Bachata Lessons for a Dominican, lol.

Dec 2, 2010
So I m returning back to la capital pretty soon, and I am faced with a dilemma that no Dominican should ever have to deal with, not knowing how to dance, i recently took salsa lessons and enjoyed myself and actually showed signs of progress now i want to tackle the one i should know already..bachata, is there any place in the capital where i can take classes as opposed to learning from my cousins who will bust my balls non stop...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Anda errr diache...Bachata is the easiest thing (three steps forward, three back...move your hips and don't forget to do the little umph and the end). Oh, but don't count steps when trying to dance because that just makes you look more awkward and you'd never learn that well. Look in Youtube and I'm sure you'll find tons of videos on how to dance Bachata.

Salsa is the one that the average Dominican is intimidated about (I confess I only dance it if I have had a few and I'm in a place where people don't know me...lol).

To be honest nowadays you pretty much can get away with going to the bar and not dancing (specially in La Capital) as a lot of Dominicans are now americanized so they go to the club and just sit around people watching (like they do here in The US). Back in the days you couldn't get away with that. If you didn't dance you'd be considered a Pariguayo.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Anda errr diache...Bachata is the easiest thing (three steps forward, three back...move your hips and don't forget to do the little umph and the end). Oh, but don't count steps when trying to dance because that just makes you look more awkward and you'd never learn that well. Look in Youtube and I'm sure you'll find tons of videos on how to dance Bachata.

Salsa is the one that the average Dominican is intimidated about (I confess I only dance it if I have had a few and I'm in a place where people don't know me...lol).

To be honest nowadays you pretty much can get away with going to the bar and not dancing (specially in La Capital) as a lot of Dominicans are now americanized so they go to the club and just sit around people watching (like they do here in The US). Back in the days you couldn't get away with that. If you didn't dance you'd be considered a Pariguayo.

uggg I know!!! WTH, I hate that.....

the girls in the dance floor and the guys watching them making sure they dont spill their drinks....now those are Pariguayos to me!!!!!!!:mad:

Dec 2, 2010
anda errr diache,lol, have heard it many times but never saw it spelled out, i thought it was that basic until i went out to a few nightclubs and seen couples doing a lot more than that, so i figured i might get some good tips from a class and it ll give me something to do. as far as standing around watching people, i ve done that for too long figured i get out of dat style b/c it isnt much fun, and not much has changed from what i know, if u dont dance your still a pariguayo(as evidenced to a US screening of La Soga where upon seeing the scene where Manny Perez tells the girl he doesnt dance, the women in the theater gasped and mumbled "que Pariguayo"

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I dance Bachata and Merengue when I want a relief from Salsa (much harder IMO).

I would take Bachata lessons in the US if I were you (less embarrassing, lol). I never took one but I think the lessons make their Bachata look too much like Salsa doing dips and turns that I have never seen Dominicans do.

Practice, practice, it's really not hard (even for non-dominican).

In the US, the only Bachata dancers that I have seen and like and are Troy and Jorget: YouTube - Bachata (Dominican Style Explained)