whats the process of adopting my dominican wife?s children?

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
i recently got married to my dominican wife.she has 2 children 4 and 2.the father hasnt been in their lives for a year and a half.we called him and asked if he?s gonna be in his children?s lives.he told me no.so i told him i want to adopt them.he gave me permission.they havent had a birth certificate yet.whats the process.go to the hospital where they were born with my wife and appy for them and just put my name on the nacimientos???
she has the papers when she?dar la luz?but their not offical birth certificates.
thanks

Reactions: Tamborista

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The easiest thing by far would be to have your name on their birth certificates. If not you have to go through the official adoption process using CONANI. That takes forever and is expensive and frustrating. Try to go the birth certificate route.

Matilda

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Completely not an answer or helpful, but the title of the thread was cut short on the main page.

it read: "whats the process of adopting my dominican wife"

several very nasty things went through my mind

At any rate, good luck on the process. I think any man who is willing to adopt and raise another man's biological children is a damn good man, and your wife is very fortunate that you are in her life.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
After being married to my wife for 6 yrs. and experiencing much of the Dominican family life etc. I must say don't bother with any papers and legallities. I got married with a civil offical-- that was my decision. Had a pre-nup. My idea. Its not necessary to do these formalities. The children just need and want to be loved and cared for. If things go well for 10-15 years don't worry you'll be their Dad. Whether you will still be a husband in 2-3 yr. is the question. Best Wishes for your new found family, it can be really great.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
After being married to my wife for 6 yrs. and experiencing much of the Dominican family life etc. I must say don't bother with any papers and legallities. I got married with a civil offical-- that was my decision. Had a pre-nup. My idea. Its not necessary to do these formalities. The children just need and want to be loved and cared for. If things go well for 10-15 years don't worry you'll be their Dad. Whether you will still be a husband in 2-3 yr. is the question. Best Wishes for your new found family, it can be really great.

The only problem with your advice is that if he decides to move his family to another country. They need birth certificates anyways. Big decision because of the consequences.

E

engineerfg

The only problem with your advice is that if he decides to move his family to another country. They need birth certificates anyways. Big decision because of the consequences.

Also if he adopts the children, they could probably get preferential treatment applying for university abroad when they grow up. etc.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
i recently got married to my dominican wife.she has 2 children 4 and 2.the father hasnt been in their lives for a year and a half.we called him and asked if he?s gonna be in his children?s lives.he told me no.so i told him i want to adopt them.he gave me permission.they havent had a birth certificate yet.whats the process.go to the hospital where they were born with my wife and appy for them and just put my name on the nacimientos???
she has the papers when she?dar la luz?but their not offical birth certificates.
thanks

irateskateboards:
Congratulations.....
Small children bring a lot of happiness in our lives...;)
Good luck with the adoption.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
After being married to my wife for 6 yrs. and experiencing much of the Dominican family life etc. I must say don't bother with any papers and legallities. I got married with a civil offical-- that was my decision. Had a pre-nup. My idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as fas as I know there's no really such thing as a pre-nup in The DR. What's yours is hers (and of course what's hers is hers too)...

As for the OP you can put you name on the birth certificate assuming the father never did, but on this point I agree with Deyvi, since they could never emigrate or get citizenship through your direct sponsorship, because to do so you'll all have to take DNA tests which you won't pass. As a matter of fact I think this would complicate that process, because once you failed that test then you'll probably be denied and not be able to petition for them again without a lot of hassle.

IMO the best thing is to support them financially and emotionally and if you ever want to take them back to your country they will be able to get there via their mother, whom you can petition for.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is a Pre-Nup in the DR, and it holds like Iron. Unlike some countries. If you get a good lawyer what is in your name is yours, and what is in her name is hers. No way out of it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
there is only one guy on this board that has ever done that, that i know of: Texas Bill Adams...He went the whole nine yards and got them adopted and visa-ed////.

As for the possibility, if you are living here for a few years, you could do the birth certificate thing, it has been done. But only for Dominicans...
the US Consulate will require proof of parenthood and that will mess yuou up big time...lying on a Federal Form is a big no-no...

So, Send a PM to Texas Bill and see if he can point you in the right direction...
Those kids need to get their birth certificates!!! First and foremost...

HB

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
irateskateboards:

Before you do anything, get a damn good lawyer like Senor Guzman & Associates to do all the legal work of adoption. It will not be cheap, but in the long run, it will be a great deal less frustrating dealing with CONNANI and all the other legal aspects.
I went through plain hell trying to adopt my wife's three boys. It took over THREE YEARS and as many attorneys (LOCAL NON COMPUS MENTUS types) who spent more time going from where we lived to Santo Domingo and back for each step along the way. In short, they didn't know the procedures to follow and wallowed through the whole mess, costing 3-4 times as much as it would have had I enlisted the aid of Guzman to begin with.
Be sure and get SEVERAL (about 10) originals of the new Birth Certificates when they are done. The Embassy will want, also, to see the original OLD BC's in order to prove that the birth mother is correct. Then you'll need originals for SSA Numbers, and a bunch of other things from the Government since they won't take copies or notorized copies except by the originating office.
Bottom line-----Get a reputable attorney to do all the leg work and court stuff. The expense will be well worth it.

Texas Bill

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Bill, you are a real gentleman. I am glad I remembered all you went through to get your boys a big step up...

HB

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Thanks Bill, you are a real gentleman. I am glad I remembered all you went through to get your boys a big step up...

HB

Well Luis, the US Congress made me a Gentleman snd I had the misfortune of believing them.
Seriously, tho, the poster's best bet is to employ Guzman & Associates in his goal of adoption. That very act, while expensive, as all adoptions are, will actually save him a wad plus relieve him of the frustrations of having to wade through all the convoluted regulations the DR Government rightfully places on a potential adoptor of Dominican children, no matter the family connection.
Additionally, if he will have several "legalized" "true copies, in extencia" made of the resulting changed Birth Certificates (those which will show him as the Father of the children) then he will be further relieved of additional headaches when, and if, he applies for Immigrant Visas (or better yet, files a Form N-100, I believe, in order to get them US Citizenship upon arival in the US the first time.
Another source of good advise for immigrating is "DominicanstotheUSA" Web site. There is a world of information posted thereon and all is useful.
The N-100 application is the best way for him to get his children US Citizenship. With that, the minute they arrive in the US they gain citizenship without having to go through all the stuff of residency, etc., especially since they are so young. They get a Social Security Number then also. That way they can get a US Passport and travel back and forth at will. After being groped by the TSA departing and arriving, of course.
I leave it up to him to find the USCIS Web site and wade through all the stuff required for the above. Going the I-130 route for adopted children is a pain altho he'll have to do that for his wife.

Hope all that helps him in gaining his goals.
Good Luck.
Texas Bill

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I tried to adopt my husbands kids and failed. We went through all the paperwork, laywers, medical and psychological tests for me, everything. After over 2 years had the final interview at Conani. They had moved offices. Lost all of the paperwork and asked us to start again. By then one of the boys was nearly 18 so it was too late. So we gave up.

Matilda

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Matilda:

I hate to be supercillious, but you're in the DR dealing with the Dominican Government, which is probablythe most inefficient government in the universe.
I know that doesn't serve to reduce your frustration, but it's the truth. You have to keep on top of everything and continue to build the fires in order to get anything done.
Don't forget, you're probably dealing with a Legislator's daughter, niece, nephew, son, cousin, wife, mistress, etc., etc. who could care less what you want, need, or whatever.
Take a tranquility pill and stay laid back.
And the US Bureaucracy isn't much better.

Texas Bill

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
we went to la junta en la calle 27 febrero to declarar los ninos.they told me to return with the kids before 12pm.we did.then they brought us in a office and told my wife to stay outside.then i got bombared with questions and penalties if i'm not the biological father and dna tests.i told them why didnt they ask me that in the first place instead of waiting our time going to quisqueya and back stuck in traffic with maniaticos in the streets yelling profanities.they told me i can adopt.thats it.i called my cunado's pastor which is a lawyer.he said for her to make the declaraciones and he'll help us start with the adoption.
for now i'm starting the petitions for her k-3 visa.
thanks for all the replies.i'll keep yas posted on how the adoption process is going.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All of which we told you before....

Did you read what Texas Bill so generously told you??? If not you are in for one heck of a ride!!

HB

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
irateskateboards:

Don't screw around witha K-3 Visa.
get the adoptions done then apply for them under the N-100 application, take them to the Statesand they will be awarded Citizenship upon arrival. that will authorize them a Social Security number as soon as you apply for one. Then get an Immigrant Visa for your wife by applying for it with an I-130 application. Since you and the kids will be US Citizens, that should go fairly fast and you will be home free.
The K-3 Visa is not for Immigration right away and is a long drawn out procedure just as the adoptions will be and involves a lot more paperwork.
Go the simplest route and HANG IN THERE.
Do like I said and get Guzman & Associates to handle the adoptions for you. It will go much faster and will be cheaper in the long run. The system is VERY convoluted and with many pitfalls if the attorney doesn't know what all the ins and outs are. I am confident that Guzman is knowledgeble of exactly what is required so DO IT THAT WAY> and be confident of the timely outcome.

Texas Bill

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
irateskateboards:

Before you do anything, get a damn good lawyer like Senor Guzman & Associates to do all the legal work of adoption. It will not be cheap, but in the long run, it will be a great deal less frustrating dealing with CONNANI and all the other legal aspects.
I went through plain hell trying to adopt my wife's three boys. It took over THREE YEARS and as many attorneys (LOCAL NON COMPUS MENTUS types) who spent more time going from where we lived to Santo Domingo and back for each step along the way. In short, they didn't know the procedures to follow and wallowed through the whole mess, costing 3-4 times as much as it would have had I enlisted the aid of Guzman to begin with.
Be sure and get SEVERAL (about 10) originals of the new Birth Certificates when they are done. The Embassy will want, also, to see the original OLD BC's in order to prove that the birth mother is correct. Then you'll need originals for SSA Numbers, and a bunch of other things from the Government since they won't take copies or notorized copies except by the originating office.
Bottom line-----Get a reputable attorney to do all the leg work and court stuff. The expense will be well worth it.

Texas Bill

my wife got the declaraciones done with just her name on them.well at least the registros de nacimiento.they said it will be about 3 months until the actos de nacimiento are ready???
i'm gonna do it the right way so no one has a problem with their passports when we reach the u.s.
thank you texas bill