Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to stay safe in DR

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to stay safe in DR

I've researched this topic on previous discussions and know all the general rules to staying safe, however I was somewhat bothered by a posting on Dominican today stating that 61% of Dominicans don't feel safe. Do people currently living in DR not feel safe in general? I'm trying to see what I can do besides the obvious to not be a target.

I have a habit of walking from Gazcue to El Conde in the afternoon's, as well as the Malecon. Should I not do that and just take a trusted taxi everywhere? I have a mid range Michael Kors watch that only cost $250.. should I not even wear a watch? Do most crimes happen at night or do many occur during the day? I can't imagine what could possibly happen if I will almost always be surrounded by people. I'm just going through my usual anxiety since I leave on Friday. I would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks.
    Last edited by shawn27; 12-08-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling error

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I am in SD, I stay in a hotel in general area of Clinica Abreu and walk to the Conde. I also walk along the Malecon. Have no reason to think it is not safe.

Much of the crime occurs in the barrios, not in the areas frequented by tourists.

Come, enjoy your stay, and just continue doing what you have been doing.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken2 View Post
    Whenever I am in SD, I stay in a hotel in general area of Clinica Abreu and walk to the Conde. I also walk along the Malecon. Have no reason to think it is not safe.

Much of the crime occurs in the barrios, not in the areas frequented by tourists.

Come, enjoy your stay, and just continue doing what you have been doing.
    Yeah that clinic is in Gazcue.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Santo Domingo is as safe as Washington, DC.

In both capitals you need to know where the lines are drawn or you are prey.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No jewelry

Quote Originally Posted by shawn27 View Post
    I have a mid range Michael Kors watch that only cost $250.. should I not even wear a watch?
    What is inexpensive to you is a fortune to the next person.....
    I have very expensive jewelry and when I go back to the states in January for a month I am selling it all. Play it safe, don't wear ANY jewelry, including a CHEAP watch, they don't know it's cheap.
    If you look like an Americano, your every move is being watched.....

B in Santiago and loving every minute

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

How to be safe in the DR??? Stay away from dangerous barrios, don't hang around with low lifer tigueres, mind your own business, and always ask a woman or man if they are truly single and to prove it before starting a relationship with them!!! Want to keep your wallet safe??? Stay away from barrio women, night clubs, and carwash chicas,etc.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    What is inexpensive to you is a fortune to the next person.....
    I have very expensive jewelry and when I go back to the states in January for a month I am selling it all. Play it safe, don't wear ANY jewelry, including a CHEAP watch, they don't know it's cheap.
    If you look like an Americano, your every move is being watched.....

B in Santiago and loving every minute
    I am American but don't look like a typical gringo. I'll be safe and go without the watch. I appreciate the input.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baby bori View Post
    How to be safe in the DR??? Stay away from dangerous barrios, don't hang around with low lifer tigueres, mind your own business, and always ask a woman or man if they are truly single and to prove it before starting a relationship with them!!! Want to keep your wallet safe??? Stay away from barrio women, night clubs, and carwash chicas,etc.
    lol good advice.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baby bori View Post
    Wallet? Tourists don't need wallets. They also don't need bulges of any kind in their pants pockets. Disperse cash by denominations in several pockets. Travel with a photocopy of your passport. Leave the room key at the front desk. I wear a plain Timex with a leather band. It is very modest yet very functional. I also have a cheap Dominican cell phone which no self respecting Chulo would ever be caught dead using. Hide your American cigarettes in your sock or you'll look like the Pied Piper leading all the smokers out of town. Most of the clothes I wear there came off the clearance rack at Marshall's and I doubt if any one item was over $10 (except for my $20 walking shoes) but I'm clean and my clothes match and I look good. Good and modest and alert and the look on my face, although friendly says "Don't ask me for ish".

Stay away from night clubs and barrio women? Are you nuts? I was born and raised in a barrio and visit them often because the most fun is always around the corner from the most danger. What the heck would anyone want with a bunch of stuck up, sadiddy debutantes sitting around at a social ball and giggling about one another's dresses, hairdo's and accessories? Thanks but I'd rather be at the night club right up 'till the point where the DJ makes my ears bleed.

Nope. I'll take the "Round-the-Way" Girl every time. There's less fake going on there. Some of my favorite Dominicanas check their guns at the club entrance. Like I said...no danger, no fun.

Oh yeah. Forget about aikido (Milos). It doesn't work with large groups and muggers like to come in groups. Be ready to run. Wherever you happen to be in life always have an exit planned.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shawn27 View Post
    I am American but don't look like a typical gringo. I'll be safe and go without the watch. I appreciate the input.
    I am always amazed by these statements. Dont try to fool yourself - Dominicans know immediately that you are not a local! They ALWAYS know.

Even after years of living here, they will still KNOW.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast