Avocado Tree

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We have a beautiful avocado tree that last year bore hundreds of incredible softball-sized fruit. We had a hard time giving them all away besides eating them every meal. We moved into the house in August '09 and the young fruit was already there.

This year we've had nothing, not one blossom or fruit. The tree has a lot of new growth and seems healthy, but no fruit.

We're in Jarabacoa where it's cooler tham most other places.

Can anyone give me some insight about how these trees work? Are they seasonal? Do they skip seasons?

We also have a larger mango tree that is very healthy but has produced exactly 5 mangos of dubious quality. We get new growth all the time and flowers, but no fruit. What gives?

TIA

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the science bit

rain at the wrong time stops insects pollinating and the flowers go soggy and drop off

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Cobraboy:

This lack of fruit is the result of a lack of communication with your Avocado tree. The tree felt it gave you the best fruit of your life but you gave it all away,and then you went and paid attention to that old mango tree that did not do anything for you.

Your avocado tree is sulking and it needs some tree food and some love. Talk to it and you'll see that it will produce for you again. Don't let it see you urging that mango tree to give you some fruit.

Avocados are notoriously whimsical. They have a major tap root that tells the tree when to flourish. Some fertilizer might help.

Dr. HB, tree consultant......

Reactions: MikeFisher

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Ahhh I remember those times when we had so many avocadoes we ate them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.........but we loved them........

Avocado trees seem to have a life span of about 40 to 50 years....because now our avocado trees no longer have avocaditos...:(....

I think your tree needs loving, you brought negative vibe or somethin'

May 29, 2006
Wiki says the trees are bienniel bearing, meaning they can bear a heavy fruit one year then little to none the next. The really good yield you had last year put stress on the tree and it didn't create the hormones this year to start the prodcess. Expect a good crop next year.

I've seen this happen with apple trees too.

faer

Jan 6, 2005
well the first strange thing is that this tree hasn’t flourished. it should have and maybe it hasn't been properly fertilized or the terrain is not suitable (to much clay) or didn't have enough water....
second, Avocado trees are, like many flowers and trees, able to “express” male and female characteristics upon blossoming. The problem is that they do it in different times, female do it first and male the latter, so they can’t auto pollinate. So when having an avocado plantation you need extra pollinating agents, such as:
another kind of avocado tree with different flourishing timing or
using a fertilization agent, such as bee colonies.

In your case, you neighbour avocado trees where unable to pollinate your lonely tree and it was unable to do it by itself.

So my recommendation is to get another tree or to buy a small bee colony.

If not, well you can always get some from your neighboor....

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
Another way to trigger a tree into bloom is to have a brush fire upwind of it. This can trigger blooms especially in tropical trees. Trees have evolved to detect forest fires and the first one to seed gets the newly opened ground. I know this works for tamarind for one, but I don't know about avocados.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Another way to trigger a tree into bloom is to have a brush fire upwind of it. This can trigger blooms especially in tropical trees. Trees have evolved to detect forest fires and the first one to seed gets the newly opened ground. I know this works for tamarind for one, but I don't know about avocados.

Peter!!!
so You recommend Robert to Bushfire the upwind located Neighbour's Property including that Neighbur's flourishing Tree to 'Stimulate' the productivity of Robert's Tree?

sound's logic to me, no doubt,
but maybe then afterwards the Tree will be full of Fruits but Robert need's to move to a new Neighbourhood, lol.

Mike

Reactions: AlterEgo
May 29, 2006
Peter!!!
so You recommend Robert to Bushfire the upwind located Neighbour's Property including that Neighbur's flourishing Tree to 'Stimulate' the productivity of Robert's Tree?

sound's logic to me, no doubt,
but maybe then afterwards the Tree will be full of Fruits but Robert need's to move to a new Neighbourhood, lol.

Mike

He can also make some money selling aguacates to his neighbor...

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I too have trees that give tons one year, then hardly nothing the next. I wouldn't be concerned.

As far as giving them away-are you nuts? Sell that tree!!! I got a few thousand pesos for each tree by selling the crop each year.

Only a gringo would do this.....ugggg:ermm:

Reactions: mike l

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
az81g0.gif

It never was an "active" tree.

It was just a "Real Estate" trick to get you to buy the property.

D in Santiago

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Wiki says the trees are bienniel bearing, meaning they can bear a heavy fruit one year then little to none the next. The really good yield you had last year put stress on the tree and it didn't create the hormones this year to start the prodcess. Expect a good crop next year.

I've seen this happen with apple trees too.
Bienneal it is!

It's exploding with new fruit!:D

Avocados-March.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
SEE??? It certainly was NOT Yanni at the Acropolis!!

When you come to Santiago, pls bring some coffee??? Thanks, I tried to call but no answer, changed ##s??

HB

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
SEE??? It certainly was NOT Yanni at the Acropolis!!

When you come to Santiago, pls bring some coffee??? Thanks, I tried to call but no answer, changed ##s??

HB
Same #,HB. How much and molida or beans?