new to the country

anton william

Nov 26, 2010
Hallo everybody, I'm very new to the country. Wander what's up in terms of business opportunities. Is anybody have any suggestion what would be the best direction to explore in DR? No real estate, please. Thank you.
Anton

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
something indoors and air conditioned- I keep asking for a bowling alley on the north coast , indoor bowling green,badminton,tennis etc maybe- I mean it does rain a lot and theres nothing indoors

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I think we need more colmados. There still isn't one on EVERY corner yet. Sometimes I have to walk two blocks to buy a soft drink.

If you want to open a restaurant, anything with seasoning on the food would be great.

On a serious note:

I do wonder how a copier rental business would do here. Most small businesses in the US rent their photocopiers and pay per page printed. I have yet to hear of such a business here.

I have not heard much about home alarm systems. If they are available, I have not seen them advertised. And I would think there would be a big market, although the electricity situation would be a hurdle.

And a third suggestion: home health care, including those alert buttons that people wear around their neck and can push in an emergency. In this country, it would be a very, very small market here to mostly the wealthy or to those who have children in the United States, but it could be quite lucrative.

I do have one more sarcastic suggestion:

A motorcycle/scooter headlight repair business. I mean, why else would anyone drive a motor on the highway the wrong way on a one-way street at night without a light unless there was no place in the entire country not to get a headlight replaced?

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
There is always money to buy Medication, There is money to buy beer and there is money to pay transportation.

The answers,

Drug store
Bar
Taxi - carro concho - guagua.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
To the OP - some questions- where in the country are you? What is your background? Skills? Experience? Do you speak Spanish?

Most important - how much MONEY do you have and how much are you willing to say goodbye to? ;)

anton william

Nov 26, 2010
Going back through the old posts, I noticed that some people mentioned the Aquaculture as a promissing enterprise here on the Island.
Perhaps this is worth to investigate? What do you all think about it?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
to be successful at any sort of farming (land or water based) takes lots and lots and lots of work, investment, knowledge, and luck.

If you have those four ingredients, go for it.

Mar 1, 2009
Renewable energy. Electrical repair.
My idea is a concierge service for new arrival's, I think I heard cobraboy bring this up, if I had more time I would discuss this idea more at length with him. But right now I don't.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Aquaculture.
even a Island sourrounded by the Ocean, still sorrily a Niche.
what do You know about that, where did You work on that field before?
we have some projects running rebreathing Coral Reefs etc and much more is needed.
tell more about Your Idea You heard of.

Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The idea of "fish farms" has been around for a while, and I do believe there are a couple of shrimp farms...

There was an attempt to get fishermen to farm crabs -centollas?---something like that...up off the north coast, but as soon as the foreign advisor left the project went to pot...

The market for fish, shrimp and crabs is there for the taking.

Also organic veggies for export. Greenhouse products are in huge demand...
Organic anything. Berries for example that can be flown to market in Miami in 1 1/2 hours..or so...Blackberries, strawberries, and such....Guatemala does it and so could the DR...

Time and money, time and money...

And Patience, patience and PATIENCE!!!!!!

HB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
The idea of "fish farms" has been around for a while, and I do believe there are a couple of shrimp farms...

There was an attempt to get fishermen to farm crabs -centollas?---something like that...up off the north coast, but as soon as the foreign advisor left the project went to pot...

The market for fish, shrimp and crabs is there for the taking.

Also organic veggies for export. Greenhouse products are in huge demand...
Organic anything. Berries for example that can be flown to market in Miami in 1 1/2 hours..or so...Blackberries, strawberries, and such....Guatemala does it and so could the DR...

Time and money, time and money...

And Patience, patience and PATIENCE!!!!!!

HB

Screw that...there is a market for Tilapia. People love that fish.

Keiser777

Feb 18, 2008
Hallo everybody, I'm very new to the country. Wander what's up in terms of business opportunities. Is anybody have any suggestion what would be the best direction to explore in DR? No real estate, please. Thank you.
Anton

best advice = take your $ and RUN RUN RUN!!! away from DR its a corrupt low life palce.