Belly dance show (video)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I was invited to centro de la cultura (in santiago) to see a belly-dance show. My girlfriend's young cousin was performing so we all went to cheer for her. Some were expert dancers and others were just students who were trying their best. The school usually puts on a show like this as cultural event. We were not allowed to make videos, just still photo shots. I managed to make this video from a hidden angle and often pretending I was taking a picture. The lights were inadequate and there was this guys with a big head in front of me. I tried my best to shoot this video from my cell phone camera. I hope you will forgive me for the bad quality.
Here are the beautiful santiagueras performing for your eyes.
AZB

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e-JBtgntkMc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e-JBtgntkMc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Nothing to forgive. That's a great clip from a cellphone and in those conditions. Looks like it was a very good show.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Awesome! I love belly dancing!

Me too, I love to dance and always wanted to perform, but my Dad would probably kill me if he saw me moving like this on the stage in front of so many men. It does not seem to be acceptable in certain cultures for girls to dance half naked in public. It would be interesting to find out how this is viewed in the DR. Are "good girls" allowed to belly dance?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Me too, I love to dance and always wanted to perform, but my Dad would probably kill me if he saw me moving like this on the stage in front of so many men. It does not seem to be acceptable in certain cultures for girls to dance half naked in public. It would be interesting to find out how this is viewed in the DR. Are "good girls" allowed to belly dance?

yes, girls are allowed to learn belllydance but i have hardly seen them dance in public like this, or even for their own family members. This show was sponsored by dance school and the majority of people were family members of the participants. \it was a good show and \i didn't even feel the 2.5 hours fly by.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I have spent some time in the last couple of years with 2 different young ladies who participate in the belly dancing fad. My observation is that (for them at least) it is an opportunity to put a "cultural" face on something they enjoy doing anyway.................... showing off their bodies and generally being sexy. Do it to reggaeton in a bikini and it's sleazy. Do it to middle eastern music in a costume that's just about as revealing and it's something "classy", you invite can the family to see.

charleslouis01

Jun 1, 2011
Belly dancing is natural to a woman's bone and muscle structure with movements emanating from the torso rather than in the legs and feet. The dance often focuses upon isolating different parts of the body, moving them independently in sensuous patterns, weaving together the entire feminine form.
Belly dancing costumes are often colorful, flowing garments, accented with flowing scarves and veils.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="152"><col width="152"><tr height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 114pt;" height="20" width="152">dance schools</td> </tr></table>

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Not a bad video. I've seen much more skin on Dominican television music shows, and this was much classier. I guess that if the dancing was done with salsa or merengue it would have been more acceptable to many.