Hormone treatments for child with stunted growth...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The story as I have it so far-a girl who is age 7 but in terms of physical growth looks to be about 4 years old.

A doctor in Santiago gave her mother the latest diagnosis, which includes hormone treatments for the child.

The cost is 400 thousand pesos (400 mil pesos). That translates into somewhere in the ballpark of $11,000 US dollars.

That seems rather steep, but I have no idea what this type of treatment entails or how long it lasts. Needless to say this is an astronomical sum for the mother who cannot afford this treatment.

Sooo...I need some help figuring out some options.

Would a health insurance plan cover the cost of such a treatment?

Does it matter if it's a pre-existing condition, or is there a waiting period for health insurance companies in the DR to cover something like this?

If not, are there any international health organizations operating in the DR that could help in a case like this?

I personally know of two Dominican children from poor backgrounds whose families came to NYC and receive treatment at Boston's Children's Hospital.

I don't have the exact details on how these families were put in touch with this hospital, but it may be because this particular hospital has some agreement with the Dominican government to help these children.

I don't know. It may also be due to the severity of their birth defects.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how this child can be helped.

And for any potential smart-alecks, this is about the child and not the mother.

Reactions: Lucille

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I don't want to sound like a know it all. I do not know the specifics of this little girls medical issues but I will share my story.
When my daughter was 5 years old and about ready to enter school her pediatrician voiced a concern for her small size. She showed me size charts for children her age.She wanted to do many detailed medical tests and procedures to correct her size. I didn't need her to tell me this. I knew my daughter was smaller than her peers. I looked at the doctor who was about 4 feet 8 and said to her. You are shorter than me ( I am 5ft.)
We are both shorter than our peers and we are doing alright. I explained that there are mostly short people in my family and I think probrably short people in yours too. She laughed and said, in this case you are correct and skipped the detailed medical tests.
Hopefully this is the case with the 7 year old that you know about. If not then I hope she gets the treatment that she needs.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Dulce-the young girl was born with other birth defects, so the stunted growth may be just another issue that needs addressing.

May 12, 2005
Berzin, St. Judes Hospital and all the Shriners hospitals in the US treat children fir free. Perhaps if one of these institutions got involved they could bring the girl to the US for treatment.

Reactions: dr_dreamin

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Berzin
That's what I was afraid of. I am a positive thinker and was hoping that she would have an easier solution. Hopefully someone with influence can take her under their wing. I will pray for her and her family.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Frank-I was wondering about this because of the two Dominican children I spoke of earlier who are being treated in Boston.

There is absolutely no way the families could have come to this country on visitor's visas, so there must have been another process they were involved with that helped them get here.

May 12, 2005
Frank-I was wondering about this because of the two Dominican children I spoke of earlier who are being treated in Boston.

There is absolutely no way the families could have come to this country on visitor's visas, so there must have been another process they were involved with that helped them get here.

I would imagine that there is another classification of visa that people receive for that circumstance.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I used to interpret for AIHA (http://www.aiha.com/en/) and another similar organization that works in the Caribbean

Maybe some non-profit organization can help with Visa arrangements? I know that AIHA has helped many children with health problems in the former USSR.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
If you are looking at insurance here - read carefully. Most coverage will not pay for ANY kind of hormonal treatments. Get something in writing saying they will cover this.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
But, hormones arent controlled substances. So find out what the doctor prescribed and see if you can get some to bring with you on your next visit. Now if they are intramuscular you may have to teach the mother how to inject them. If they are pills then you may have to cut them or grind them into powder in order for a small child to swallow them.

Check around. They are most likely cortico-steriods because her thyroid gland produces an abnormally low level or her hypothalamus has "wiring" issues. Yeah, see what the doctor prescribed, because were she older and lacked estrogen she probably has Kleinfelters or Turners syndrome or Muscular Sclerosis. If its just a lack of development she may be excessively low in testosterone and for that the doctor may have prescribed anabolic steroids, which could benefit a 7 year old with a growth deficiency.
But first things first, I d say get a 2nd opinion from a different clinic.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The child most likely has a deficiency of HGH. I know of two cases in Puerto Plata. The prescription is for Saizen. The cost is so high because it is around two fifty a month for three years.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Wow, this is why the OP wants insurance. But it won't be covered and if it was the annual limit on meds on many policies is 5,000 RD. Even if you can get 10,000 RD annual limit that won't come close.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
There is a program in the DR (found out about it when I was investigating options for the other cases in Puerto Plata) where the manufacturer will provide discounted meds IF the child has local insurance.

However, the catch is that most likely local insurance won't cover the child if insurance is purchased now. The insurers exclude pre-existing conditions.