Please Help!

helpinafriend

Nov 25, 2010
My best friend and her husband are currently in DR in a place called Samana? They were on a cruise and her husbands lung collapsed. He was rushed to hospital and is now doing better. The issue is that he cannot fly for 3 weeks minimum. The cruise ship left shortly after they got off and now we are trying to find them a boat to Florida. Once in Florida she can then drive him home. Anyone have any suggestions. We are desperate. They have 3 young children that they left on the cruise with their parents but they are hysterical and want their parents to get home.

Any help would really be appreciated.
Jackie

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I am sorry I cannot be of help but wanted to say how terrible I feel for your friends and their family and that I hope they get home soon.

dr_dreamin

Jan 20, 2010
I am so sorry for this distressing circumstance. I have two suggestions:
- contact a travel agent in Miami or New York (major points of departure for Carribean travel)
- somewhat roundabout, but ... there is a regular ferry from Santo Domingo DR (capital city on the south coast) to Puerto Rico ... possible there may be more cruise options available between Puerto Rico and U.S.

I wish your friends the best of luck in sorting this out.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
The Ferry from Santo Domingo and Puerto Rico is not currently in operation.

Sorry

Bob K

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Dont know what their economic situation is but it may be cheaper to stay in a boarding house in Samana for 3 weeks recuperating and then flying out of SDQ one-way. Now if the grandparents can watch the kids for a bit then it might be ok. Other than that, I dont know nor have ever heard of a cruise ship picking up people for the return trip back home. Also you should call the HQ for the Cruiseline, to explain your situation. You paid for the entire trip so they should offer you a credit for the return portion the next time the come to Samana.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Agreed. The cruise line that brought them in ought to offer some sort of solution. Wishing them all the best.

helpinafriend

Nov 25, 2010
thank you all

thank you all for your suggestions. We contacted the embassy and they directed us to medical transport. He is going to be flown by plane with a doctor and respitory therapist back to the US tonight. The cruise line would let them back on the ship arriving Wed but then it wouldn't get back here until Dec 10. Too long to be away from kids, work and be sick on a boat!
thank you all for your ideas. You are all very kind.
Jackie