Help with Home Electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

waverider

Sep 4, 2010
With the increase in home electricity rates I am interested in avenues where I can lower the bill. Yes I know the normal items, solar,wind,generator, and invertor but someone must have a better way! I also know people that tap the main power line night or day and steal power,, this is not one of my choices,,, but I am sure there is a better mousetrap where someone on this forum has a great idea,, now legal and illeagal is a fine line but all realistic answers will be considered, even new investment ideas other than the ones mention above. OK CLEVER PEOPLE WHERE R U? :chinese:

Nov 25, 2008
the magic solution is cutting off the grid like our for fathers did, in reality the electric % will continue to rise...11%...13%, solar is not an option in this country, way too expensive.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The easiest and most semi legal option is to have two meters - especially if you consume a lot. This saves you going into the higher bracket. If you have a guest suite or part of your house that you could say you rent out then it is easy to have a separate meter for that.

There are other illegal options, such as slowing the meter down, bypassing it for part of the day or night etc, but these usually involve an electricity company employee and they have a habit of doing the work for you and then snitching on you, so you end up getting a heavy fine. Of course they are in a win win situation as get paid for the work you have done by you, and then get paid by the inspector for snitching on you.

Alternatively, just try and use less!

Matilda

Jul 4, 2010

Alternatively, just try and use less!

Matilda

Or alternatively, move to a poor area, where everyone is connected directly to the grid. Like here, in Las Lomas de Azua and surrounding villages and countryside, where over 1500 households pay no electricity, because we are all poor campesinos, barely subsisting on government and private handouts, like Solidaridad, BonoGas, ComerEsPrimero, PlanInternacional, etc., and direct food and cash intermittent subsidies provided by government party politicians buying our votes for the next election.

waverider

Sep 4, 2010
Wow Good Info!

Ok,,, my property is deeded as 2 parcels,, total legal,, so I could have 2 METERS legally? If that is true where can I buy and install another,, please do not say call Edenorte,, I need a phone number of a service guy who moonlights and is a certified employee of Edenorte,,, First and for most I need it install to be safe!!:paranoid:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You can have two meters if there are two properties, or as a said a guest house where you can say it needs to be separately charged and paid for. You cannot put two meters in for one single house.

Sorry cannot help re Edenorte, best to ask around.

Matilda

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
My power bill in the bar has reduced by RD2,000 a month compared to 6 mths ago.

I took the following measures:

1. Eliminated the possibility of my neighbours stealing from me

2. Updated/replaced old inefficient equipment

3. Replaced 3 old cfl bulbs with one new one - cfl bulbs yellow over time & produce less light

4. I'm ruthless with turning off unused appliances

5. Edenorte supply 4hrs less power a day - thank you!

hope this helps you all

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
In reality the two positions that are already mentioned here would help - by Matilda had given a correct advice - split the electric system for two or three meters. It is possible if you will supply the Edenorte people with reasonable explanation. And second - by ffritz - try to check all your connections (after the Edenorte meter) for the possibility of stealing (it is true - some gringos are doing this - especially the ones who rentout neighbouring properties).

waverider

Sep 4, 2010
All Info is GREAT

OK,,,, all the information has been great and I will be checking and looking in every crack to stop the ever rising electrical bill,,, now I still know there are some very SMART people on this forum that still have secrets about lowering the electrical,,,,

PLEASE SEND ME A PRIVATE EMAIL,,,,, as always I never repeat what I read! and if I do act on someones suggestion that they email me and it works I will be happy to pay you some small but generous PESOs from my heart to your heart ,, or is that from my pocket to your pocket! :bunny:

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
The best way to check nobody is stealing is to turn off every breaker in your breaker box, check your meter, if it is registering consumption somebody is stealing from you!

Almost forgot - it's best to do this after dark since tht's when your neighbours are most likely to be using power - lights etc

kbeitz

Dec 24, 2010
WWW.Beitz.net
There is no way I would want to tap into the electric in Dominican Republic...

wires%201.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.