I'm so proud!

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
That Dominicans are standing up for whats important. Watching this 4% para la Educacion campaign from afar is making my heart warm. Peaceful protests, Youtube campaign and songs...I'm just so, so proud, because this is sooooo necessary!!!

This is an amazing start. It may not solve it quickly or completely but it is so great, anyway. I know some change will have to come.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FtanStNcJ8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FtanStNcJ8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ibrzNs-8-6s?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ibrzNs-8-6s?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Slowly Dominicans are getting a voice and standing up!

Social media has really helped in making this happen, gotta love Facebook :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, i do not have hopes for any results whatsoever but i am glad that more and more people recognize the importance of education. this country, any country, should spend a lot more than meager 4%!

Nov 25, 2008
Too slow for what this country needs, unfortunately it will all be forgotten with Christmas, rum and empty politician promises

Jul 4, 2010
My ten year old was told today by his teacher at the public school he attends in El Cano, Azua, that he should wear yellow on Monday. He's happy to have a yellow polo shirt ready for the occasion. It's 4% or bust, day!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It is refreshing to see Dominicans standing up for the important issues.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
seriously they spend only 4% on education? this is a shame to any country in the world, you need at least, at least 20% on education and even 20% is way behind. wow im amazed at 4%...

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
It is not even 4%. I think 4 is what they are aiming for. When you think of all the money in the informal economy it must be even less. I doubt it will improve because they would have to raise taxes and there is an reluctance to pay any as there is no transparancy with regard to how it is spend and distributed. An improvement of education would have to be done by private institutions and through donations. What is the idea of the 4% movement. I dont know. But I found a yellow polo shirt for monday. It was given to me once at Hermanos Villar for being a loyal customer.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
seriously they spend only 4% on education? this is a shame to any country in the world, you need at least, at least 20% on education and even 20% is way behind. wow im amazed at 4%...

4% of the GDP is about 20-25% of the annual budget.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Canada and the USA spend approx 6% of GDP.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Everyday I have one or two new young friends from Higuey on Facebook. Somedays I get tagged in a big pot of sancocho, once I got tagged in picture of a toliet. (Had to delete it... not good for my personal brand. LOL) Today I got tagged in a yellow 4% poster. They're all cute smart kids my daughter's age. Some of them started changing their profiles to 4%. Now I know what that's all about. Thank you POPNYChic. So glad they are standing up for a better education system!

E

engineerfg

Today, facebook photos changing. Tomorrow, rounding up all the elite into stadio olympico with a bullet in the head. Viva la revolu...oh mira mira esse mujer!

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
today at POP citys central park:
156677_464207675875_595010875_6200795_4172034_n.jpg

74682_10150348394620179_786100178_16179924_2659950_n.jpg

Reactions: Africaida

jerseygirl22

Jan 6, 2009
I thought i was going to be one of the few people to wear yellow in INTEC, but i was surprised to find more than 50% of the university wearing yellow!
29puil3.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
On the other side of the coin, El Nacional is asking just who is behind this campaign that is like, what? some 13 years late??? Who is financing the umbrellas? Nobody is his right mind would be against this 4% of GDP or 16% of the budget...What nobody is saying is where will the money go?
The Ministry owes over 3/4 billion pesos for milk
They just spent over 1/2 billion pesos on the "Integrated Text Book" deal and
US$5.0 million on books...

If this is how it is going to be spent, why spend it???? I have to agree with a lot of people that say that this has to go slowly...and sure, 4% is not perfect but it would be an improvement if it were spent wisely...

HB

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
I am saddened today by all the anger, frustration and downright impotence people are spewing in my fb feed.

they approved the budget today.....WITHOUT the 4%...

so many people went out to protest about this...MOST people even.

to see how much their congressmen and presidents care about their efforts...

their collective hearts have been broken.

they already felt impotent and finally thought theyd found a voice.... only to be met w NOTHING. not even an attempt from the powers that be.

and you all wonder why dominicans seem so despondent at times. because it seems it never matters what they think anyway....

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Nooo,
don't take it as a downside,
always see the positive.
the theme been brought to a wide public attention and will saty in the street chit chats and also be a mayopr factor for the next president's campagnes, so it been successful.
never await that a Movement get's it's approval by a gubmint or senate right away just because some people jumped on the same train and expressed their opinion.
such never happened in the US when MLK walked the streets, such did not happen right away when the Eastern Part of Germany claimed to be United, such will not happen right away with the Big Bucks shared between the Big Shots in the DR in case of the Education Budget.
it is always a Loooong and Harmful way with loss's on that way before a Big Goal will be archivated for the People.
They will go on to Claim their Rights and one sunny day they will achieve victory.
it was never expected to happen right now Today, the Movement has to go On,
for example the Monday Protests can go on with Yellow shirts and yellow Umbrellas EVERY Monday, specially in front of the Palacio Nacional with the TV Stations and Press Present to report it Live.

Mike

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
ditto on Mike again

I happened to be in SD on Monday and it was a beautiful, peaceful sight I have never seen before.

keep the faith............