Pedro Clisante at night is like a police state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Pedro Clisante at night is like being in a police state. There are so many police. They are lurking everywhere. Catching, stopping and questioning any girl walking alone. Military constantly circling the block in their truck with their rifles. It is quite unpleasant.

Reactions: mike l
Mar 2, 2008
This is what the so-called visionaries wanted.

These roving gangs of bandits are a far worse blight on Sosua than all the hoards of prostitutes, shoe-shine boys, and vendors combined. And it is extremely difficult to "just say no" to these gun toting ladrones.

Of course, it is not just the girls and shoe-shine boys who are being shaken-down. Several gringo friends of mind have been randomly stopped and questioned about where they are going, where they live, and if they were aware that Christmas is just around the corner. My friends were also informed that the police could be very helpful to gringos in need of assistance. i think you get the picture, no?

If anyone thinks this type of behavior is funny, just wait until you are stopped by a band of automatic weapon-waving thugs, eager for a handout. It is not a joke, and it is not at all enticing to tourists.

It is truly a sad state of affairs indeed.

Reactions: rsg
Oct 11, 2010
Killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.

Have you read the Avianus fable "Killing the goose that laid the golden eggs."???

Welcome to the improvement of Sosua.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Have you read the Avianus fable "Killing the goose that laid the golden eggs."???

Welcome to the improvement of Sosua.

Victimized by its own success....?

I'm betting it's merely the implementation of a paradigm shift. All this official attention isn't sustainable over the long haul and the place will end up as something halfway between what the powers that be are looking to accomplish and what it was before they tried to change it.

The problem is half the repeat tourists will have moved on by then and it will take a long time to develop new ones. Tourist $$ always take the path of least resistance and at some point (after they realize that these tourists can travel to Colombia for the same price with twice the reward miles and half the hassle) they'll go and dream up another scheme.

The problem with the steady increase in tourism to the D.R. over the past decade is that it happened not because of the efforts of developers there but in spite of them. External influences are the cause of most of their good fortune and now they're trying to take control. Reminds me of an Ex-Governor whose predecessor described as being "born on 3rd base and thought he'd hit a home run". They're going to manipulate themselves right out of a revenue stream.

Q. When did Pepsi sell the most sodas?

A. When Coke changed their formula.

Reactions: BlueLodge

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
And the old favourite bar Merengue has been transformed into a big red tent. Yes, thats obvious, people are traveling to Carribean to sit innsidea a red tent.

Aug 21, 2007
If you are not happy with what you see, I suggest you become involved. There is a meeting tonight concerning Sosua improvements. It is at 5 p.m. at Seahorse Ranch. You must register to attend.

I have found that becoming involved with the process is always positive. It gives me opportunity to voice opinions and opposition. It opens the door for me to help impact change. And it exposes me to the facts.

I feel that once a person is involved and knows the facts, then he/she is in a position to make better, more accurate judgements concerning the existing and proposed changes.

Lindsey

Reactions: rellosk and mike l

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I had hopes that Ilana and her administration were going to affect some really positive changes....This is just ludicrous...Getting rid of all the food vendors, then trying to get rid of single women walking around, then closing in the bars, now stopping and harassing tourists for Christmas propinas? That never really happened before, at least not blatantly...

Whether there is an ulterior motive or not, this will ruin tourism in Sosua at least in the short-term (and right at the start of high season/Christmas), but I've got a feeling if they really go through with enforcing this, the effects will be long-term. One tourist goes home and tells two people, who each tell two people, etc. etc. Sosua will become Boca Chica...or worse...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If you are not happy with what you see, I suggest you become involved. There is a meeting tonight concerning Sosua improvements. It is at 5 p.m. at Seahorse Ranch. You must register to attend.

I have found that becoming involved with the process is always positive. It gives me opportunity to voice opinions and opposition. It opens the door for me to help impact change. And it exposes me to the facts.

I feel that once a person is involved and knows the facts, then he/she is in a position to make better, more accurate judgements concerning the existing and proposed changes.

Lindsey

Here is the Facebook Event announcement: Welcome to Facebook

I would attend if I was in the area, but I'm in Santiago until tomorrow. For those interested, the meeting will likely be held in Spanish.

Reactions: rellosk

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Pedro Clisante at night is like being in a police state. There are so many police. They are lurking everywhere. Catching, stopping and questioning any girl walking alone. Military constantly circling the block in their truck with their rifles. It is quite unpleasant.

Quite embarrassing if you ask me. And it?s gonna get worst. Picture this: Sosua Life with windows, Clasico with red curtains, Bar Central are working on something today, I heard that El Flow will have to do something. The mayor will be the laughing stock of the country. If it stays the way it is, I will be ashamed to take my friends and family on PC this winter. Maybe it's the Dominican folklore look that certain posters wanted or is that Haitian.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I can't attend, but it would be nice if anybody could ask why they don't close the two big brothels on Pedro Clisante (La Passion and CMP) as pimping is illegal in DR.
And why they arrest girls going out alone for prostitution, as prostituion itself nor are illegal in DR.

Reactions: waytogo

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I can't attend, but it would be nice if anybody could ask why they don't close the two big brothels on Pedro Clisante (La Passion and CMP) as pimping is illegal in DR.
And why they arrest girls going out alone for prostitution, as prostituion itself nor are illegal in DR.

rationality, logic, and the rule of law - went out the window a long time ago.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
FWIW, I don't believe this is a "town hall" type meeting for concerned citizens to voice their complaints and suggestions to the mayor or other Government officials. To my knowledge, there won't be any official representation from the Sosua Government there. It is open to the public, but it is more of a presentation by an association, ADSS (Association for Sustainable Development of Sosua) involved with the development and promotion of Sosua.

papi201

Dec 2, 2010
They are chasing the tourists away, they will find out within a couple of months.....

dukes1963

Jan 3, 2007
Are they harrassing the bars-chicas farther down by Seacrets and the smaller bars on way to La Passions?? Be there in about 10 days-I usually hang in this section of town?? Thanks

Reactions: waytogo and mike l
Mar 2, 2008
I haven't witnessed much harassment down that way, aside from the closing of the chicken stands on the corner. However, I don't usually go over there at night, so I'm not really sure what is happening in that section of town.

I imagine all parts of town are fair game for the police. If they see an opportunity to make some money, I'm sure they won't hesitate to take it.

shawn27

May 24, 2010

They would never close the brothels. That's a huge business in Sosua...

Mar 2, 2008
Yeah, I don't think Tor was actually suggesting that they close those two establishments. He was merely pointing out one of the many inconsistencies in the present "clean-up" effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.