surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
What's the fastest route coming from direction Boca Chica driving to

a) Santiago on carretera Duarte
b) POP on the new Samana Highway?

Is it possible to avoid entering SD?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think if you are going to POP , the fastest way is the new toll road...no doubt.

In fact, with traffic the way it is in Sto Dgo now, I would thing that even if you have to go to POP or the north coast and then Santiago, it might be an easier drive to do the toll road, circle around and come down to Santiago either through Jamao or the tunnel.

HB

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
To POP the new toll road via Nagua and down to POP along the coastal road wins hands down.

To Santiago, I guess the time of day when you have to pass Santo Domingo plays a big part, I've made the trip Santiago to the Las Americas airport in 3 hours, passing Santo Domingo from the entrance road to the airport in 45 mins.

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
I can't get any precise step-by-step route description on mapquest/internet.
Could you give me pointers which indications/directions exactly I'd have to follow when coming
a) on the new highway from Nagua going direction B. Chica
b) on Duarte from Santiago and going direction B. Chica
(in both cases my main concern is not ending up in downtown SD!)

Many thanks in advance for your advice!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Could you give me pointers which indications/directions exactly I'd have to follow when coming
a) on the new highway from Nagua going direction B. ChicaGO LEFT-TO THE EAST
b) on Duarte from Santiago and going direction B. Chica FOLLOW THE SIGNS THAT SAY AEROPUERTO-BOCA CHICA

yOU NEVER REALLY GO INTO downtown Sto Dgo....
and they have improved the signage...

HB

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
a) on the new highway from Nagua going direction B. Chica
b) on Duarte from Santiago and going direction B. Chica

From Santiago-Boca Chica the faster way right now is making a turn in Km13 Autopista Duarte (around Induveca) to go over the bridge and take Ave. Republica de Colombia (be carefull not do the right turn to Prol. 27 de Feb.)
keep driving in Rep de Colombia for about 5 miles and after you pass Pricemart Store, turn left to Ave. Jacabo de Majluta, then drive straight until the end. that will be Las Americas highway to BC.

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
thanks johnny.
will this route in reverse also be the best when going B. Chica - Santiago?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to tell you this just once. DO NOT take that route. It is HELL...you go through some of the truly sh!ttiest barrios of Santo Domingo, on a road full of holes with trucks coming at you from every direction!! and it is way, way out of your way...

The fastest way, no matter what is to go straight into Santo Domingo on the John F. Kennedy Avenue ()the Duarte Highway goes straight in. Follow your nose to Maximo Gomez, stay on the right, and turn right to the huge intersection with 27 de February. Stay on the left as you approach the intersection and turn left and get on 27 de February and follow the sign to the Aeropuerto....

Dispite all the construction, this is still the easiest, safest and most probably, the fastest way to Boca Chica.

IF you want to totally cut out Santo Domingo, you could go to San Francisco De Macoris and then east towards Nagua and pick up the toll road to the Las Americas Highway...longer, less hassle and a beautiful drive. And easier to follow from Boca Chica back to Santiago.

Driving here is not all that hard, although, if you look at today's News, you will see that it is the major cause of death in the country. So be careful, watchout for axxholes doing the "unthinkable" because they often specialize in just that!!!

HB

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I am going to tell you this just once. DO NOT take that route. It is HELL...you go through some of the truly sh!ttiest barrios of Santo Domingo, on a road full of holes with trucks coming at you from every direction!! and it is way, way out of your way...

The fastest way, no matter what is to go straight into Santo Domingo on the John F. Kennedy Avenue ()the Duarte Highway goes straight in. Follow your nose to Maximo Gomez, stay on the right, and turn right to the huge intersection with 27 de February. Stay on the left as you approach the intersection and turn left and get on 27 de February and follow the sign to the Aeropuerto....

Dispite all the construction, this is still the easiest, safest and most probably, the fastest way to Boca Chica.

IF you want to totally cut out Santo Domingo, you could go to San Francisco De Macoris and then east towards Nagua and pick up the toll road to the Las Americas Highway...longer, less hassle and a beautiful drive. And easier to follow from Boca Chica back to Santiago.

Driving here is not all that hard, although, if you look at today's News, you will see that it is the major cause of death in the country. So be careful, watchout for axxholes doing the "unthinkable" because they often specialize in just that!!!

HB

This is another choice. John F Kennedy is geting better after the 2 overpass were open. but the big problem now is in the maximo intersection. it is closed to go straight, so you have to turn right or left. I was there yesterday and it was hell. 35 mins. from JFK to 27 de Febrero (less than a mile).

other choice without jam traffic, but maybe more complicated is to turn right in km13 (Prol. 27 de FEb., then drive straight until Ave. Luperon, turn right to the Malecon and then go straight to BC.

Feb 7, 2007
This is another choice. John F Kennedy is geting better after the 2 overpass were open. but the big problem now is in the maximo intersection. it is closed to go straight, so you have to turn right or left. I was there yesterday and it was hell. 35 mins. from JFK to 27 de Febrero (less than a mile).

other choice without jam traffic, but maybe more complicated is to turn right in km13 (Prol. 27 de FEb., then drive straight until Ave. Luperon, turn right to the Malecon and then go straight to BC.

You meant to say from Prolongacion 27 Feb to stay on 27 de Febrero, no need to go down do 12 de Haina. And frm malecon you still ahve to get by the Colonial Zone up on the 27th, or else take Avenida Espana. So why complicate things?

But the way I look on the map, the easiest and most straightforward way is JFK to Maximo Gomez to 27 de Febrero.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
You meant to say from Prolongacion 27 Feb to stay on 27 de Febrero, no need to go down do 12 de Haina. And frm malecon you still ahve to get by the Colonial Zone up on the 27th, or else take Avenida Espana. So why complicate things?

But the way I look on the map, the easiest and most straightforward way is JFK to Maximo Gomez to 27 de Febrero.

the problem is not what you see in the map. there is a lot of construction work in JFK and 27 de FEb which are the 2 direct way to get to Las Americas.
(tunnels, overpass, Metro)
I travel 2 or 3 times a week to the East, so I had take all the choices and believe me the easiest way that normally is Ave. 27 de Feb, right now is the worst choice to take.
from the malecon you dont need to go thru Zona Colonial, you can turn right to Ave. Espa?a or just keep straight to Las Americas.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Johnny...that is good up to the minute info.

I agree that it might be much better to go down either Luperon or one of the other avenues going South, to the Malecon and then east to the airport...I think if you just follow the Malecon you come to the floating bridge, cross over and take a right and end up hitting the Las Americas Highway past the old Athlete's Village for the 74 Games.... Piece of cake, with no major turns..

HB

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
thanks for all suggestions.
am I wrong to assume then that coming from pop (as we are) the easiest, safest and probably fastest way is to head east and in Nagua catch the new toll road to SD?
this way we'd also avoid crossing santiago.
is there a clearly marked indication on the nagua-SD hwy where we'd have to turn/exit to get to hwy las americas and b. chica, without entering downtown SD?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
thanks for all suggestions.
am I wrong to assume then that coming from pop (as we are) the easiest, safest and probably fastest way is to head east and in Nagua catch the new toll road to SD?
this way we'd also avoid crossing santiago.
is there a clearly marked indication on the nagua-SD hwy where we'd have to turn/exit to get to hwy las americas and b. chica, without entering downtown SD?

Just go on the new hwy until you cannot go anymore and turn left. Then you will go right and left under the hwy to Boca Chica. You will come out on the road you need to go towards the airport and then Boca Chica. Not sure of signs, but some are there.

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
thanks sky.
when returning from b. chica towards nagua, is the exit to the new hwy well marked on las americas?
what does it say 'samana'?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
thanks sky.
when returning from b. chica towards nagua, is the exit to the new hwy well marked on las americas?
what does it say 'samana'?

This is a bit tricky. When you pass the toll booths stay on your far right. You will see a sign Samana, go on the service road there or you will not be able to get on the hwy.

There is a sign. In a few minutes you will see the hwy on your right, just get on it. There is a sign there.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One more thing I need to tell you on this Hwy is that they have Radar set up all the time between the start at LA and the San Isidro exit. Slow down, or you will get nabbed. This goes for both ways at this point.