Residency Fees Increased

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
An item in the DR1 news today indicates that residency fees have been increased. Since it indicates the Central Election Board also increased its fees (I must have missed seeing that), I assume cedula prices are also higher.

"In a surprise move that caught many people unprepared, the General Migration Directorate has increased all residence permit fees. The new rates are about 20% higher than before according to El Caribe. The increases caused unrest among the lawyers who go to the offices to renew resident permits or to request other services, a similar reaction to the steps taken last week by the Central Electoral Board when they raised their fees by approximately 300%. Migration Director Sigfrido Pared Perez said that the fees have been frozen for two years and an increase was needed in order to make the agency more efficient. Hoy newspaper says that submitting papers for residency permits now costs RD$1,500, and the ID card for adults now costs RD$5,500 and for minors RD$4,500. Provisional resident permits cost RD$4,000. "

Glad that I renewed my residency in September for 3 years and have 4 more on my cedula. One can only guess how much higher the fees will be by then.

Reactions: windeguy

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
...... Glad that I renewed my residency in September for 3 years and have 4 more on my cedula. One can only guess how much higher the fees will be by then.

Right, hard to bleed the population much more, so they turned to bleeding the tourist with more and more taxes and now they are starting on the Ex-Pat residents.

Have to keep those politicians fed!

Reactions: mike l

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
3 years???

Hey Ken

I have renewed the "Permanent Residency" card several times and it has always been valid for 2 years only.

Are you sure you renewed yours for 3 years????

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hey Ken

I have renewed the "Permanent Residency" card several times and it has always been valid for 2 years only.

I believe you can do up to 10 years now, if you have had it for X amount of years. I think it's around RD$2,500 additional per year.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hey Ken

Sure, I'm sure. This is a change this year. An option for residents with at least X years, as Robert said. When I went to the window to pay, the woman said RD$xxx for 2 years. Because I had read on this board that you could now get a renewal for more years, I asked if I could get more than 2. She looked through my papers, laughed (I have 20+ years as a resident) and said yes, I could have renewal for longer. She said the price for 3 years was RD$XXX and I said fine, 3 years. I thought about asking for more, but decided that all things considered I should just renew for 3.

She wrote 3 years on my application form and when card was given me it was for 3 years.

I don't know what number of years is required to get renewed for longer than 2, but it won't hurt to ask next time you renew your residency.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I believe you can do up to 10 years now, if you have had it for X amount of years. I think it's around RD$2,500 additional per year.

Those lowlife PLD's will stoop to anything to make their last $$$. 2012 the end.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Those lowlife PLD's will stoop to anything to make their last $$$. 2012 the end.

Maybe so, but I for one was happy to pay for a third year when I renewed my residency.

It makes sense to me to have a longer period than 2 years for those of us who have been residents long enough to establish a record as solid citizens. I am happy the government is making this option available.

When you renew, if option still available, nobody will force you to renew for more than the standard 2 years if you feel so strongly this is a PLD plot to squeeze more money out of the ex-pats.

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Can we clear this up please???

I just renewed this past Tuesday.Ive been a resident for about 10 years.No one offered me an option to pay more for a longer renewal period which I gladly wouldve taken.Can anyone clear this up for sure?

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I, too, renewed my permanent residency through the offices of Guzman, the board's preferred legal advisor.
I had heard that you could renew for longer than the default 2 years but when I requested a longer period was advised that it was not permitted.

Someone must have a definitive answer but my experience with the Guzman firm would suggest the limit is 2 years.
My

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I just renewed this past Tuesday.Ive been a resident for about 10 years.No one offered me an option to pay more for a longer renewal period which I gladly wouldve taken.Can anyone clear this up for sure?

When I renewed my residency in Santo Domingo in September, nobody asked me if I wanted more than 2 years. The assumption of the clerk was 2 years. However, when I requested more time, she checked my papers, said I was eligible and gave me the price for 3 years. I could have asked for longer than that, but for various reasons, was satisfied with 3 years. And that is how long my renewed residency is for.

I don't know what else I can tell those of you who doubt this is possible, other than to invite you to stop by my condo and see the card.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
as written by a poster above,
If You are a permanent resident for more than 10 years then You can renew for also 10 years as a max in one sweep, so it will not bother You if they raise the rates again next year or in 4 years, lol.
Mike

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
In 1995 when my wife became an American citizen the fees was US $90. Dollars and now I'm checking to see if I can apply next year and the fees is set for $ 650.
No sure if next year will be the same.

Lo que es igual no es ventaja!!!

JJ