I bit my hand.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
last saturday, out of sheer boredom, I decided to buy some angus steaks from super nacional. I think it was the iron flat steaks (?), or some thing like that. It had fat deposits in it's grain of the meat fibers. I seasoned it with Montreal steak spice and left it there for an hour. Then I grilled them on wooden charcoals with bake potatoes. The steaks came out juicy and upon first bite, I was in love. The steaks were so delicious that I threw away the fork and knife and bit into it like a savage from amazon jungle. In the process, I managed to bite my hand hard. Uuuuyyyyyyyeee, it hurt but the joy of chewing excellent juicy angus steak made me forget my pain for the time-being.
Dave Snyder, where are you? I called you but seems like you are up north at the moment.
Lets see when I will repeat the "bite on my hand" again.
AZB

Reactions: DavidZ

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
last saturday, out of sheer boredom, I decided to buy some angus steaks from super nacional. I think it was the iron flat steaks (?), or some thing like that. It had fat deposits in it's grain of the meat fibers. I seasoned it with Montreal steak spice and left it there for an hour. Then I grilled them on wooden charcoals with bake potatoes. The steaks came out juicy and upon first bite, I was in love. The steaks were so delicious that I threw away the fork and knife and bit into it like a savage from amazon jungle. In the process, I managed to bite my hand hard. Uuuuyyyyyyyeee, it hurt but the joy of chewing excellent juicy angus steak made me forget my pain for the time-being.
Dave Snyder, where are you? I called you but seems like you are up north at the moment.
AZB

My mouth is watering. The 2 Q'd up last night for the wife and I were hard as rock. Where did you get them? I might be going to Sgo. this week.

May 12, 2005
AZB

You bit your hand? Ouch. Sounds like some delicious steaks.

Reactions: Tamborista

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The steaks were so delicious that I threw away the fork and knife and bit into it like a savage from amazon jungle. In the process, I managed to bite my hand hard.

Did you go for a rabies test?

Reactions: Africaida

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Good choice on the Flat Iron steaks....they are tender like a filet and have the flavor of a Strip Loin...mmmmmm....but next time stick with the knife and fork...or at least the fork if it cuts like buttahhhhh...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Stop eating and watching Univision at the same time.:cheeky:

The women on those commercials can really take your focus and attention away.;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Good choice on the Flat Iron steaks....they are tender like a filet and have the flavor of a Strip Loin...mmmmmm....but next time stick with the knife and fork...or at least the fork if it cuts like buttahhhhh...

Yes david. they were juicy and tender. I like the flavor of this steak. Just didn't expect it to be that good. No more dominican regular (tire rubber) meat. I will spend more and eat the real steak. This steak tasted better than all the steaks I have ever eaten in any fancy restaurant in DR.
AZB

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
OK OK I'm a dummy

My mouth is watering. The 2 Q'd up last night for the wife and I were hard as rock. Where did you get them? I might be going to Sgo. this week.

Should have read all your post and not just the juicy part. Will pick some up for sure on my next trip. If there's any left.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I gave up DR steaks a while ago...pretty much when I discovered Chef Pepper...then Omaha Gourmet, and now it's a no-brainer with La Sirena and Nacional selling imported beef at VERY reasonable prices. The one exception is Veal (Ternera) at Nacional...the chops and ground meat are excellent.

Also good from the imported section, when they have it, try the "flap meat" (similar to Hanger Steak), and the Culotte (What Brazilians call the "King of Steaks"/Picanhe)...both much cheaper than Filets, Strips, and rib eyes, and great for grilling...

Oh, and if you invite me next time, I'll bring some awesome Spicy Chili Chimichuri to go with the steaks..great on all of them, especially churasco! :bunny:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I gave up DR steaks a while ago...pretty much when I discovered Chef Pepper...then Omaha Gourmet, and now it's a no-brainer with La Sirena and Nacional selling imported beef at VERY reasonable prices. The one exception is Veal (Ternera) at Nacional...the chops and ground meat are excellent.

Also good from the imported section, when they have it, try the "flap meat" (similar to Hanger Steak), and the Culotte (What Brazilians call the "King of Steaks"/Picanhe)...both much cheaper than Filets, Strips, and rib eyes, and great for grilling...

Oh, and if you invite me next time, I'll bring some awesome Spicy Chili Chimichuri to go with the steaks..great on all of them, especially churasco! :bunny:

try dry aging the steaks.... see the thread about supermarket and buying steaks for a suggestion

WW

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
That's a decent alternative, but the Dominican beef itself isn't that great due its feed and care, and it's usually butchered incorrectly...for the difference in price, I'll stick to the Imported...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have said here many times before.....if only we could educate the butchers to get a better yield per animal.

Better butchering would make them more $$$ and give the customer better cuts

Too bad... they love that cleaver:eek:gre:

WW

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
That they do! And coincidentally the flat iron and flap cuts, and a few others, only come from experienced butchers.

Have you ever seen a Dominican TBone or Porterhouse? They literally ruin the filet portion...

May 29, 2006
That Montreal Steak seasoning is good stuff. I've even brought some to the DR as a gift.

Another cut to look for is the "hanger steak." It's also called a "Butchers steak" or "Onglet." It is on the tough side so it's best marinated, but it has really great flavor.

The flat iron is from the Chuck and it's popular in restaurants as a good cut from a cheap part of the cow.

Reactions: SantiagoDR

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Aftab - invite me and I'll happily eat anything you cook. Dominican beef is good for me preparado como sea. :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, lets see if I get myself ready to do a bbq for friends. Will keep you guys updated.
I am waiting for dave snyder and arild from norway to come then the party is on.
AZB

Reactions: Bronxboy