Walk in rates at AI's?

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
I recall hearing that Dominicans and informed expat residents could get cheap walk-in rates at the AIs if they had space available (and they usually did). I recall being at a North coast AI that got a lot of Dominican business on weekends - but i never inquired about the details.

Is there any truth to this? It does make sense if they are running below capacity they would, like Cruise ships, almost give away space once they were sure it would not be filled at a higher rate.

Maybe there are already threads on this but I don't know the right search terms.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Yes you can get cut rates. There are promotions often for locals and expats with a cedula. This tends to be the criteria needed to get local pricing.

Often tourists coming in can get really good rates. Tour Operators bulk buy to guarantee their room allotments for high seasons. Thus they will blow out inventory during the low seasons. Not only check at the hotel itself but check online for hotel only options at the various clearance websites,like cheap Caribbean.

May 29, 2006
I've never tried it at an AI, but depending on what time of day it is, you can often haggle in smaller hotels. It helps if you travel light enough where you can try somewhere else if they won't negociate. Show up between 4-6 and if they have a half dozen empty rooms and you have some leverage, but show up at 10pm looking tired and they won't budge. You can often haggle three days for the price of two.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
there are once in a while, specially over holiday weekends and also during the low season periods, cheap local walk in rates out, announced on the Radio or written in the papers, but only offered by specific Budget Resorts here on the East.
for the good Spots the Walk In Rates are often outrageous High.
We spend every year several Times a week or a 4 nights long weekend at Resorts here, and mostly we book that through foreign online Travel Sites, Cheaper than walk in with pesos or dollars in hand.
some Budget Places here have sometimes offers of 1000 pesos and less per night, with the Room and AI, sure also many "Working Gals" use such offers to rent cheap Working Space at a Resort with all those 'hungry' Clients right next Door, lol.

Mike

Reactions: waytogo