Unstable Electricity Puerto Plata

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
We often have electrical issues here on the north coast. BUT the last week it has been ridiculous. No schedule of outages. Some days it goes 5, 6 or 7 hours then the next day it goes out 3 times in one day for 3 hours at a shot.

The website for Ede Norte is out of date. Anyone got some insider info? What the hell is going on with this company????

Reactions: Bronxboy

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I have tried calling them and got too frustrated with the answers or so called answers. And I am now officially tired of the word ahorita!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If you do go remember to bring your extra 11% for payment of your non service :ermm:

Bob K

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Yesterday the power here in Costambar was unusually good, only short powercuts. So, after experiencing no problems with thawing food during the longer outages, I turned my freezers off for a couple of hours.

well it IS one way to offset the price increase ;-)

May 5, 2007
Yesterday the power here in Costambar was unusually good, only short powercuts. So, after experiencing no problems with thawing food during the longer outages, I turned my freezers off for a couple of hours.

well it IS one way to offset the price increase ;-)

No savings there. Though you may not physically notice it, your food has become warmer

Whatever little bit your frozen food defrosts, the freezer is going to use more energy bringing it back to your set temperature

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
No savings there. Though you may not physically notice it, your food has become warmer

Whatever little bit your frozen food defrosts, the freezer is going to use more energy bringing it back to your set temperature

I beg to differ. Since Costambar went from 4hr to 8hr power outages our usage & bill HAS dropped significantly. By the way I read the meter daily :)

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Less electricity and more power outages means a spike up in births!!! At least with that you don't need any electricity just a natural human physical combustion and reaction!!!

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
It is at my bar & remember fridges & freezers are insulated & as a rule of thumb cycle 65% on 35% off & mine are not on the invertor. i know it may seem crazy to some but when we have less power my bill goes down!

Psssst don't tell Edenorte tho ;-)

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
I've just been thinking about this on the throne.

When we were on 8 hour powercuts a day I was using 10-11kWh per day. Now we're on 4-6hr cuts I use 11-13kWh per day.

Maybe there's a "sweet spot" for refrigeration power consumption.

By the way I read my meter daily & have stopped theft by my neighbours about 6 mths ago.

& in a previous life I used to do energy efficiency audits for SMEs ;-)

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
windeguy, I'm not claiming the freezers maintain the same temp as when the power is on, but it is quite possible to maintain acceptable temps while the power is out.

Also, like most people here we set the temp lower than strictly necessary to "super chill" between power cuts. When we have long periods without cuts we get the occasional frozen beer ;-)

As regards the amount of food/beer in our freezers, week on week it is remarkably constant, we're running a business & stock control is strictly errr controlled :)

All I'm saying is when we get less power our bill drops. Right now the power morons are supplying less power & receiving less money. If they go back to the previous power supply levels I'll be throwing the switch 4 hours a day. Maybe then I'll be able to give you a definitive answer.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Can I assume you have no batter back up? IF you do then you use more electricity - correct? As I understand it you lose approx 20% charging and discharging...

Please confirm this for me someone.....

And the issues continue. Our old schedule is out the window. Now we go out 2, 3 and occasionally 4 times a day - 2- 5 hours depending. Soon I will have to buy 4 new batteries!!!!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Just an update on the situation in POP. We have gone from an outage a day of 4 to 5 hours to 2 outages a day for 2 hours each. Now I don't really have a huge problem with this in fact I prefer it. If only it would fit into a pattern..........then we could anticipate when it would go out. Today 7 to 9 am and then 3to 5pm.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
I agree dmv! There's been no schedule posted since the middle of November :-/

Only problem with all this power is we're using 2kWh per day more at the bar - the bill's gonna be RD500 more this month :-(

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I just checked my bill received Dec 2nd for November usage and let me tell you the higher rates are already reflected!!!! WTF

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Windeguy
My recent bill of Dec 4th showed the same. Just have to cut down and switch the coffee pot to gas!!!

Olly