dinner conversation?

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I know this is a strange question, perhaps it's been discussed before, why do so many Dominicans have caesarean births?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
1. its easier than vaginal births(ie. time-wise).
2. more aesthetic to the "lower body area", no excessive stretching
3. its typically lowers maternal mortality compared to vaginal births
4. easier on the woman, especially if she is small in stature.

And also, if you can afford a Caesarean you get one, they are about 25,000-35,000 pesos, depending on what you negotiate with the doctor. Many who cannot usually go the credit union(La Cooperacion de __________) to borrow the money for the procedure.

My greatest observance is that depending on the doctors training, there can be alot or minimal amount of scarring. North American technique is to make a small cut horizontally in the plane of waist. But European technique is to make a large incision vertically parallel to the legs. I think the European technique leaves a large scar while the North American technique can be masked by the beltline of the torso.

I have a friend who, following #1, is going into the Clinica Materna(in Santiago) Monday morning at 7am to give birth. It is a scheduled delivery and in most instances the child should arrive by noontime. And barring complications she should be back home by Thursday afternoon.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I know this is a strange question, perhaps it's been discussed before, why do so many Dominicans have caesarean births?

IMHO is for the money...
Doctor makes more money with cesarean delivery than regular births, specially in Christmas time....
and here ...you know..money talks .:bunny:

May 29, 2006
In the US, it's now over 30%. Another trend is to do a tummy tuck at the same time, but I don't know if they are doing that in the DR.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
IMHO is for the money...
Doctor makes more money with cesarean delivery than regular births, specially in Christmas time....
and here ...you know..money talks .:bunny:

Could be. I have a friend who is an anesthiologist in Porto Plata and the hospital pays her 5000 pesos per procedure and the OR is usually occupied with pregnant women. We were talking last week and she didnt know why doctors in the US dont like to do C-sections. I told her because OB/GYNs have the highest premiums for malpractice insurance because so many things can possibly go wrong in this practice.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
i can't speak from experience myself, however, being a nanny i hear alot from mothers. to my knowledge, a c-section has a very long and painful recovery compared to a vaginal birth.

i also don't know how it's more aesthetically pleasing than a vaginal birth seeing as how the woman has a scar after. yes, in time it fades, but nonetheless, there's still a scar (compared to no scar from vaginal birth). i don't know about stretching... but i would think that most stretching occurs when the baby is still inside, not after he/she is out! :cheeky:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
But if you re vain(or superstitious) then you might assume a loose "hu-hu" might be the cause or would be the cause of you losing your husband. And there could be scars from a vaginal birth if you had to get a D&C or had some other tearing issue involved. You do know that it has to stretch to accommodate the head of the child exiting, right?

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
C-section is not in any way healthier than regular vaginal delivery. The problem is that doctors in certain countries don't want to bother spending time on vaginal deliveries, and don't really know how to do it properly. The situation is the same in Ukraine and many other countries, unfortunately. My sister had two C - sections. It is not good for your body at all.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
But if you re vain(or superstitious) then you might assume a loose "hu-hu" might be the cause or would be the cause of you losing your husband. And there could be scars from a vaginal birth if you had to get a D&C or had some other tearing issue involved. You do know that it has to stretch to accommodate the head of the child exiting, right?

you just get the doc to put in an extra stich and no problem.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
C-section is not in any way healthier than regular vaginal delivery. The problem is that doctors in certain countries don't want to bother spending time on vaginal deliveries, and don't really know how to do it properly. The situation is the same in Ukraine and many other countries, unfortunately. My sister had two C - sections. It is not good for your body at all.

Why does everything have to be relative to Ukraine?
My ex was from Odessa and had a TTT even after vaginal childbirth.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
i guess that's where having a doctor explain everything to you would come in handy! i can't believe what women's bodies can do (or what some women AND men believe) :)

i thought a D&C was only for abortion procedures. i'm unaware of what that's used for in terms of delivering a baby. can you help me out here?

and yes, i'm well aware of what needs to fit through our tiny "hu hus"! HOWEVER, it does retract. i can only assume that it won't be exactly how it was before birth .. but it does retract! i couldnt imagine having my 'hu hu' being 10cm wide for the rest of my life! haha, i think you'd lose your insides if you went for a run!

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
"to remove tissue in the uterus that may be causing abnormal vaginal bleeding,[1] including postpartum retained placenta"

just found that on wilki ... so, for complications after the birth?

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I think I read here that one reason for more C sections in the DR is because the women have had little or no prenatal care. This causes more complications for a vaginal birth. In other words the doctors don't know what to expect from a natural delivery but they do with a C section.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I guess, I am more aware about the situation in Ukraine and can relate to it. It also bothers me quite a bit what is going on with the mothers and kids there, just the same way as all over the world. I wish people paid more attention to their own health in general. C section should only be done when it is really necessary. Many doctors in foreign countries just do as they please.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
it is about money. and the convenience of the doctor. it's much easier to say "we'll deliver your baby on this day at this time" and then not have to worry about being on call to wait and await while the baby takes its good old time coming out.

i have friends who at 38 weeks the dr starts with "well, if you don't start labor by next week, we'll schedule that c-section to get it over with."

sometimes, though, there are health issues. and once you have one c-section in the DR, you can't have a vaginal birth.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there was an article about it in hoy or listin diario few weeks back, i cannot find it now...
i think there are normal births in hospital publico but private clinics mostly do c sections. money money money.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
it is about money. and the convenience of the doctor. it's much easier to say "we'll deliver your baby on this day at this time" and then not have to worry about being on call to wait and await while the baby takes its good old time coming out.

i have friends who at 38 weeks the dr starts with "well, if you don't start labor by next week, we'll schedule that c-section to get it over with."

sometimes, though, there are health issues. and once you have one c-section in the DR, you can't have a vaginal birth.

I dont know...I m not too encouraged at having a loved one in any hospital here awaiting a vaginal birth. Who attends to her? There is no professional nursing staff here. I see alot of technical and expensive GE, Siemens, 3M, Toshiba medical equipment BUT I also see people who arent very skilled at what they do apart from using that machine. Plus, I think if Caesereans werent a big to do then the percentage of birth defects would be higher. I m guessing here but many of the cases concering mental retardation and congenital abnormalites could be due to poor pre-natal and peri-natal health care. Also, I think antiquated medical procedures, theories and contaminated or contraindicated medications affect the likelihood of birth defects. All in all, I d recommend a C-section if one lived more than 4 miles outside of a major urban center or in the campo.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i can't speak from experience myself, however, being a nanny i hear alot from mothers. to my knowledge, a c-section has a very long and painful recovery compared to a vaginal birth.

i also don't know how it's more aesthetically pleasing than a vaginal birth seeing as how the woman has a scar after. yes, in time it fades, but nonetheless, there's still a scar (compared to no scar from vaginal birth). i don't know about stretching... but i would think that most stretching occurs when the baby is still inside, not after he/she is out! :cheeky:

I CAN speak from experience, both my children were c-sections, and you are correct - long and painful recovery. First was in Manhattan [at NYU] and second was in Atlantic City, both first-rate hospitals and with excellent physicians. I can't imagine having one in DR and under NO circumstances can I understand anyone having one voluntarily, no matter where they live. Any anesthesia can be dangerous, why risk it?? And the scar is visible the rest of your life.

AE