Road Cycling in the DR???

carnedge

Dec 1, 2010
Hi,
I am curious to know if there is anywhere in the DR that is good for road cycling. I have not been there before, but a trip is being planned and I need to know what to expect. In my experience cycling can be hit or miss in the Caribbean...I had a great experience in Barbados, but I would not have wanted to ride in Puerto Rico. I assume that anywhere along the coast or near Santo Domingo will be crazy. If anyone can give me some isight, it would be much appreciated. If you ride into the interior are there paved roads that are not very busy? Are all the secondary roads dirt? What would be the best place on the island to ride?
Thanks in advance!!!
JC

May 29, 2006
You may want to check out Iguana Mama's in Cabarete. She has tours of several levels and traveling in a group is prob safer in case of accident or breakdown.

Although there are some folks who will bike on paved roads in the DR, I think it's crazy given the lack of proper shoulders and deep ditches along highways. Mountain biking on rural roads makes a lot more sense to me.

Iguana Mama - Ecological Adventure Tours - Dominican Republic - Cabarete

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are cycling clubs all over the country, they organise outings on most weekends. The Santo Domingo group can be contacted via Planet Bike and they're likely to have info and contacts for other groups around the DR.
Ciclismo MTB Republica Dominicana

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
A lot of cycling in the DR

Cycling is a very big sport in the Dominican Republic. Both mountain biking and street/racing (ruta) biking are popular. I have ridden both in a lot of the country but mostly on the north coast and especially Santiago. In Santiago, there is a big following of both types of riding and the best way to meet everyone is to go to the Esso station on Juan Pablo Duarte (just before Ave Rafael Vidal) on Sunday mornings at 8 am for the mountain bike crowd or to the Coastal gas station on Autopista Duarte on Sundays at 8 am for the ruta riders. These informal groups can be quite large, and a very friendly and dedicated groups of riders. Everyone from serious beginners to seasoned team riders are there. If you are a pretty hard-core road biker, we usually ride to la vega on the autopista (pretty flat with sloping hills) up into the mountains of Jarabacoa. Great training and a great group of people. You will have a fantastic time.

Last edited:

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
see them all the time on the autopistas

I see cyclists all the time when i drive from santo domingo to la vega.

I dont remember seeing them from santo domingo to Bani (and Salinas). the highway construction is (mostly?) complete so the road is in very good condition.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have only done it once and was a put off a little by the fact that all lorry drivers seem to compete about how close to the cyclist they can pass. maybe they get extra points for knocking someone off the bike/road/life?
i think it may be better to do it in packs :) have fun!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey DV8!!! If I saw you on a bike, I'l like to pass as close as possible, too!!! What do you expect???

Seriously, there are bikes all over and some of these people take really long trips...

Enjoy yourself with one of these groups...You will meet a nicer group than in any hotel or bar, that is for sure...

HB