Donating School Suppplies- INFO needed

DayanaAriza

Nov 28, 2010
Hi-

I just returned from a trip to Santiago and came back with a new endeavor after traveling most of the region; shipping school supplies to Dominican Republic. I have found little to no assistance/additional information about how to go about this.

What schools are in most need?
How many times during the year are supplies mostly needed?
What specific school supplies are needed?

If anyone can help with this it would be greatly appreciated. I have several organizations and business owners willing to support this cause but want to make sure I am as organized as possible before I start taking donations.

Thank you!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hi-

I just returned from a trip to Santiago and came back with a new endeavor after traveling most of the region; shipping school supplies to Dominican Republic. I have found little to no assistance/additional information about how to go about this.

What schools are in most need?
How many times during the year are supplies mostly needed?
What specific school supplies are needed?

If anyone can help with this it would be greatly appreciated. I have several organizations and business owners willing to support this cause but want to make sure I am as organized as possible before I start taking donations.

Thank you!

If I were you, I'd get in contact with The Dream Project, they will see that the supplies are distributed where they are needed. I'm sure they'd be very grateful for any assistance:

The DREAM Project

AE

DayanaAriza

Nov 28, 2010
Thanks AE. I took a look at their site but they only focus on a specific area such as Puerta Plaza if I'm not mistaken. I'll inquire further!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dayana: July is the month for school supplies. Pencils and notebooks, mostly. School uniforms, blues shirts and khaki pants or skirts are also welcome.

Working with an institution such as Rotary or CARE is the surest way to make sure that whatever you do is going to the persons that need it the most.

Good luck.

HB

DayanaAriza

Nov 28, 2010
Dayana: July is the month for school supplies. Pencils and notebooks, mostly. School uniforms, blues shirts and khaki pants or skirts are also welcome.

Working with an institution such as Rotary or CARE is the surest way to make sure that whatever you do is going to the persons that need it the most.

Good luck.

HB

Thanks so much HB. I appreciate the help!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Dayana: Where are you located? In the United States? If so, where?

Shipping can be easy or can be cost prohibitive, depending on your location.

Are you wanting to work with a particular school, or with a charitable agency?

One school I might suggest is Fe y Alegria in El Cruce. They have a website now:

Friends of El Cruce, Telling a story and asking your support for the children and families of Centro Espiritu Santo in Seccion San Jose, Dominican Republic

The website of Fe y Alegria, the umbrella organization that works with their school is:

Fe y Alegria

It is a Catholic organization, though students of any religious persuasion (or none) are welcome and are not pressured to convert.