State of the Education System in the DR...

gha1991

Dec 5, 2010
Im doing a paper on the Dominican Republic and more specifically social issues. I was wondering if someone could tell me the state of the education system. I was also wondering if there are any major issues of racism or sexism?

Last edited by a moderator:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've never said this before but use the Search function. There are numerous posts about the education system, racism...etc. To me the most important issues are government corruption and poverty. Those two issues result in sub-standard education, poor services, and general apathy by the public. That said the Dominican republic seems to run rather well regardless.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
If you are indeed doing a paper on the educational system in the DR, I don't understand how racism and sexism figure into it, as such topics would not be the types of issues an academic would touch first.

I'm not going to write the paper for you, but here are some starting points-

1) Money spent by the system per child.

2) Infrastructure/quality of average school facility.

3) Access to educational materials, i.e. books, uniforms, computers, etc.

4) Average income of school-age parents.

5) Drop-out rates.

6) Level of literacy compared to other students in countries with similar socio/economic conditions.

7) Comparison between public and private schools using the same above-mentioned points.

You can paint a pretty complete picture if you research the above topics.

I'm sure Hillbilly could opine and come up with a more concise list, but as a starting point these would be where I would begin.

you cannot begin to understand the social issues at play until you build your foundation on hard facts.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
if the OP were to use the search function on this form
with those topics
with so much debate and agonistic opinions
they'd be here for a year and still get no where

except maybe to see a phsychiatrist....:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Berzin: please read the original post. The child is writing a paper on the social issues of the DR, not on the educational system. The OP considers the educational system as part of the social structure - and probably is starting with the notion that inequalities in the educational system cause social issues. That would be an understandable notion given the amount of headlines seen the past two weeks regarding the issue of the government not spending 4% on education.

I read the OP. Social issues as they pertain to the educational system.

Which one will not be able to grasp unless one does research on the issues I mentioned. That is the basis of sociology, research first followed by conclusions based on evidence found.

Take my word for it-I know a bit about this particular field.