Is merengue dying?

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
Merengue will never die in the DR. NEVER. Dont see why its even a question.

And the grammys are bullsh*t. They pretty much only nominate folks if theyre on the American billboard charts, not based on quality as some seem to think. I mean, did you SEE this years nominee list? I wanted to hurl, it was so terrible.

Its still extremely popular all over Latin America so I'm not understanding how the American POV makes or breaks a genre that they have never ever cared for and was never for them to begin with.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Traditional Merengue is definitely "dying". Just like any form of music is just evolving into different forms, be it Merengue de calle, Merengue fusion (i.e. Rita Indiana) or whatever that's called, etc...Some form of it will always be played in The DR

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Blame Omega. He killed it. It's all his fault.

He is also bringing Merengue (de calle/urbano - whatever) to the ears of many people who would have never even thought about listening to it. Besides, realistically he is just ONE artist. He is not going to single-handedly tumbar la monta?a de Meregue.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Merengue will NEVER die, just as Bachata will NEVER die. Will it change and evolve?...likely it will, it ALWAYS does. Even El Mayimbe has changed his sound here and there, he has went from the good ol' days of Cabarete-esqe style Bachata to incorporating Pianos, Electric Drum Pads and Keyboards, but it is STILL great Bachata. Merengue will ALWAYS have a home in the Dominican Republic AND abroad, because people who are TRULY fans of it will not by led astray (at least too far) by any modern musical trends. As with most genres of music, the best is normally always the old stuff. I respect artist like Omega, Tulile, Juliana, El Sujeto etc., because they bring Merengue to audiences that normally would never hear it and/or be interested in it due to the inherent cultural 'boundaries'. The way I see it bad press is GOOD press, because eventually somebody will dig deeper and discover Tipico y Ripiao and realize how good the old Merengues are of Blas Duran, Anthony Santos, Los Hermanos Rosario, Johhny Ventura etc etc. When it comes to Bachata and Merengue, many people like myself will always stick to the classics. Merengue isn't going anywhere, who cares what the Grammy's do or don't do.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Traditional Merengue is definitely "dying". Just like any form of music is just evolving into different forms, be it Merengue de calle, Merengue fusion (i.e. Rita Indiana) or whatever that's called, etc...Some form of it will always be played in The DR

I would have to disagree, it might not be growing - there might not be any 'new' Merengue that has the old classic sound, but that does not mean its dying. Think about it, when you think of CLASSIC Merengue, really, really GREAT songs, how many NEW artists come to mind?? Not many I would think. So although the newer artists seem to be 'growing' what type of mark are they actually leaving on the entire genre?? Not a big one, thats for certain. When people STOP listening to the classics, then you could say that its dying. But just like Bachata the older Merengue will always been in demand, if only on the radio. Independencia 93.3 plays nothing but 'los a?os dorados de la bachata' for like 3 hours, EVERY DAY. That says that there are still MANY people (like myself) who will always prefer the older stuff, EVEN THOUGH the newer stuff is available.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Merengue is dying? but every famous Boricua singer is putting merengue in his reportoire, also count Shakira in it. Now merengue singed by Dominicans IS Dying. I agree with you on that.

Reactions: Africaida

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
fancy that

Merengue dancing as traditionally performed is characterized by a stylized limping step, known as paso de la empalizada, or the "pole-fence step." Legend tells that the style was developed to imitate or flatter a wounded war hero or government leader who danced with a limp. The empalizada causes the dancers' hips to sway, and ideally, partners' hips move in sync with each other throughout the dance

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pass me the shovel, please, i am ready to see it off.
and bring on the reggaeton!!!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I don't think merengue is dying, I went to a Peruvian party (pollada) this year and they played more Merengue than any other music.

JJ

baby bori

May 18, 2010
which is even worse.[/QUOTE

Even worse???? The survival of music particularly a music genre is vitally dependent on the support and enthusiasm it draws from the younger generation ages 14-35. The majority of this age group is not too fond or deeply enthusiastic with traditional merengue even perico ripaio. Just next time wherever you maybe ask this age group what gets them excited what makes them dance and blast the radio at home, in their vehicles, or at a club. Most likely their response will be reggaeton, hip hop, techno, and some bachata possibly but at a minimal. The traditional merengue is more like for the older crowd typically 40+ yrs of age they usually get upbeat and giddy for it just fact!!!!

May 29, 2006
What will happen is what happened to country music in the US. It will lose its heart and become big business. Give me Hank Williams and Patsy Cline over anything they play nowadays. Merengue/bachata will still be around, but it's a bad time to be an accordian salesman in the DR.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
merengue is in trouble and many major merengue singers are aware of it. The other day I ran into ruby perez on the street (parque mirador). He is our old client from the clinic. When I walked into his chat with his friends, I heard he was complaining of merengueros not doing enough to produce better music and deviating from the traditional merengue etc. merengueros were worried and uncertain of their genre.
AZB

Jul 4, 2010
Merengue dancing as traditionally performed is characterized by a stylized limping step, known as paso de la empalizada, or the "pole-fence step." Legend tells that the style was developed to imitate or flatter a wounded war hero or government leader who danced with a limp. The empalizada causes the dancers' hips to sway, and ideally, partners' hips move in sync with each other throughout the dance

The shuffling gait of the typical merengue is derived from an aboriginal dance, which can be seen in it's current version, called 'baile de palo', where two partners twirl slowly around each other, changing directions after several turns. One foot is used as an axis, while the other is shuffled. The upper body is usually kept rigid. The dance is done to a staccato beat.

Jul 4, 2010
Here's one of my old time favorites, composed by Joseito Mateo, and performed for the first time at a party for General?simo Trujillo, where Joseito came out dancing, dressed as a campesino and brandishing a machete.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LC2nHA35Qys?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LC2nHA35Qys?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Here's one of my old time favorites, composed by Joseito Mateo, and performed for the first time at a party for General?simo Trujillo, where Joseito came out dancing, dressed as a campesino and brandishing a machete.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LC2nHA35Qys?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LC2nHA35Qys?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Eso fue un plagio de Joseito Mateo para caer bien ante los ojos de "El Jefe"

This is the original Merengue they changed the lyrics....
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w02Tf33U2ZA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w02Tf33U2ZA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
JJ

Last edited: