Whale watching

Mrvolcan

May 11, 2010
Hey,

Is there a chance to see some whales before the 15 of January?
And is it possible to book a whale watching trip already on the 12.01?
Doe anyone know some good companie to book it?

thanks a lot for your help!

Mrvolcan

Mrvolcan

May 11, 2010
companies

hey,

thanks a lot.
I checked out the link, but there it says the start at the 15.01.
Is there a company that starts earlier?
I live near Sosua and don't know yet where to live in samana then.

bye Mrvolcan

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
hey,

thanks a lot.
I checked out the link, but there it says the start at the 15.01.
Is there a company that starts earlier?
I live near Sosua and don't know yet where to live in samana then.

bye Mrvolcan

The whales migrate to Samana Bay to mate and give birth. They are only here for a short time.. from mid January to mid March..., have their babies, nurse them, and get them ready for the long trip back north.. There is no food supply for them in Samana Bay!

So the start of the trips really depend on when the whales GET here. A few years ago, they were delayed by a couple of weeks because the weather in the Atlantic was so rough.

Stay tuned to DR1 .. and some one will most likely post when the whales have arrived. You can stay in Las Terrenas, for instance.. for a couple of nights and go to see them on a day trip.

There may even be tour operators that take people from Sosua.. although I would think that it would make for a very long and tiring day.

Certainly well worth a trip.

And the link posted is to Kim Beddall who is the expert and offers the most informative tour--- usually in many languages

Reactions: Lucille

georgig

Jul 25, 2010
Go to "Mel Tour" at Check point Charly. They organize, or at least last year organized, one day whale watch with pick up from Sosua - at very early morning. The other option is to spend a weekend in Samana - I'd recommend this becouse whale watching takes appx 4-5 hours and you'll be tired at the end.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Whale Watching Samana

I live in Las Terrenas. I don't believe there are any tours until the middle to end of January. It obviously depends on when the whales actually arrive. Google Kim Beddall. She is an English speaker and studies the whales. She runs tours out of Samana Bay.

S

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Kim Bedall is the best.

Without a doubt! And well worth it. I also recommend that you spend the weekend in either Samana, Las Galeras, or Las Terranas. The trip out into the bay and the whale watching will take some time, as I'm sure you would appreciate, and you may want to stop off at the island en route back to Samana to enjoy some great Dominican cuisine and a little beach time. Samana is a nice town with some very good restaurants. The experience is one that you will long remember and you will be glad you took the time to enjoy it. Have a wonderful time!

Reactions: mountainannie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
The Silver Bank, Dominican Republic: Encounter humpback whales in their natural habitat
silverbank.gif

]

thanks for posting!

this is on my

thankfully

extremely short

bucket list!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qV29xK2xyZ4?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

This is when I first heard the Humpbacks!!!

This song was a huge hit in NYC... and we learned to sing along with the whales in the background.....

which you cannot hear so well on this clip
but on the disc they are very loud

all the North Atlantic Humpbacks come to the Dominican waters to give birth every year

the males start singing as they leave.. Greenland.. Iceland,,, Nova Scotia

every year they sing a different song

and by the time they reach Dominican waters

they are all singing the same song!!

would that we had real recordings every year

and could put out

Whales greatest hits... volumes 2010

I have tried to sell this pitch to my nephew who is a film producer but alas.. it is the other nephew who is the diver.. hard to find everything in one man!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Those blue splotches are the whale caba?as. Whales are discrete:

humpback-whale-migration-routes-2.1-800X800.jpg

/QUOTE]

That route below from Massachusetts Bay to the DR is the same route followed by many of the beached whales that can be found at the Boat House in Boca Chica:

Thanks, Celt..I did not realize that they had another "cabana" off the coast of Africa.

Kim Beddall has now hooked up her group with the Woods Hole Institute in MA so they can track the whales back and forth. Since each whale has a sort of thumbprint on its tail.. they are all distinct,,, They are have some who are grandmothers.....

of course..... one cannot actually ascertain the paterinty!!

which is probably what the male whales are singing about

Reactions: Celt202