Any reliable Pilot weather info for DR?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
We have just bought a plane and should hopefully have it down here in the next few weeks or so.

I've been actively watching the weather and comparing with the METAR at POP.

But here's the thing, it says that the wind at the moment is 12005 (that means from the Southeast at 5 knots), when it's clearly blowing a hooley!

As any experienced pilot will know, the weather, especially tropical weather can really catch you out quickly. And as we will be flying VFR, I would like to get as accurate weather picture as I can before I fly.

So if any seasoned DR pilots have any info please let me know.

Reactions: Bronxboy

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We have just bought a plane and should hopefully have it down here in the next few weeks or so.

I've been actively watching the weather and comparing with the METAR at POP.

But here's the thing, it says that the wind at the moment is 12005 (that means from the Southeast at 5 knots), when it's clearly blowing a hooley!

As any experienced pilot will know, the weather, especially tropical weather can really catch you out quickly. And as we will be flying VFR, I would like to get as accurate weather picture as I can before I fly.

So if any seasoned DR pilots have any info please let me know.
Call Flight Services and ask for a weather briefing and PIREPS from the area. They are the authority.

I used weatherunderground.com for overall conditions. METARS @ POP are meaningless.

Try Landings.com, it's the most comprehensive aviation website out there.

Reactions: Bronxboy

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Thanks CB, will try out those websites.

Do you know if the Lockheed Martin weather briefings cover the Caribbean? Can you also file internal flight plans within the DR through them too?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Thanks CB, will try out those websites.

Do you know if the Lockheed Martin weather briefings cover the Caribbean? Can you also file internal flight plans within the DR through them too?
I always filed flight plans leaving the DR at POP with the past station manager who faxed them around. The procedure may be more modernized now.

Get in touch with the current station manager, Ted Foster. Drop DR1's tflea a PM, I'll bet he can help.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Another option: I'll bet WSI has a home version of their flight planning software for subscription. I had it in my FBO and it may be what POP has. It used to be the industry standard.

What kind of plane, year and model, did y'all end up buying? Where will it be based?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
We ended up buying a C172P 1982 model with a 180hp conversion.

We'll be keeping it here at POP. We're in the process of sorting out the trust and registration at the moment and as soon as the paperwork is done, we'll start preparing for the ferry from it's old home in NJ down here.

Don't suppose you fancy helping out with the leg from FL to here do you?! Neither of us have done any island hopping yet!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We ended up buying a C172P 1982 model with a 180hp conversion.

We'll be keeping it here at POP. We're in the process of sorting out the trust and registration at the moment and as soon as the paperwork is done, we'll start preparing for the ferry from it's old home in NJ down here.

Don't suppose you fancy helping out with the leg from FL to here do you?! Neither of us have done any island hopping yet!
I'd love to. I've made about 30 flights to the DR, St. Pete/Clw (PIE)->WPB->Nassau->POP; retirn POP->WPB->PIE. That's in a 182 however, so Nassau->POP was easy (my 182 had 92g of fuel and like 6.5hrs endurance @ 145k). I suspect you'll make more stops.

A 172 isn't ideal for over water flights...as you know.

Seriously, my suggestion is to hire a ferry company to do the flying, go along as co-pilot. They know what they're doing for things just like this. I can hook you up if needed. My flight school trained several guys who did ferry work.