Direct TV or Dish Network?

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
I have the option to bring either Direct TV box or Dish Network box from subscription in the USA. Is there any advantage to one system over the other such as signal strength, HD reception, etc? I've searched the archives and found that both are used, but most posts were older, so I am curious if one system has advantages over the other. Thanks.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
With one six foot dish and two LNB's (one has to go on a bracket), you can receive Dish Network.

I get about 95% signal strength, but lose it when it rains.

Don't know about Direct TV.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I dont think DirecTV works here, due to satellite positions or something.

I have Dishnetwork HD now, and it works during rain. Have two dishes (for HD you need extra dish).

Reactions: Lucille

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Heavy clouds and not rain may interfere with signal, dishnetwork operates with two dishes for H.D.T.V. Directv (if you can get it) operates H.D. with one satallite dish and three LNBs

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
There have been many threads on this topic In the past few months. It had been everyone's contention that Dish network was the better of the 2 systems.

B in Santiago

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Dish TV for me

I first brought down a DirectTV receiver for use in Costambar(North Coast) two years ago.The installation (using a 6 ft dish) was fine, except that I could not receive CBS (Channel 2 in NYC viewing area). Installer said I needed Dish to get Ch 2.
On my next return I had him install a Dish receiver, and Channel 2 came in fine. Based on your viewing area in the US this may or may not be important. No experience with HD however.

Feb 7, 2007
On my next return I had him install a Dish receiver, and Channel 2 came in fine. Based on your viewing area in the US this may or may not be important. No experience with HD however.

It's not your viewing area, it's your location area. Most local channels are transmitted over so-called spotbeams, meaning they can be physically accessed only within a cretain spot radius. Outside of that radius there's no signal that would carry those channels. This spotbeam technology allows the satellite companies to use one satellite transponder multiple times for multiple locations.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Thanks everyone!

I had direct TV back in the early '90's up through the ending of the hacks on that card with the 6' dish and it worked very well (except in extreme weather). Now with HD available, it seems that Dish Network may be the way to go, especially based on Conchman's recent experience. I never really thought too much about HD until I had it, then you can't go back!
Thanks again for everybody's help.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have the two satellite dish (both 6 foot dishes) system with dishnetwork (with 3 LNB's) and I have not been down due to rain once since I got it 6 weeks ago, and it has rained a lot here on the NC.

The only bad thing I have to say about it is that CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX are currently not available in HD due to a contract dispute.

Last edited:

raduran

Dec 2, 2010
Help with dish

Hello everyone, a newbie here. Just came down to the DR and brought with me a legit, subscribe with monthly pay, receiver. I had a fellow installed a 4 foot dish pointing, supposely, to the 61.5 sat, however, there are no reception, can't see any channels. The installer said that I needed a reset from dish, but when I called them they DO NOT want to reset, instead they offer to send me a tech to my address in the US. How can I get the channels. Please help.

raduran

Dec 2, 2010
Dish

Ok, am with you guys, think the installer was notn an expert on this, now my question is who can do this for me? Any suggestions? name, phone or place to locate a co. or person would be appreciated. Thanks.

raduran

Dec 2, 2010
Dish installation

Does anybody knows of any real GOOD dish installer in Sto. Dgo. (capital city)? I been told that my dish needs a realignment.

BDAboy

Nov 26, 2010
Ok where can I get the best set up for dish on the north coast ?? I am starting from scratch how much will I pay roughly for a complete setup ?? TIA

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Ok where can I get the best set up for dish on the north coast ?? I am starting from scratch how much will I pay roughly for a complete setup ?? TIA

Get ready to get ripped off by these bogusly trained installation persons or personnell!!!!

raduran

Dec 2, 2010
Dish installation

You're right JD, i called him and he came over right away, but like you said he's no good, looked at my dish then he said it was ok, and like the other guy, proceeded to tell me that I needed a reset. That was the end of that. So, am still looking for someone who knows how to align a dish.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Hi Folks,
Ok...heres what I got working. I am using the 6'ft dish and brought a "sub" Directv box from the states. I am using the same LNB I used to get 119 from the old FTA Viewsat box. I know that DTV (NO HI-DEF) "wants" 119, 110 and 101. Heres what I have working now. I moved the dish to line up at 101 ONLY with ONE LNB. This sat is ALL Directv. I have good signal BUT I only have signal on the ODD transponders and only 2 EVEN transponders. There are like 32 transponders on 101 (4 on 119 and a few on 110). This gives me a lot of TV BUT, either I need a different LNB or the proper switch. (the switch between the LNB and the box). I bought a new switch the other day in Santiago but it still doesn't work on the EVEN transponders. In my research the box gives the "switch" a "22khz tone" to switch between the even and odd transponders. I can hear the switch "clicking" bit still not signal on even transponders. So...I'm almost there and 101 is really all you need cause the locals (on 110) are "spot beamed anyway so I'm not gonna get um.
Any info or help on the proper LNB or switch for 101 will be appreciated.
Respectfully,
Ken

Reactions: SantiagoDR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
With ONLY one LNB you should not need a switch.

The 22khz signal will switch the LNB from ODD to EVEN transponders.

The switch is used to switch between LNB's, you only have ONE.

How many transponders you get depends on how many are "CONUS" and not "Spot Beams".