cars rollling uphill in Cabral/Barahona

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Has anybody ever heard of this?:

Apparently, there is a spot on a raod near Cabral/Barahona, where, when you face downhill in the car and put it in neutral, the car goes backwards - uphill. The same happens with a bottle of water if you put it on the road.

I know it sounds crazy but the person who told me didn't believe it either, but they were there and tried it themselves with the car, and it was true - and this person I know not to be a liar or make things up.

Something to do with magnetic field or something, who knows....just curious if anybody ever heard of this and/or if anybody knows why this could be.

Thanks

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
see for yourself! :)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GtOfflQH8xU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GtOfflQH8xU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5iTGU8uLXFQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5iTGU8uLXFQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
It's an optical illusion.

Get yer dumpy level out and do some surveyin'.

Or if you don't believe me, I have a great design for a perpetual motion machine that I am willing to sell for pots of cash....

Last edited:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
It's an optical illusion.

Get yer dumpy level out and do some surveyin'.

Or if you don't believe me, I have a great design for a perpetual motion machine that I am willing to sell for pots of cash....

Have you ever created a model of this perpetual motion machine? I'd be interested in investing in that, if I could find a partner with cash.

We had one of these gravity-defying hills near where I grew up. It worked better at night, but the day could also work if someone was a bit naive. The key to making it work was staying on the road and not looking at it from the side, because then the illusion was uncovered.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There's one on the road to Hoyo del Pelempito too. Fun but clearly an optical illusion.

May 29, 2006
There are places like this all over. All it takes is a simple level or even a pan of water to show which way the "hill" is actually pitched.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Not falling for that one again - the cheeky bugger who bought the last 2 went back in time and undercut me at the dealer's.
Caused a paradox like you wouldn't beleive - the wife went nuts.

I'm getting into Plasmonics now....

Jul 4, 2010
I've visited the 'polos magn?ticos' since over 30 years ago. Many foreign scientists have visited there to study the effect. It's too simplistic to just chuck it off as an 'optical illusion'. Of course it's an illusion, but not one that can be easily reproduced. I imagine that a colossal cataclysm struck the region, maybe a huge asteroid (Hoyo del Pelempito?), displacing the entire region beyond a visual reference point that our human brain need to perceive inclination. Great place to take the kids!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I love optical illusions too.
I remember there is a river somewhere in the north of England that appears to flow uphill for a while - completely baffling to look at and there is a rather nice pub nearby to look at it from.
Excellent day out.