Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question dinner conversation?

I know this is a strange question, perhaps it's been discussed before, why do so many Dominicans have caesarean births?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

1. its easier than vaginal births(ie. time-wise).
    2. more aesthetic to the "lower body area", no excessive stretching
    3. its typically lowers maternal mortality compared to vaginal births
    4. easier on the woman, especially if she is small in stature.

And also, if you can afford a Caesarean you get one, they are about 25,000-35,000 pesos, depending on what you negotiate with the doctor. Many who cannot usually go the credit union(La Cooperacion de __________) to borrow the money for the procedure.

My greatest observance is that depending on the doctors training, there can be alot or minimal amount of scarring. North American technique is to make a small cut horizontally in the plane of waist. But European technique is to make a large incision vertically parallel to the legs. I think the European technique leaves a large scar while the North American technique can be masked by the beltline of the torso.

I have a friend who, following #1, is going into the Clinica Materna(in Santiago) Monday morning at 7am to give birth. It is a scheduled delivery and in most instances the child should arrive by noontime. And barring complications she should be back home by Thursday afternoon.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyH View Post
    I know this is a strange question, perhaps it's been discussed before, why do so many Dominicans have caesarean births?
    IMHO is for the money...
    Doctor makes more money with cesarean delivery than regular births, specially in Christmas time....
    and here ...you know..money talks .

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

In the US, it's now over 30%. Another trend is to do a tummy tuck at the same time, but I don't know if they are doing that in the DR.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    IMHO is for the money...
    Doctor makes more money with cesarean delivery than regular births, specially in Christmas time....
    and here ...you know..money talks .
    Could be. I have a friend who is an anesthiologist in Porto Plata and the hospital pays her 5000 pesos per procedure and the OR is usually occupied with pregnant women. We were talking last week and she didnt know why doctors in the US dont like to do C-sections. I told her because OB/GYNs have the highest premiums for malpractice insurance because so many things can possibly go wrong in this practice.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

i can't speak from experience myself, however, being a nanny i hear alot from mothers. to my knowledge, a c-section has a very long and painful recovery compared to a vaginal birth.

i also don't know how it's more aesthetically pleasing than a vaginal birth seeing as how the woman has a scar after. yes, in time it fades, but nonetheless, there's still a scar (compared to no scar from vaginal birth). i don't know about stretching... but i would think that most stretching occurs when the baby is still inside, not after he/she is out!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

But if you re vain(or superstitious) then you might assume a loose "hu-hu" might be the cause or would be the cause of you losing your husband. And there could be scars from a vaginal birth if you had to get a D&C or had some other tearing issue involved. You do know that it has to stretch to accommodate the head of the child exiting, right?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

C-section is not in any way healthier than regular vaginal delivery. The problem is that doctors in certain countries don't want to bother spending time on vaginal deliveries, and don't really know how to do it properly. The situation is the same in Ukraine and many other countries, unfortunately. My sister had two C - sections. It is not good for your body at all.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    But if you re vain(or superstitious) then you might assume a loose "hu-hu" might be the cause or would be the cause of you losing your husband. And there could be scars from a vaginal birth if you had to get a D&C or had some other tearing issue involved. You do know that it has to stretch to accommodate the head of the child exiting, right?
    you just get the doc to put in an extra stich and no problem.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alyonka View Post
    C-section is not in any way healthier than regular vaginal delivery. The problem is that doctors in certain countries don't want to bother spending time on vaginal deliveries, and don't really know how to do it properly. The situation is the same in Ukraine and many other countries, unfortunately. My sister had two C - sections. It is not good for your body at all.
    Why does everything have to be relative to Ukraine?
    My ex was from Odessa and had a TTT even after vaginal childbirth.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast