Beware -Codetel

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Codetel cheated me yet another time. I was not in the country for two months and i do not have the roaming facility. I have Plan Control. They did recharged for one month and did not do it for another month. I had asked for claim and they recharged 126 pesos whereas I have to get 1200 pesos. Then filed another claim. For that they said their system shows that it had been recharged and I had used it. When i showed the proof that I am not in the country, they said they will call me back. That is it. They did not call me either. I am tired of going behind them and waiting to get this kind of idiotic reply.

The other case is I am using Banda Ancha for more than 2 years and i had bought a new computer. When I tried to install it, modem did not configure. When I take it to them they said that the modem is not recognised by the windows and I had to change the window. I got shocked since it was abrand new computer with legal copy of windows. The other solution they gave me is that I had to buy a new modem for 2000 pesos or sign another contract for 18 months. I took back the computer saying that if I need to sign another contract I do not need the internet connection itself. I took the modem and the computer to a computer guy and he configured it in no time. It was very simple and these guys tried to rob me. So beware of them.

Nov 25, 2008
its not really that they robed you, their just are not enough qualify people to do "customer service"
could you imagine ATT company doing business here?

ray718

May 28, 2010
i think at&t is doing business here. the company orange is the european company that bought out at&t in the states when they were bankrupt.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
i think at&t is doing business here. the company orange is the european company that bought out at&t in the states when they were bankrupt.

Yup thats true, Orange is the Dominican equivalent of AT&T here. I myself us their service, and I find it to be pretty adequate.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Yup thats true, Orange is the Dominican equivalent of AT&T here. I myself us their service, and I find it to be pretty adequate.

Orange Dominicana has no affiliation with Cingular, It is owned by France Telecom.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When Orange first came to DR there was a nice glitch in the system and AT&T/Cingular cell phone customers in the USA could call DR Orange cell phones as a free mobile-to-mobile call. We were in DR and our daughter called us all the time, I told her she was going to get an enormous cell phone bill and boy were we all surprised when it was all free. It didn't last very long, the next time we were there she did the same thing and and ended up with a $300 overage on her cell bill.

So I'm thinking it must be on the same network somehow - or at least it was??

AE

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
When Orange first came to DR there was a nice glitch in the system and AT&T/Cingular cell phone customers in the USA could call DR Orange cell phones as a free mobile-to-mobile call. We were in DR and our daughter called us all the time, I told her she was going to get an enormous cell phone bill and boy were we all surprised when it was all free. It didn't last very long, the next time we were there she did the same thing and and ended up with a $300 overage on her cell bill.

So I'm thinking it must be on the same network somehow - or at least it was??

AE

The glitch was 809 was recognized as a "domestic" area code, hence the free calls. (In Network) I have a hard time dialing on Skype Mobile for the same reason, it "aks" me to use Verizon.

France Telecom owns Orange RD, and was never affiliated with Cingular or AT&T.

Reactions: waytogo

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Codetel cheated me yet another time. I was not in the country for two months and i do not have the roaming facility. I have Plan Control. They did recharged for one month and did not do it for another month. I had asked for claim and they recharged 126 pesos whereas I have to get 1200 pesos. Then filed another claim. For that they said their system shows that it had been recharged and I had used it. When i showed the proof that I am not in the country, they said they will call me back. That is it. They did not call me either. I am tired of going behind them and waiting to get this kind of idiotic reply.

The other case is I am using Banda Ancha for more than 2 years and i had bought a new computer. When I tried to install it, modem did not configure. When I take it to them they said that the modem is not recognised by the windows and I had to change the window. I got shocked since it was abrand new computer with legal copy of windows. The other solution they gave me is that I had to buy a new modem for 2000 pesos or sign another contract for 18 months. I took back the computer saying that if I need to sign another contract I do not need the internet connection itself. I took the modem and the computer to a computer guy and he configured it in no time. It was very simple and these guys tried to rob me. So beware of them.

Trying to get a refund from them is next to impossible. The've owed me 3000.00 pesos for about a year. Went to POP and stood in line on 3 occasions, sent them the faxes they requested and still no $$$. I wrote them off as bad credit. I am happy with their Cel. service but that's about all. Others I've had refund problems with: Plaza Lama & Price Smart.