farming in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2006
There is some cattle but the heat/humidity apparently isn't very good for them. There have been pigs, goats and chickens on the island since Columbus times. The pig and chicken industries are moving to industrial methods, which is a shame because the pork and chicken is traditionally very good and you don't get the same flavor. The "native" creole pig was nearly wiped out in the 80s due to a scare from a virus, but there are some still out there on smaller farms. Dominican ducks are great, which I suspect are a type of Muscovy, a very large breed that is barely a duck.

Nicholas M

Dec 9, 2010
You think right now being a farmer is a good business. Have a few head of cattle, selling milk, meat etc. I heard that is good and would like to know peoples opinion who live here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is a good way to lose a lot of money. Farming, strangely enouth, has no friends. You are either an SOB (no matter what area) or you are taken to the cleaners.

The rice mills steal from the rice farmers, so a lot of rice farmers are putting up their own mills. Banana farmers are selling to foreign companies so they get paid. Chicken farmers are going industrial for eggs and broilers, with little control. Milk-at least they call it milk-comes from anything but a cow, and the little cow milk is usually cut...

No, I can think of nothing worse to invest your money in.

Now, if you have DEEP pockets and can do a turn-key, professional operation, without stepping on anyone's toes, you Might be able to make it. For example, vegetables for export under green house conditions (flowers and berries, too)...BUT you need to really line up the ducks..both here and there. You would go broke in a month of shipping veggies that were turned down by the USDA because they had traces of some banned chemical on them....

Go really really slow with this...

HB, PhD, Tropical Agriculture

Nicholas M

Dec 9, 2010
I was just wondering why are there so many cows all around the country. I thought it might be a good business.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.