Nursing care

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Hi everyone. Hope you are all ready for the forthcoming holidays and festivities.

On a more serious note I would like to ask everyone a couple of questions. Several people I have spoken to, ex-pats of course, have all told me similar tales with regards to nursing care in the hospitals on the north coast, or should I say lack of nursing care. I appreciate that Dominicans do things differently here and am not being derogative of my fellow professionals. However, being ex-pats we are used to different things from our nurses during a stay in hospital.

Being a qualified UK nurse, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to pay extra on top of the usual insurance excess, to have a private nurse who will actually do more than just give you an injection then disappear for the rest of their shift. I refer to looking after people post surgery, ensuring a safe recovery from the anaesthetic and the first day or so after, whilst in hospital and even a home visit to check on wounds/dressings.

I am also asking, what would be a reasonable price for said services, or should I say how much anyone would be willing to pay. I was thinking of around RD$1000 per day for inpatient care.

IF, there is any interest in this then I will take things further by talking to the directors of the local hospitals to guage their reaction and discuss professional insurance etc. I just wanted to test the waters before taking matters further. Obviously if there is no interest, then it will stop here.

thanks for your time everyone.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Usually in Dominican Hospitals it is the family who looks after you. The nurses, as you say, give injections and change drips, the family provides food, and generally looks after you. However, it does vary a bit from hospital to hospital. When I was in Plaza de la Salud, in the Capital, a few years ago, the hospital provided good food, although in the public hospitals they provide next to nothing. For those people who do not have family to be with them 24/7 I understand that you can ask for your own private nurse, who I assume is provided by the hospital. Obviously you pay extra for this and no doubt the hospital will set the rates.

Home visits would be something else, as the patient would no longer be under the care of the hospital - I would think there would be a bigger market for this.

Matilda

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Home care for ex-pats is a good idea. For most Dominicans, not. Dominican life still has family care, and in the smaller rural communities which most can return to, the entire community pitches in. Like it used to be in the metro-industrial societies before the family withered and went mobile.

The DR is a fantastic place for "offshore" assisted living and end-life care. This is due to its people, its abundant natural foodstuffs and low costs of construction, maintenance, pharmaceuticals and service personnel. And of course, there are the natural surroundings.

Costa Rica and Mexico have US/Euro-certified "homes" that cost government and private insurers less than those in their home countries, don't they? Why not DR?

Start one yourself. One patient at a time.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I would think that there is certainly a market for a qualified nurse who speaks English...!!!! But I would ask the residents of the North Coast whether they really use the hospitals there? The best hospitals in the country are either in SD or Santiago so I would expect that any sort of serious treatment would take place there.

I assume that you are thinking of moving here and starting a side business?

Reports are that the new hospital in Punta Cana is very high end and does the treatment for all the tourists as well, so that might be a place for you as well.

It is true that nursing care here is not what we expect from nursing care in the US, for instance... and your price range is certainly reasonable.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
hi thanks for your comments.

I already live in the DR on the North Coast. I will certainly take on board your comments and if anyone needs a home vist for nursing care, let me know...lol.

Please keep the comments coming though, the more information and opinions I have will make it easier for me to make an informed decision.

Thanks

jrhall8284

Feb 27, 2011
How do you find live in nurses in the DR, specifically in Santo Domingo? My mother-in-law lives there, all of the children are in the U.S., and she insists on staying on the island. I appreciate everyone's input.