Christmas gift exemptions

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Does anyone on the board know when Dominican Customs begins their Christmas gift exemption period for gifts brought into the country? Also, does anyone know what the exempt limits are?

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I?m not sure, but the exemption could be for everyone. My wife of Dominican descent, with US citizenship, and living here in DR has always taken advantage of this exemption.

It would be good to delve into this lil more.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
They have exemptions but that doesn't mean that the airlines will let you take more on the plane. How do people get around the luggage limits when bringing extra gifts?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
box embargo

Not just baggage limits. American enforces a "box embargo" each year during the holdiay season. It is a stupid rule and they almost lost a good customer over it. Last year I had a speaker cabinet for my guitar amp. Weighed under 50 lbs. Was told I can not check it.
I checked it to miami and spent the night in a hotel.

The next morning I took ataxi to MIA and the sky caps said I could not check the box. The guy at the luggage wrapping stand sold me a BIG duffle bag that the box fit in as the women at the AA counter in texas said if I fit it in a bag it could be checked.

I get to the gate and the woman is saying I can not check the bag because she can tell there is a box inside it. She asks what is in the box. I say a speaker cab. She says I oould take the speaker out of the box, and put the cab in the bag and I would be fine!

I tried to explain that it was pretty silly that the speaker cab in the bag was fine as far as weight and size go but the damn cardboard BOX was a problem? I said the box was to protect the speaker cab and weighed very little. It took a lot of arguing and demanding to see a manager.

The manager made an exception but only because the woman in texas said that if I could fit the box in a bag it would be fine. This was like a comedy routine.

Bottom line is if you have a typical dominican suitcase that is HUGE and loaded with 99.8 lbs of stuff. . . .you could pay 100 bucks and check it. If however you have a BOX. . . any box. . . .you are out of luck.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Since when has anyone ever been stopped at the airport to pay customs duties? I do not think it ever happens.

May 29, 2006
They have exemptions but that doesn't mean that the airlines will let you take more on the plane. How do people get around the luggage limits when bringing extra gifts?

The airlines simply charge more for your luggage. The rates vary along with baggage limits. The last time I brought an extra large item, it was $75 for being too big and another $75 for being too heavy. You have to check with each airline for dimensions and weight.

Reactions: Bronxboy

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The airlines simply charge more for your luggage. The rates vary along with baggage limits. The last time I brought an extra large item, it was $75 for being too big and another $75 for being too heavy. You have to check with each airline for dimensions and weight.

Please read Rafael's answer. I gotted bagged by AA during this time too. I was forced to throw away one suitcase, buy a huge duffel bag from them, and throw away whatever X-mas toys I had brought for the kids that didn't fir in the duffle bag. Didn't make sense to me. I witnessed many unsuspecting travelers having to throw away items. It is best that travels check with whatever airline they are using.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Since when has anyone ever been stopped at the airport to pay customs duties? I do not think it ever happens.

Oh yes it does! The first time I arranged for a dental clinic, Customs in Puerto Plata went nuts because the dentists had an air compressor to run the dental units (they thought it was a generator). We spent literally hours before they allowed the compressor in, with the understanding that it would leave with the group when the returned to the US a week later.

While I was there arguing with Customs, someone else was pulled out of line because he had a computer printer. They wanted so much money in duties that he simply walked away from the printer and left it in Customs.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
While I was there arguing with Customs, someone else was pulled out of line because he had a computer printer. They wanted so much money in duties that he simply walked away from the printer and left it in Customs.

That's what these morons are counting on. Every time they do this they laugh there collective ass's off. Every item that must be left at customs should be broken beforehand. SCREW THEM.....

B in Santiago

Reactions: Bronxboy

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Oh yes it does! The first time I arranged for a dental clinic, Customs in Puerto Plata went nuts because the dentists had an air compressor to run the dental units (they thought it was a generator). We spent literally hours before they allowed the compressor in, with the understanding that it would leave with the group when the returned to the US a week later.

Years ago they used to open just about all the suitcases at SDQ. One time I was traveling with my husband's cousin, and she and I were taken to a separate line and EVERYTHING in all our suitcases was literally dumped on a table. They decided we had too much clothes and that we were going to sell them! They wanted a ridiculous amount of money for the clothing, so we asked for a receipt and returned the next day with his cousin who was a commercial and air force pilot, and a general. We got out clothes back. I remember thinking that if I was a regular tourist they'd never see my face again, and pitied the regular travelers who don't have connections.

AE

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
That's what these morons are counting on. Every time they do this they laugh there collective ass's off. Every item that must be left at customs should be broken beforehand. SCREW THEM.....

B in Santiago

That is probably true. However, I was determined that they weren't going to get any money or equipment. They didn't, but they weren't happy about it.

For subsequent clinic trips, Customs hasn't been a real issue. One year they decided to check the expiration dates on all the meds the dentists were transporting, but that was the biggest problem we've had since.

One year, all 35 people walked through Customs without a single suitcase being touched. Of course, I had done all the paperwork beforehand and there was nothing they could do at the airport since we had written authorization from the Director of Customs in Santo Domingo.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
A warning!!!

AA has a Christmas policy that when traveling to the DR they will not except overweight suitcases no matter how much you offer to pay, no exceptions. I do not know what the dates are but if you are planning on flying with AA in December I would check the dates this is in effect.