How to obtain copy of divorce decree

MHays

Dec 7, 2010
My Dad divorced his wife in the DR around April of 1988. He can not find his copy of the divorce decree. Would there still be a record of this at the court house? and who can do the search and find a copy for him?

Thanks so much,

Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Money talks. Lawyers can find it, so could anyone, if you give the name, dates and city...should not be a major issue...

HB

DianaC

Jan 8, 2005
Divorce info

If it was done the same way in 1988 as it was done in the 1990s, then if someone (anyone) goes to the local registry where his marriage was first registered and obtains a copy of his marriage certificate, there should be an annotation at the bottom recording the divorce and the sentencia. From that he should be able to find the actual decree at the registry where it was first registered. He probably knows where the divorce was first registered.

Good luck.

MHays

Dec 7, 2010
Thanks for the input. No one remembers which city it was in other than Santo Domingo and the exact date is a bit fuzzy. Now learning that California statute does not consider this divorce valid.

Thanks anyway! MH

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would say that if it was not a Divorcio al Vapor (one of those "quickies") it is probably valid. Who is California to say that a divorce is not valid???

Try and find out more information. These things are registered at the Registro Civil...

HB

DianaC

Jan 8, 2005
Thanks for the input. No one remembers which city it was in other than Santo Domingo and the exact date is a bit fuzzy. Now learning that California statute does not consider this divorce valid.

Thanks anyway! MH

He doesn't remember the date he got married or the place where he was married? Because someone can go there and get the marriage certificate with the divorce information as per my post above. That will lead them to the divorce decree.