Canadian passes away from slip at resort...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hospital bill: "family says they were required to pay the hospital $10,000 for care"
total bill: "the bill, which is expected to near $100,000, which includes bringing body back to Canada"

10k for a hospital sounds about right, i guess. a private hospital, private room and all the procedures the hospital managed to fit in to hike up the bill.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
100k is total total including bringing the body home, all the paperwork, transport within DR... so with 10k hospital all those costs would come to 90k, that is a ridiculous price, frankly.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Can I ask which was was "the best medical facility in the country"????

This sounds strange..

HB

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
100k is total total including bringing the body home, all the paperwork, transport within DR... so with 10k hospital all those costs would come to 90k, that is a ridiculous price, frankly.

Lets break it down a bit......

10,000...Hospital Bill
54,000...Paperwork
35,000...Internal Transport
1,000.....Bringing the body home

WITH THESE KIND OF CHARGES.......
I'M SURPRISED ANYONE HERE ON VACATION MAKES IT OUT ALIVE......
MORE PROFITABLE THAN SELLING DRUGS.....:ermm:

B in Santiago

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
hmmm is this about the same thread that was open a few days ago regarding a slip on wet floor at a hotel, the lawyer was asking about similar situation?

Mar 2, 2008
It might be, but I thought the other one involved an attorney in the UK, not Canada.

hmmm is this about the same thread that was open a few days ago regarding a slip on wet floor at a hotel, the lawyer was asking about similar situation?

M.A.R.

May 5, 2007
the cost of Medical air will truly startle you. I had a friend who was flown by Tri State Life Flite in Arizona 99 miles from Oatman Az to a trauma Center in Las Vegas, with Pilot, Paramedic and flight Nurse $25,000.00 USD Calculate the cost of a 2000 mile plus flight with minimum of one doctor, 1-2 Nurses, anesthesiologist, respiratory and who knows what else due to med condition and add in a plane that can carry at least 8-10 above 30,000 to avoid turbulence...check with some of the air ambulance services, scary prices

Reactions: cobraboy

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, but in this particular case we are talking about the transport of a dead body which does not require nurse and medical aid.
90k dollars for shifting a coffin from one country to the other is a crime.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

engineerfg

100K for a hospital bill in the DR? what exactly is the 'best' hospital in the country? i thought that was clinic abreau? souds like the doctors were not paying attention while they did a wallet-ectomy

May 5, 2007
yes, but in this particular case we are talking about the transport of a dead body which does not require nurse and medical aid.

MY error, somehow I thought that price was for bringing him home when still viable

The body should only be a "freight" charge

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
100K for a hospital bill in the DR? what exactly is the 'best' hospital in the country? i thought that was clinic abreau? souds like the doctors were not paying attention while they did a wallet-ectomy

10k for a hospital bill, read the article again...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

That's true. Defuncts Dominicans are transported every day from US to the DR for burial and the costs never exceed US$5-7,000. Medical Air is another animal though.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
how did it go from from insurance and who's responsible
to the costs of transporting a body?
sometimes topics get switched beyond belief

tomorrow i'll start a thread about pink pina coladas
and by the afternoon it will turn into a dirt bike rally on the north coast?

E

engineerfg

well if you like pina coladas. and taking walks in the rain...