Getting around what is your mode of transport??

Nov 10, 2010
This might be interesting
I am looking at how toeconomically get around.

My current options are a
Suzuki jimny
Jeep 4 cylinder patriot
ATV
Theres a cool looking ATV/jeep thats sold by star motors just uotside of cabarete

I may install the LPG kit for $500us dollars
Im looking for economical means.... what cars/jeeps ATV do you recommend? I hope this will be an enjoyable post and am looking forward to your responses

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.....

light bar across the front top.... basket carrier on the roof..... beefed up horn blaster

Heavy duty shocks and oversized (not huge) tires.

Big tires and HD shocks are important.... flats are no fun and some roads are in rough shape....
The horn a vital method of communication... make sure you are heard above the crowd

Toyotas are very popular... Jeeps are easy to fix

WW
I think there a thread on this from a year or so back

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A golden winged chariot :D

Isuzu pick-up diesel, very low consumption. Capital to Punta Cana uses up RD$300 worth of fuel, less than a bus ticket.
In my immediate area, I use a bicycle and my own two legs as much as possible.

Nov 10, 2010
Be very very wary of cheap Chinese products.
The Suzuki or Jeep sounds like OK options.

Toyota is the best brand to own here because parts are available
and mechanics know how to repair them.

Good advice.
I have experienced DR mechanics.... there are deficiencies there, is all i'll say!

Ill check out some of the Toyota cars/suvs

thanks

Nov 10, 2010
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.....

light bar across the front top.... basket carrier on the roof..... beefed up horn blaster

Heavy duty shocks and oversized (not huge) tires.

Big tires and HD shocks are important.... flats are no fun and some roads are in rough shape....
The horn a vital method of communication... make sure you are heard above the crowd

Toyotas are very popular... Jeeps are easy to fix

WW
I think there a thread on this from a year or so back

Wrangler averages highway 19miles a gallon mixed urban!

HB qoted me that a gallon of gasoline 'is ....drumroll = $4.28

cost to drive 19 miles is $4.65us (37rd-$1us)

Or if i put lpg gas in it... it will cost 87rd ($2.50us) to drive 17 miles ( as lpg acheives less mileage versus gasolina.
i suppose if i were to drive from sosua to POP ( 40kilometres / 25miles) using lpg gas in a wrangler it would cost 240rd/$6.50 us .... i think my maths is right. I suppose thats reasonable

Nov 10, 2010
A golden winged chariot :D

Isuzu pick-up diesel, very low consumption. Capital to Punta Cana uses up RD$300 worth of fuel, less than a bus ticket.
In my immediate area, I use a bicycle and my own two legs as much as possible.

how many miles is that / kilometres????

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Or if i put lpg gas in it... it will cost 87rd ($2.50us) to drive 17 miles ( as lpg acheives less mileage versus gasolina.
i suppose if i were to drive from sosua to POP ( 40kilometres / 25miles) using lpg gas in a wrangler it would cost 240rd/$6.50 us .... i think my maths is right. I suppose thats reasonable

Don't overthink this...

You realy don't drive that many miles here.... forget the mileage.. the fuel price will not kill you

Safe, dependable transportation is what is called for.

Good luck

WW

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Don't overthink this...

You realy don't drive that many miles here.... forget the mileage.. the fuel price will not kill you

Its an Island for goodness sakes

Safe, dependable transportation is what is called for.

Good luck

WW

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have a small honda and a toyota jeep. both are fine: honda is perfect to move around the city, drive to work and do all the daily stuff; toyota is great for longer trips and crappy weather.
still, my preferred mode of transport is walking which amazes dominicans to no end :)

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
because to them its all about appearances. And walking #1 means you re poor. And #2 it means you ll get your clothes all mussed up from all the dust and exhaust fumes. And #3 it means you re going to sweat ruining your makeup and your clothes. And #4 women dont have/use the appropriate footwear for walking long distances.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
because to them its all about appearances. And walking #1 means you re poor. And #2 it means you ll get your clothes all mussed up from all the dust and exhaust fumes. And #3 it means you re going to sweat ruining your makeup and your clothes. And #4 women dont have/use the appropriate footwear for walking long distances.

have been here for many years and never has a car.In samana,where I have a house,I have a pasola or two.Not many cars there,and do not go too far,maybe LT.Here in SD,where I have an apt., I use publicos sometimes,but usually walk the city.
When I go to Samana,I use the Guagua.
If I need to go food shopping,I can always get a taxi back,no more than 150 pesos,just about anywhere in city,to ZC.
bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You can take the boy out of the south, but...
RedneckGolfCart.jpg

Reactions: MikeFisher

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
It is amazing the looks you get for walking!!!! So many out of shape unhealthy Domincans and no one walks! Free easy exercise.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In spite of what you say, I see groups (gaggles) of women around Gaspar Hernandez and Rio San Juan out walking for exercise on the roadside.

I couldn't believe it, but there they were.... fast walking in the right shoes, etc,
Just women, no spouses

Go figure.... antbody seen it anywhere else?

I thought maybe a new doctor had come to the area.

WW

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
In spite of what you say, I see groups (gaggles) of women around Gaspar Hernandez and Rio San Juan out walking for exercise on the roadside.

I couldn't believe it, but there they were.... fast walking in the right shoes, etc,
Just women, no spouses

Go figure.... antbody seen it anywhere else?

I thought maybe a new doctor had come to the area.

WW
Mornings and evenings there are many groups, mostly women, who walk to La Confluenica and back here in Jarabacoa.

We walk it several times a week, about a 3 mile r/t.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I try to walk in the mornings, before its too hot but our hill is about 45-50 degrees, like ski hill......kills me.

Our 80+ yr old neighbor did it until a couple years ago

So don't tell me that Dominicans don't walk.... this old guy and his wife did that hill regularly.... just her these days, sadly

WW

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
WOW you all take everything literally! Cripes I did not say NO ONE walks..... it is just not overly done!!!!

Here you are walking if you HAVE to walk or that is the perception and judgement. Exceptions are the ones who walk in groups - on the Malecon etc...........

I am going back to not saying **** here!!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Walking for exercise is very popular, but you have to wear special clothes for it to show you are exercising as opposed to going about your daily routine.

I'm the opposite - one of the few things I really miss about where I came from is the ability to incorporate a lot of physical activity into my daily routine. In the capital it was a challenge due to the dangers, pollution as well as the heat. Here in Punta Cana conditions are more conducive, but there is a whole chunk of the year where the heat makes it difficult. Now that the weather is cooler I'm doing much more on foot.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Ford

2002 Ford Explorer with gasoline/propane conversion and the brightest make your eyes bleed headlights. Bought it low miles (Carfax) and its been good. I like larger vehicles for the WHEN you are in a wreck here. Walking is dangerous as the cars have no respect for a pedestrian. Plus they will not stop once they hit you. Explorer loads the whole family and acts as a mini truck. And the biggest reason of all - "the wife likes it".