National Association of Lawyers in DR? Please Help!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Is there some kind of Governing body or organization in the DR that can give advice and or help clients (in this case a foreigner) prosecute lawyers for not completing or outright stealing money from unsuspecting foreign clients.

Briefly, A family i have been trying to help by translating a little and passing information between themselves and their Dominican Lawyer paid for emergency legal representation upfront by bank transfer from UK to her bank account, the sgreement was that half of this money would be used for expenses and legal costs and the second half to be paid on completion of services. The reason the total amount was actually sent was because of urgency expressed by lawyer, she said the whole process woud take only 6 weeks....now i do realize what you are thinking, why the hell pay everything upfront, but at the end of the day that is what happened and there is nothing we can do to change that.

Anyway the lawyer a year later still has not completed services and basically gone off the radar, this family have been through the mill and are in process having legal demand being written for the balance to be returned until the have a result.

Is there any likelyhood lawyer can be sued or at least can be reported to some kind of Assosiation.

Sorry for the lack of legal jargon and or knowledge but i really would like to help this family as much as possible.

Thank you

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Colegio de Abogados

Is there some kind of Governing body or organization in the DR that can give advice and or help clients (in this case a foreigner) prosecute lawyers for not completing or outright stealing money from unsuspecting foreign clients.

Briefly, A family i have been trying to help by translating a little and passing information between themselves and their Dominican Lawyer paid for emergency legal representation upfront by bank transfer from UK to her bank account, the sgreement was that half of this money would be used for expenses and legal costs and the second half to be paid on completion of services. The reason the total amount was actually sent was because of urgency expressed by lawyer, she said the whole process woud take only 6 weeks....now i do realize what you are thinking, why the hell pay everything upfront, but at the end of the day that is what happened and there is nothing we can do to change that.

Anyway the lawyer a year later still has not completed services and basically gone off the radar, this family have been through the mill and are in process having legal demand being written for the balance to be returned until the have a result.

Is there any likelyhood lawyer can be sued or at least can be reported to some kind of Assosiation.

Sorry for the lack of legal jargon and or knowledge but i really would like to help this family as much as possible.

Thank you

There is the Colegio de Abogados Colegio Abogados Rep. Dom.
which IS very loosely similar to the Bar Association in other countries. It is apparently not very highly thought of in terms of being a discipliniary body despite the "manifesto" of its discipliniary tribunal,

Tribunal Disciplinario
Esta encargado de conocer y decidir de las acusaciones que sean formuladas contra los miembros del Colegio por faltas en el ejercicio de su profesi?n y por violaci?n a la ley No. 91 que instituye el Colegio de Abogados de la Rep?blica Dominicana, del 3 de febrero de 1983, su Estatuto Org?nico, su C?digo de ?tica y las Resoluciones de la Junta Directiva o de la Asamblea General, el mismo a su vez es esta facultado a pronunciar las sanciones correspondientes.

They would possibly be more prepared to protect and support a member against outside "attack" and particularly if the antagonist is extranjero, but maybe it's worth a try.

Good Luck,

Bryan