Question: Cabarete vs. Samana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010
Hi I'm new here. I've traveled to the DR a few times already, mostly to Cabarete. In fact I was just there for about 3 weeks recently.

I haven't been to Samana yet, but I've heard a lot of great things about it, and I was just wondering how it compares to Cabarete.

Would I be able to kitesurf there? Are accommodations cheap like in Cabarete? Is the general atmosphere in Samana touristy like in Cabarete?

Thanks.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Samana

Hi, and welcome to DR1.

I'm not sure if you are referring to Samana CITY or the Samana peninsula...but the Las Terrenas area of the peninsula is very nice and there is some wind surfing there. You might need your own equipment though. I am not sure if there are organized places to rent stuff. The area is less developed than Cabarete but nicer if you are looking for pristine beaches and you are not into heavy night-life. Although I am speaking as a frequent visitor and tourist, (not a resident) I imagine that Las Terrenas looks like Cabarete did 15 or 20 years ago before a lot of building took place. But there are plenty of accommodations of all price ranges.

It is not quite as touristy as Cabarete. It has more of a European feel and there are still fishermen going out from the shore and bringing in their catch each day.

Each place has its pros and cons, but I love both areas and can be happy in either place. You probably will too.

bob

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Yes, Las Terrenas is nice, but I do think it is quite a bit more expensive than Cabarete. I have not seen any places for kite-surfing there, but then again I did not look for those. Beaches there are very nice...

Samana city I do not like at all. Of course this is my own personal feeling.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It can rain in LT and the Samana peninsula.... moreso than other places.

Just a caution.... LT is very nice w/ excellent restaurants and , as noted earlier, a stronger Euro influence than you may find in other places.

My favorite piece of trivia is that Jean Claude Killy was one of the early promoters...
Go ahead - show your ages and ask me "Who is he ?"

Who?..... his Olympic medal streak makes Alberto Tomba look like the King of the Bunny Hill.... snowplow champion Tomba

btw--- I like Tomba....... but love Killy

WW

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010
Yes, Las Terrenas is nice, but I do think it is quite a bit more expensive than Cabarete. I have not seen any places for kite-surfing there, but then again I did not look for those. Beaches there are very nice...

Samana city I do not like at all. Of course this is my own personal feeling.

Hi. What did you not like about Samana City?

I've heard that LT is nice also. More expensive than Cabarete? All the restaurants in Cabarete, even Sosua, were expensive IMO. Are there cheap places to eat in LT?

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010
I've heard about the Euro presence there.

Are the local women friendly there? No, I'm not into the hooker scene, which was quite active in Cabarete, and which I didn't go for. I do enjoy female company, however, and I was wondering what they were like in LT. thanks

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Hi. What did you not like about Samana City?

I've heard that LT is nice also. More expensive than Cabarete? All the restaurants in Cabarete, even Sosua, were expensive IMO. Are there cheap places to eat in LT?

In my experience (limited) I found that restaurants in LT were at least 30% more expensive than Cabarete. I am sure there are very nice and good places to eat at decent prices in both places. I could help you with the ones in Cabarete, but not LT.

Personally I found Samana city to be dirty, noisy and unfriendly, compared to other places on the island. I like the warm, friendly atmosphere you get in almost every town here, which I found lacking in Samana city. Mind you, once outside the city people were as friendly as ever. It is just the city itself

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Samana City

Stays in my mind as the one and only place I have completely lost my cool. A youngish man was trying to sell me something to raise money for some drug rehab place. Nothing I could do or say politely, not a finger wag, nada worked as he kept getting in my face and repeating himself.

Well I lost it. (I was overtired, and very grumpy and trying to sort out tickets and money). I started shouting at him and in Spanish which surprised him even though I had politely used it for at least five minutes. Another lady started chastising me because his cause was SO noble that how COULD I react like that to him? I just told them both to leave me in peace and left.

It should be noted that karma came around quickly. I was traveling with a ten year old, and she threw up in the back of the bus. The next thing I knew, we were rolling down a steep hill and so was her mess. The next stop I bought some newspapers and went up and down the bus laying down paper and apologizing. After that EVERY SINGLE PERSON on the bus treated me so nicely and offered gum for the kid.

But yeah Samana City, not the best vibe.

Slick James

Mar 11, 2010
I haven't been around Seman? much but if I could chime in about Las Terrenas...that place is the definition of tranquilo. Nobody bothered me once in the town, and I got approached by maybe 2 beach vendors in 5 days and all it took was a polite "no gracias" for them to move along. And whenever I needed directions or felt like talking to somebody they were always pleasant and genuine. As far as I can tell, the restaurants up there have the same tourist-trap prices you get anywhere, but I stayed in an apart-hotel and did my own cooking to avoid that problem.

The Cabarete beach is gorgeous and it certainly appears to be the spot for water sports, but the vendors, sex workers and souvenir shop owners are so agressive they appear demented. So sitting on the beach and relaxing was pretty much impossible.

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010
As far as I can tell, the restaurants up there have the same tourist-trap prices you get anywhere, but I stayed in an apart-hotel and did my own cooking to avoid that problem.

So these apart-hotels are normally furnished with cooking utensils so that you can prepare your own meals?

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
not sure when you are going but this place is $50/night after feb1.
Las Terrenas vacation villa rental: Caribbean villa in QUIET CONDO with tropical garden and mountain view. WiFi.

i am not affiliated in any way but had this place booked before some other people joined us and had to upgrade to a bigger place. the booking was very smooth and although it is not on the beach it is convenient to downtown and seems to be nice. i am sure other places are available but again it is now high season and all I have seen are much more expensive than low season. good luck, if you choose las terrenas you will not be disappointed. like the previous poster said I rarely get approached by venders in LT and there is much to do but very laid back. happy travels, ben

Slick James

Mar 11, 2010
So these apart-hotels are normally furnished with cooking utensils so that you can prepare your own meals?

This is the joint I stayed at - Playa Colibri Hotel - Oceanfront Apartments in Las Terrenas Dominican Republic.

The kitchen was better furnished than mine at home, and I was mostly cooking fresh seafood bought on the beach from the fishermen....I felt like I was on a cooking show or something.

It really is perfect - only thing is you need to be organized and try to make one big shopping trip into town to stock up on all your groceries and booze. But if you take an hour or two do that, you're chillin for the rest of your trip.

Last edited:

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010
Quick question: Are there gyms nearby the hotels in either Cabarete or LT where you can register on a month to month basis?

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010
I'm planning a trip to LT very soon for a few weeks, and I've read about a hotel called Hotel Las Palmeras.

Unfortunately, the hotel doesn't seem to have a website where I can find more info.

Has anyone ever stayed there? How was it? Rates? I especially want to know about safety (crime) and noise near the hotel. Thanks

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I would say that the two are not comparable except for being both on the coast. Samana is a small slightly touristic town with very high prices and whales.
Cabarete does not have whales.

Samana:

No, You cannot kitesurf there.
No, accommodations are not cheap.

What was the other?

The atmosphere is absolutely not like Sosua.
You will commit suicide from boredom after two days.

See the whales, fabulous and unforgettable......come home after.

Hi I'm new here. I've traveled to the DR a few times already, mostly to Cabarete. In fact I was just there for about 3 weeks recently.

I haven't been to Samana yet, but I've heard a lot of great things about it, and I was just wondering how it compares to Cabarete.

Would I be able to kitesurf there? Are accommodations cheap like in Cabarete? Is the general atmosphere in Samana touristy like in Cabarete?

Thanks.

Caberete = Americans,Canadians,Germans and English

Samana = French and Italian I will leave the choice to you.

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010
OK thanks. But what about other areas like Las Galeras or Samana City -- how do they compare to LT?

And again, has anybody stayed in Hotel Las Palmeras in LT?

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
IMHO LT is by far the most beautiful place in DR. Its pristine beaches and lush landscape could only be seen there. The prices vary depending on the comfort of Apt, or hotel you choose, however, I really can?t help you with this info, cause I never take pricing into consideration when I?m out enjoying the sites.

One thing is certain, if your into nature, you?ll love the natural beauty of this place. I sure hope this place is able to grow economically without man drestically damaging LT?s natural beauty.

Reactions: Africaida
Status
Not open for further replies.