast beef and yorkshire pudding

but great

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
in Boca, the treat is the fried fresh fish and johnny cakes, all sold at the stands at the west of town on the beach. Pick out your fish and wait for them to fry it for you.

perhaps not your roast beef and yorkshire pudding

but great

I've had the fish before, nice, but not my yorky puds, roast tatties, mashed turnip n peas with slabs of beef, swimming in thick dark lovely gravy. God I've just made myself ill with envy:tired:

Actually I've never looked before but is there a British place in the capital that does Sunday roast? I know it's a long shot but hey, don't ask.....

Mar 2, 2008
I know it's a long ways away from SD, and perhaps not your cup of tea, but the Brittania Restaurant in Sosua puts out some great British fare, at a very reasonable price. Loads of British ex-pats get their fix of 'home cooking' there.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
That's where I had my last Sunday lunch here, when bernie was chef. He also made a great batter for fish n chips, but you're right, tis a bit far fir my dindins. Some things are just a massive miss when not living around expats.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Surprisingly enough, I couldn't find any british/english type restaurants on www.menu.com.do

Our illustrious Rob should know somewhere!!!

You would think in a city this size, we could have 1 british bar.. I wont be shocked if we dont though, I have never met an Englishman in Santo Domingo, one Scot.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Surprisingly enough, I couldn't find any british/english type restaurants on www.menu.com.do

Our illustrious Rob should know somewhere!!!

Since Colin and Chris closed Coco's in the ZC about 4 years ago, there hasn't been a place serving good Brit style food to be seen in the city.

I think that for good home-style North European cuisine you can't beat Paul Scherrer at Chalet Suizo just west of Casa de Espana on Autopista 30 de Mayo. No chips (french fries) and rarely fish, but good beef, veal, chicken dishes, roast-fried potatoes, fine veggies, of course lots of sausages and great beer, as well as the best live rock and blues jamming on Saturday nights