Pre-Paid Cell with Orange for Foreigner

mswb

Nov 24, 2010
Hi all,

I'll be spending six weeks in DR and need a local phone. My Spanish is average so just in case - what exactly is my option at Orange? Is plan Carnario the way to go? And how do you re-laod if you use all your credits?

Thanks!

Kevin

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Bring an unlocked GSM phone and your passport, you'll get a pre-paid SIM card.

mswb

Nov 24, 2010
I know that much, but Im looking for specific exact information on which plan, what the terms are and how to reload.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Once you have the SIM card, just buy the cards at any colmado, or Orange store, scratch the card and load on the phone by typing in the PIN.

You can also buy "talk time" on line, but that requires basic knowledge of the keyboard and an internet connection.

Orange web shop - planes prepago

Reactions: mike l

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know that much, but Im looking for specific exact information on which plan, what the terms are and how to reload.

When you bring in your phone they will activate it, insert a sim card, and give you as many minutes as you want. As your minutes start to expire, you'll get a text telling you how many minutes are left. Then you go to any colmado, or phone store, or buy a card at just about any traffic light [especially in SD] - size of a credit card. You scratch off the code, dial a # on your phone [instructions are on the back of the card], enter the code, and the money is added to the phone. Very easy.

AE

Reactions: cobraboy

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
When you bring in your phone they will activate it, insert a sim card, and give you as many minutes as you want. As your minutes start to expire, you'll get a text telling you how many minutes are left. Then you go to any colmado, or phone store, or buy a card at just about any traffic light [especially in SD] - size of a credit card. You scratch off the code, dial a # on your phone [instructions are on the back of the card], enter the code, and the money is added to the phone. Very easy.

AE
I've had an Orange "Flex" for several years. Flex is the "Orange Card."

Usta be able to call #221 and get a text message of your balance. Now you call it and go into the choice loop. I liked the old way.

I'm switching to a "plan" because the cost per call is much, much lower for sure, plus I want data for this tour season. I don't live on my phone and Orange has a plan with 150 minutes, 100 text messages and unlimited 3G data for RD$1250. Not bad.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
i went the the orange link provided by Tamborista in post #4 and when i click on a figure that i think i would like to pay i get this:

"no hay resultado que coincida con el criterio "

anyone else have this problem? i would like more information as to what you get when you pay a certain amount of pesos. but if they have no results for my selected criteria how can i get more info?

edit:

when i select plans for $0-$300 i get results but no info as to how many minutes or texts, im sure that it is nothing since that isn't even $10US. when i click the links to more expensive pre-pay plans, i get nothing...

Reactions: mike l

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i went the the orange link provided by Tamborista in post #4 and when i click on a figure that i think i would like to pay i get this:

"no hay resultado que coincida con el criterio "

anyone else have this problem? i would like more information as to what you get when you pay a certain amount of pesos. but if they have no results for my selected criteria how can i get more info?

When you buy a card for 200 pesos [$5-6], for example, you get about 180 pesos in talk time and the rest is taxes. Nothing hidden. How many calls you can make depends on where you call [and how long you talk].

AE

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
When you buy a card for 200 pesos [$5-6], for example, you get about 180 pesos in talk time and the rest is taxes. Nothing hidden. How many calls you can make depends on where you call [and how long you talk].

AE

that isn;t bad rate at all. although, what do you mean by where you call? if you are in el campo are the rates different than the city?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
that isn;t bad rate at all. although, what do you mean by where you call? if you are in el campo are the rates different than the city?

I think it depends on the carrier, but if you call the US it is [I think] 10 pesos a minute using the cards. I may be wrong, it seems someone said it's the same to call US as DR - I never keep track of where I'm calling. Someone will clarify that I'm sure.

And incoming calls do not use minutes in DR.

AE

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Orange charges around RD$9.25 per minute on a card program, I imagine the others are similar. And I think taxes are around 22%, so 200 pesos gets you 156 pesos worth of calls and that's about 16-17 minutes.

If you recharge electronically you get a 10% bonus.

Feb 7, 2007
For prepaid, Viva is the cheapest (Viva Prepago). A $100 pesos recharge will give you over 18.5 minutes of calltime anywhere in the DR + USA and PR. Only $100 pesos activation. BYOD or buy cheap phones at their stand. They will even unlock your phone for free or $200 pesos.

Now they have a promo when you activate by Jan 6, 2011 and you load your account with $100 pesos every month you will get 100 in-network minutes every month for free.

http://www.viva.com.do/activate-en-esta-navidad

I wouldn't use neither Orange nor Claro for prepaid becaus ethey are expensive. For fleet calling and business plans, that's a "caballo diferente", though

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
For prepaid, Viva is the cheapest (Viva Prepago). A $100 pesos recharge will give you over 18.5 minutes of calltime anywhere in the DR + USA and PR. Only $100 pesos activation. BYOD or buy cheap phones at their stand. They will even unlock your phone for free or $200 pesos.

Now they have a promo when you activate by Jan 6, 2011 and you load your account with $100 pesos every month you will get 100 in-network minutes every month for free.

Act?vate en esta Navidad | Viva Dominican Republic

I wouldn't use neither Orange nor Claro for prepaid becaus ethey are expensive. For fleet calling and business plans, that's a "caballo diferente", though
My understanding is Viva's problem is coverage and network consistency.