New Highway Traffic Lights In Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just returned from Playero where I saw the new traffic lights in action. Very significant change.

There are new lights at the Texaco intersection and at the Playero intersection.

There are now separate lights for each lane. In other words, when the cars move toward Cabarete, the cars moving toward POP wait their turn. A timer counts down the seconds. At the Playero intersection, there is also a light for cars coming from the side street, and a light for pedestrians.

The program takes about 100 seconds to cycle through, 10 seconds of which are for pedestrians. When your turn comes, you had better be ready to move because by then a lot of traffic is waiting for its green light and you only have those 10 seconds to cross safely. If you miss your turn, then you wait about 95 seconds for the next turn for pedestrians.

Pretty amazing, really, how much of a change has been made.

Now, if the drivers just learn how to behave!!

Congrats to the cityplanners for this step forward, It is progress...

HB

Last edited by a moderator:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
New traffic lights in Sosua with countdown timer

I see that they have no money or will to fix the potholes in the road, in fact the chasm that I mentioned in an earlier thread is now a home to an entire Welsh mining village to join the Chileans.

However, they do seem to have money to spend when it comes to new gadgets like a fancy new telly in the road by the Texaco petrol station and traffic lights with the added bonus of knowing how long you are going to wait.

Unfortunately, to control the main flow of traffic that runs East - West, that traffic is phased to 90 seconds of red to only 30 seconds of green. So that the cars queued back to Charamicos waiting in line to go Cabarete-bound (apart from the taxi's, they make their own lane) won't have the luxury of know how long they will wait until they get near the bend at Playero.

AND they have an AMET plonker there enforcing these new lights!

Sigh........................

Aug 21, 2007
Too many dr1'ers commenting on the changes the new mayor is making and how awful they are. Is this a progressive professional working for the long-range future or a few retirees who want everything to always remain the way it always was?

As for myself, about once a week, since the new mayor has taken office, I SEE GOOD things in Sosua. This has nothing to do with the long dr1 thread of discourse about proposed changes (which I questioned early on, whether they were even interpreted correctly) and all the negativity that has ensued.

Before slamming negativity at everything, I would like to see a few people sit back and watch results. (And that's about as negative as I will allow myself to get! = ))

Lindsey

Reactions: mike l

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Too many dr1'ers commenting on the changes the new mayor is making and how awful they are. Is this a progressive professional working for the long-range future or a few retirees who want everything to always remain the way it always was?

Interesting observation. I haven't thought it was the retirees complaining but those who don't want the street walkers hassled or the street bars controlled.

Speaking as a retiree, I'm quite pleased we now have a mayor who seems more interested in the betterment of Sosua than in lining personal pockets.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Sorry Lindsey,

But I haven't got involved with the Sosua bashing thread. I like it the way that it is and the recent changes haven't affected me directly, so I don't personally care.

However, when I'm stuck in a traffic queue because some dimwit hasn't carefully thought out and studied the traffic flow, and installed an unnecessary and expensive traffic light system that probably won't get adjusted, I get annoyed.

90 seconds on red.....Do you reckon they will be able to keep the windshield boys away?

If you think that is a GOOD THING, well it's your opinion and you're entitled to it!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

nfsh8n.gif

As an alien here, I like the new traffic lights!

Aug 21, 2007
Sorry Lindsey,

But I haven't got involved with the Sosua bashing thread. I like it the way that it is and the recent changes haven't affected me directly, so I don't personally care.

However, when I'm stuck in a traffic queue because some dimwit hasn't carefully thought out and studied the traffic flow, and installed an unnecessary and expensive traffic light system that probably won't get adjusted, I get annoyed.

90 seconds on red.....Do you reckon they will be able to keep the windshield boys away?

If you think that is a GOOD THING, well it's your opinion and you're entitled to it!

You may be right. I may be wrong, Beeza. Surely won't be the first time for me!

However, I will let some time pass before I judge the value or the waste of money concerning the new light. When lights and traffic patterns are changed, it sometimes take a while for drivers to adapt. And after time, we will have a better understanding of the light's effectiveness- or lack of....

Lindsey

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To clear up any possible misconceptions:

I did not make the original comment. I did congratulate the first poster who put up the content that is now in my box. Wud was clicking around and combining posts and somehow my congrats were swept away and I became to OP.

Anyway, I don't think any major damage has been done.

On the subject of those lights, I did observe that I hoped that the drivers learned how to behave in the face of the new rules. A 90 second wait might seem long, but there are two lights in Santiago that are 1:40. So patience, we are in the tropics, let's live a bit slower.

HB

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
the traffic light is run like a computer
it CAN be adjusted

did it ever occur to you that maybe they will start at this time and then adjust as they see need?

now i know why patience is a virtue :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Not surprising that the finger immediately pointed at new mayor by some because of the installation of the new lights, but are we sure the mayor is responsible. Where I come from, local mayors are not responsible for traffic control or enforcement on highways. I'm sure they can make suggestions, perhaps even requests, but I don't think they make final decisions?

Is it different in the DR? Can local mayors put up traffic lights on highways wherever they choose?

In any case, we need to keep in mind that yesterday was the first day. If there were problems, nobody should be surprised. Not uncommon when changes of any sort are made, anywhere, to have a period of trial and error.

I am sure that the day will come when a final decision will be made regarding the lights, whether adjustments made after first day have worked out the kinks, or whether the cure is worse than the disease.

LindseyK and woofsback have it right, patience.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
I think that ANY step taken to improve traffic safety in Sosua is a positive one! The improvement of reflective pavement markings and highway lighting between the Caribe Tours terminal and Playero should also be on their agenda.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
A huge wish is for pedestrian crosswalks and pedestrian right of way instead of the current walking dodge'em of flying by SUV's. Would be great for tourists and walking residents. What's the hurry anyway. You're in the caribbean.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A huge wish is for pedestrian crosswalks and pedestrian right of way instead of the current walking dodge'em of flying by SUV's. Would be great for tourists and walking residents. What's the hurry anyway. You're in the caribbean.

And flying by motorcycles.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009

yeah...used to get me upset...:)
but now i kinda enjoy the excercise...great way to stay in shape :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Changes at Playero

After investigation, I can report that a major reason for the changes in traffic control in the process of being established are the many traffic and safety problems that have been experienced in the Playero area and at that intersection. This has been the subject of past threads.

Causing and contributing to these problems are often cars attempting to cross a lane to get into or out of the parking lot, the reluctance of Dominican drivers to give cars a chance to make their move and impatience on part of drivers waiting for an opening to cross into or leave the parking lot.

As part of the change, Playero is now in the process of blocking the entrance and exit directly in front of the store. All cars now must enter and leave from the new entrance/exit recently opened in front of the expanded parking lot on the POP side of the store. That entrance/exit will also be made wider.

With the new traffic and control system, there will be lights and arrows that provide opportunities for cars to enter and leave the parking lot, as well as a light for pedestrian crossing.

This system is still in the process of being adjusted, with techs from the light company as well as the office of the government responsible for traffic management on the highways involved. Adjustments in timing, etc., will be made as experience shows it is needed.

PS: The main reason for including timers in the system was the desire to reduce driver impatience by telling them how long they have to wait for a favorable light.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman
May 29, 2006
Regarding post #2: is that in Sosua proper, or out of town? It may not be covered under the Sosua highway dept. I think of the town line as being right near the Car Wash. On another site, they mentioned how they dug up a big section of road in front of Texaco and repaired some broken septic pipes that were undermining the road. Before the new mayor, they would just fill in the holes once in a while and the problem would keep coming back.

Oct 11, 2010
Apparent Adjustments Being Made

The mess caused by the new traffic signal apparently got out of hand. The traffic signal in front of Playero was shut down at about 11:30 am today. It appears they are making adjustments to the timing sequence. Let's hope.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The mess caused by the new traffic signal apparently got out of hand. The traffic signal in front of Playero was shut down at about 11:30 am today. It appears they are making adjustments to the timing sequence. Let's hope.

Yes, they are making adjustments, as they expected they would have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.